Ling Period 8 World Lit. I 2010-11 discussion

Haroun > Practicality v. Imagination: Ch. 7 - 10

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana | 19 comments Mod
How has our reading and discussion influenced your thinking on the following topic?

Is it more valuable to be practical, or to be imaginative? Why?

Support your ideas with specific references to characters, events, and quotations in Haroun (Ch. 7 - 10). Read, and build on what your classmates say before posting (rather than repeating what's already been said).

I also encourage you to incorporate connections to other stories, fictional and/or real (e.g. historical).

message 2: by Sami (new)

Sami | 10 comments After now reading more into the book I still think being imaginative is more important then being practical. I think it is more important because you can be practical while being imaginative. In the book everyone had to be imaginative to defeat Khattam-Shud, but it was being practical because they needed to defeat him. Whenever you are in a hard situation you need to be practical and get out of it, but sometimes the only way you can get out of a situation is by being imaginative. This is why I think being imaginative is more important then being practical.

message 3: by Russell (new)

Russell Schmidt | 11 comments I think it is important to have a good balance of the two. If you are too practical it is hard to have fun and enjoy yourself If you are too imaginative then you will never be able to live in the "real world" and you wont be able to be serious. It is important to have a practical side and a imaginative side that balance each other out.

message 4: by Adi (new)

Adi Weisz | 2 comments I also agree with russel but i belive that you should be practically imaginative. By that I mean that you should be imaginative with a practical aspect to it. When Haroun wished on the wish water (the second time) he was using his imagination to think of having day and night in Kahani, but he was also bieng practically by guessing what would happen to the shadows once there was sun above them and how it would help him and the Gupwalas defeat Khattum-Shud.

message 5: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 7 comments I believe both are of equal importance and they are both essential in life. Imagination is what sparks us to create anything. It allows us to think outside of the box and have a better sense of creativity and innovation. Practicality allows us to be level-headed, efficient, and realistic. For instance, Mr. Sengupta was very practical and did not believe in telling stories that weren't true and as a result ended up with Soraya.On the other hand,the only way Rashid could tell stories was by using his imagination. Therefore, it is essential to have both imagination and practicality

message 6: by Amit.s. (new)

Amit.s. | 9 comments i think being imaginative is more valueable then being practical. Being practical cant really push you into making your own discoveries, inventions and thoughts. If you are imaginative you can have your own way of solving problems, for example haroun couldnt have made his wish so effective if he havent had any imagination. If you have a strong imagination you can help yourself and the rest of the world by having new ideas about everything.

message 7: by Anthony (new)

Anthony | 9 comments I think that a good balance of imagination and practicality is the best. Being imaginative allows one to establish new ideas and fantasies. Also, when you look at things from an imaginative point of view, it has a lot more fun into it. However, being practical is also very important. Some things are meant to be taken seriously. For example, in the story, Rashid lost his wife because he was too imaginative and rarely looked at things from a practical point of view. I think that it is best to be imaginative, but practical when one needs to be.

message 8: by Talia (new)

Talia Marom | 10 comments I think imagination and practicality are both equally important because if your imagination is too creative then you can never take something serious. But if you are practical all the time then you will never have fun. So therefore a balance between the two, imagination and practicality would be perfect. Not too boring but not too silly.

message 9: by Melissa (last edited Oct 11, 2010 06:20PM) (new)

Melissa M | 8 comments I beleive that practicality is as important as imganination. There are times in life when its fun to fantasize and live in your own world but there are also times when you need to be practical and face the problem, not just run away and hide in that imaginary world. In Haroun Mr. Sengupta and Rashid are opposites. Mr. sengupta is practical and lives a boring, uneventful life as a clerk while Rashid is living his life through the many exciting stories that he tells. Although being imaginative sounds more fun than being practical, Rashid's imagination is what caused him to lose his wife to Mr. Sengupta. I think that there needs to be an equal balance between the two in order to live a good life.

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark Dudko | 2 comments I think it is very important to have a good balance of the both. I think this because one complements the other like to plug the Sea of stories as Khattem-Shud is trying to do he would almost have to have some imagination and ideas on how to do this incredible feat that would live in infamy. However on the vice versa side of this to stop Khattem-Shud the Guppes had to be practical and not be that imaginative and use a simple battleplan that would win this great war.