My Adventures Through Theology and Beyond discussion

50 views
Other > The Gender of God

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) lol well generally everyone says him when talking about god like you just did so yeah....


Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "Hey Lindsay I want to hear what you think of that clip by John Haught..I have never heard an atheist view on it."

I thought Lindsay was a deist?


Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments No, I don't think He does. We just use "He" because of past cultural reasons and certain...erm...misogynistic view points. And because we have no gender-neutral pronoun that refers to a person.


Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments Against women. It technically is the adjective form of "hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women", which I suppose is a bit strong in context and a bit of a generalization, but it still works.


*Mrs. Brightside* Hehe. I think god is a man, since we're all part it. You know..WoMAN and just MAN? Lol. God took Adam's rib to form Eve with it. (okay. I don't know if that's right, but I know it's somewhere around that). So, yeah! But I have no clue what god looks like since we're all "In his image".


*Mrs. Brightside* Well. You know how it says he creates us in his own image?? Okay, you might know that..But I basically mean that we alll look like him..Ugh! It's hard to explain, since what I just wrote about it looks weird ^•^ but that's what I meant..and yes, I think he's a man.


message 7: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) Girl4beluga wrote: "Cody wrote: "lol well generally everyone says him when talking about god like you just did so yeah...."

and???"


lol nothing I just found it ironic that you are calling someone a he when asking what are thoughts on his gender.... did that make any sense.


message 8: by *Mrs. Brightside* (last edited Oct 10, 2010 06:31PM) (new)

*Mrs. Brightside* Girl4beluga wrote: "So we physically look like him?? Is that what you are saying because that is not at all how I interpreted it.

Lol, yeah. I...I wasn't thinking that too, but it makes sense to me. Unless the whole "In his image" thing meant the way we act /: I'm still not for sure, but that's what I'm mainly thinking about.

Okay why??"

....Why I think he's a guy??


*Mrs. Brightside* I think he's a guy...Because aren't we all? We're all known as man. Mankind. Human or Homo Sapien. Homo Sapien means "Wise man" and "Knowing man.".


message 10: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) that makes alot of sense


*Mrs. Brightside* Lindsay wrote: "The reason we are called "man" is because when the English language was invented then women weren't even considered human, just objects to be owned and controlled by their husbands. That's why we'..."

Oohh, okay. Yeah, I forgot.


message 12: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "And because we have no gender-neutral pronoun that refers to a person."

I can't speak for all languages, but I know that Russian has a neuter pronoun and God is still referred to as a masculine object.


*Mrs. Brightside* Lol. I don't even know really! What Lindsay said makes sense...I'm gonna have to read the bible today. Theeeen I might remember something. Hey, do you remember what topic we were in when we were talking about the creation stories??


message 14: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments No :/ Sowwy


message 15: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments ...That's probably it xD


*Mrs. Brightside* Haha, okay!


message 17: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do the bible tells us that God created man out of his own image. I believe that God is a man.


Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments I was always under the impression that "man" meant "mankind" rather than people with XY sex chromosomes.


message 19: by Dragonrider (new)

Dragonrider N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "the bible tells us that God created man out of his own image. I believe that God is a man."

I agree


*Mrs. Brightside* N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "the bible tells us that God created man out of his own image. I believe that God is a man."
See, I think I was thinking that too...I still have to read thr bible to find out.

Wow, G4B


Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments Here is the verse I believe is being referenced:

"So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them."


*Mrs. Brightside* Oh, okay. So yeah, I think that's true. Well..I find that pretty much true


message 23: by Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (last edited Oct 11, 2010 05:53PM) (new)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments Beluga Girl, you make me smile. (Not to be creepy or anything...;))


Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments I don't think he has any, but I can't say I've thought it over too much. I've always imagined him as more or less incorporeal. I don't think he has chromosome either.


Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments What do you mean?


message 26: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "I agree..completely not to mentions the traits we uselessly assume are Godly are woman traits"

xD


message 27: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do what makes you guys think that God might be a girl?


message 28: by ♥ Rachel♥ (last edited Oct 14, 2010 06:52PM) (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "what makes you guys think that God might be a girl?"

