Reading the Chunksters discussion

Anna Karenina
This topic is about Anna Karenina
Archived 2010 Group Reads > Anna Karenina 28: Part VII - Chapters 1-10

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LynnB (new) - added it

LynnB We are getting towards the end of this book! What are your thoughts on this section?

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (jeninseattle) | 140 comments I like in this section that the story turned back to Anna and her situation. I'm still perplexed by her denial of her doughter, but I do understand her conundrum of having to chose between her son and Vronsky.

It concerns me that she is so worried about hanging on to Vronsky, although I suppose for a woman in her situation in this time, its a very real concern. I can feel the mounting pressure in her about her choices.

message 3: by LynnB (new) - added it

LynnB I don't know about this story now. The pressure is mounting and she is feeling stressed by it all....and yet I don't really see why she is feeling pressure. The story just doesn't show why she should be feeling all this. It mentions how society feels about her, but that's about it. We don't see it in her everyday life. Her stress doesn't seem proportional to the facts of her life.

She is so clingy to Vronsky that I understand why he is turning from her and their relationship.

message 4: by LynnB (new) - added it

LynnB Want to add that I found the story setting at the club (which is a good chunk of the chapters, after all) to be an easy section to read and it was interesting to see what an upper-class club was like.

message 5: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (jeninseattle) | 140 comments I agree Lynn. I think I know in my head why she is so stressed out about her situation, but it's kind of difficult to internalize it and feel it. Just because she is shunned by 'society' doesn't seem to be equal to all the unhappiness that she is feeling here. And it makes me wonder if Tolstoy is trying to tell us that it's Anna who should change or if it's society that should change.