What makes you think God might be a boy? :P
And, I've no opinion on the matter, beyond the quick musing that if there is a God, this God likely has no gender, as G4b says.


*Mrs. Brightside* Haha, hmmm...


message 30: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do ♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "what makes you guys think that God might be a girl?"

What makes you think God might be a boy? :P
And, I've no opinion on the matter, beyond the quick musing th..."


Genesis 1:26 (New International Version)

Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."


message 31: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do Girl4beluga wrote: "So? Could it not also be save to interpret this as in God giving us traits as in compassion, love, relationships rather then giving us his nose, mouth, face. (and by the way the word "man" is used ..."

God created man before he created woman. Let go back to the first story. Adam and Eve. When God created Adam, he was out of God's image. Not out of God's traits but image. Adam was lonely so God created Woman out of Man.
He is talking about man man, not mankind.


message 32: by Dibily Do (last edited Oct 15, 2010 11:14AM) (new)

Dibily Do I already know what your going to side with...and plus, we cant get into a creation debate because its off topic


message 33: by Dibily Do (last edited Oct 15, 2010 02:00PM) (new)

Dibily Do Girl4beluga wrote: "You are so sexist, And "image" means different things in different contexts. Not to mention "likeness" is complete different then "imagine". I am not going into it much because you know my views on..."

just like you say about Evolution over Creation, Evolution is more probable. Its more probable here to think that God is a man because the bible supports it and not "He is a girl".
Just like your "evidence" supports evolution, my evidence supports my theory


message 34: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments I don't think god has a gender


*Mrs. Brightside* ...Mmm...Really?


message 36: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 336 comments I think alot of people don't see god as having a gender


message 37: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "No it doesn't!! The Bible hardly classify as evidence. Any why does it matter? But please tell me God's need to have a cock why don't you?"

Ahhh, but the Bible may imply it...let us also not forget that it was written (or compiled, whichever you prefer) by men.


message 38: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments It may also just have been something they took for granted; men are higher in status than women, so therefore God is male. Duh.


*Mrs. Brightside* Lol, awkward...Hehe.


message 40: by Heather (new)

Heather (HeatherDStewart) I believe that God is male. We are his children, He's our Father. That's what I think on this subject.


message 41: by Heather (new)

Heather (HeatherDStewart) Ok, so I believe that their is a Heavenly Mother and Father, the Father is God. He is everyone's Father, to us on earth and those who chose to follow Satan. To my religion this life's purpose is to get to the Celestial Kingdom (the highest of the heavens). We believe that to get there you have to be baptized and married (and of course be obedient and all that good stuff) (also we believe in work for the dead where people on Earth can go be baptized or sealed for a person who has died and they get to choose on whether or not to accept). We need to be married to go to the Celestial Kingdom because when you are there, you become gods and goddesses and you create your own worlds and get to send your children down there just like how God is doing with us.


message 42: by Emily (new)

Emily | 37 comments Why do you have to be married?


Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 297 comments Heather, are you Mormon? Those beliefs sound very familiar.


*Mrs. Brightside* I'm starting to think Mormon people are cool(;


message 45: by Heather (new)

Heather (HeatherDStewart) Yeah, I'm Mormon :).
You have to be married so you can have children.


message 46: by Emily (new)

Emily | 37 comments What if you don't want children and don't want to get married?

And you don't have to be married. I have two bastard sisters.


*Mrs. Brightside* Lol Air. Why did you say you have two bastard sisters?


message 48: by Emily (new)

Emily | 37 comments Bastard, as in the original meaning. Their parents weren't married. Jeez.


message 49: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 965 comments Procreation is necessary to get into the Celestial Kingdom? How...unintended for today's society :P


message 50: by *Mrs. Brightside* (last edited Oct 20, 2010 06:15PM) (new)

*Mrs. Brightside* Air wrote: "Bastard, as in the original meaning. Their parents weren't married. Jeez."

Well! But okay.


« previous 1 3
back to top