Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Member's Chat > Bought any new YA?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Has anyone bought any new YA lately?

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) I'm going to make a plug for "Little Brother" by Cory Doctorow. It's the best book I've read in a very long time.

I just finished "Small Steps" by Louis Sachar. It's a sequel to "Holes" that follows Armpit and X-Ray after they leave Camp Green Lake. It's very, very different from "Holes" but it's very good too.

message 3: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

I've heard about this book Little Brother... I hear it is a YA book for adults and that it is excellent. I am going to check it out.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 24, 2008 10:10AM) (new)

This one is borderline YA--good for adult audiences as well. I just finished BLACK HOLE, a graphic novel by Charles Burns. It was freaky-deaky, loaded with metaphor and commentary on the alienation that goes on in high school. It offered no resolution; it just "reported". If you're offended by sex and full nudity, this is not your book.

Not new books, but I'm reading two by Gail Giles right now: WHAT HAPPENED TO CASS MCBRIDE and SHATTERED GLASS. Picking up on an earlier discussion, I think these are two by a female author that would appeal to boys. I also agree with an earlier post that Alex Flinn's first two novels, BREATHING UNDERWATER and BREAKING POINT are in the same category.

message 5: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Stiefvater (maggie_stiefvater) I've heard wonderful thing about LITTLE BROTHER too -- it's all over the internet.

My editor just sent me a nice big box of new hardcovers (nice to be loved, right) and the one I just read last week was SONG OF THE SPARROW. It was a historical retelling of the Lady of Shalott in verse. It was quite nicely done -- my 17 year old sister loved it but I thought I'd have liked it better in prose.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethoverton) I'm loving Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle trilogy right now - I read both A Great and Terrible Beauty and Rebel Angels pretty quickly and it's taking me longer to read The Sweet Far Thing because I've been so busy lately. The books have been amazing so far!

message 7: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

I am really looking forward to the Secret Circle by LJ SMith. It looks like they are re-releasing it and I absolutely loved this series when I was a teen.

message 8: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Stiefvater (maggie_stiefvater) Oooh, me too, Angie -- I just saw that one reviewed on a blog and I put it on my wish list.

And I just got LITTLE BROTHER from the library. Definitely looking forward to starting it.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I read the first and third of Ms. Bray's trilogy. They were a little too long for me, but I can see a teenage girl just eating them up.

I've been reading Alex Flinn and Gail Giles. Breaking Bad and Breathing Underwater from Flinn and Shattering Glass and The Rules of Survival from Giles. I only ended up liking BREATHING UNDERWATER. I posted a review on my page if you're interested.

message 10: by Cat (new)

Cat (beyondelsewhere) (Hi! I'm new to this group!)

The Secret Circle trilogy has been one of my most prized book collections and I have kept it with me all these years - it's survived a bunch of moves, a "book cleaning" when I got older and a house fire. I am tempted to pick it up when it is re-released again as a back up. I did a post about it on my book blog about a year ago.

I just read Why I Let My Hair Grow Out, by Maryrose Wood, and loved it! I now have the second one on my radar.

Also, The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong. It's her first YA debut and it was ok. Many other people seem to have liked it more than I did, but I didn't hate it. :)

message 11: by Lisa (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:51AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I'm getting The Hunger Games later this week. I am so thrilled.

message 12: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Stiefvater (maggie_stiefvater) Lisa, you're gonna love THE HUNGER GAMES! It's amazing! (welcome, Cat!)

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) My Recent YA Purchases Are:

When I Was A Soldier- Valerie Zenatti
The Messenger- Markus Zusak
Marked- P.C. Cast&Kristin Cast
Betrayed- " "
Chosen- " "

message 14: by stephanie (new)

stephanie (furies) | 12 comments I buckled and got Thirteen Reasons Why Not because the wait at the library was ridiculous (I had already waited 4 months and probably had another four to go!) and am looking forward to that. I'll get John Green's new book, Paper Towns, when it comes out. I also got and finished Maureen Johnson's latest book. (if you don't read her blog, you should - it's hilarious!)

I am most excited, I think, about Ever Night, which was written by one of my very very good friends, and has been getting decent reviews for a debut novel. (Plus the second installment is done, so that's exciting!)

As for City of Bones, for personal reasons involving the author, I can't read it. Or, I'll read it when the wait at the library is more mellow. It kind of makes me sick that it's so popular, but Cassie always did know how to cobble together a decent story . . . I've heard it's good though. So.

message 15: by Patty (new)

Patty | 18 comments I loved I AM The MESSENGER, and so did the boys in my book club. In fact it was their favorite book read and discussed. They felt Zusak really nailed the feelings of teenage boys and greatly identified with the protagonist.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

These are great suggestions; I been introduced to several authors/titles I wasn't aware of. Thanks everyone.

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Our pleasure Steph :)....what are book friends for.

message 18: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) Patty, I'm going to check that book out.

message 19: by Katie (new)

Katie | 1 comments Quickly chiming in with:
Shift by Jennifer Bradbury
Frozen Fire by Tim Bowler
All of the Jaclyn Moriarty books (if you haven't read them)
The Disreputible History of Frankie Landau Banks by E. Lockhart
and
Freak Show by James St. James

I loved Little Brother. Wonder what other librarians are going to make of his instructions on bypassing firewalls?!

message 20: by Swati (new)

Swati I'm reading The Red Glass by Laura Resau. So far, I love the language!

message 21: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) I just got a copy of "Feed" by M.T. Anderson.

message 22: by Marie (new)

Marie (librarydaisygmailcom) Sandi,
I liked "Feed" very much. I highly recommend the audio format of the book, it felt like you were part of the feed.

message 23: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Stiefvater (maggie_stiefvater) Feed is awesome . . . fangirling sigh . . .

message 24: by Shwazzy (new)

Shwazzy | 1 comments The Adoration of Jenna Fox

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

Audrey Wait!

Gone

Those were all good and they're all new. :)

--jenni

message 25: by Nikki (last edited Jul 26, 2008 11:20AM) (new)

Nikki (nikk329) | 32 comments I just bought a copy of Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer. I hear the series is pretty good. Has anyone read them?
And I also picked up Ironside by Holly Black

message 26: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (brittaread) I read I Am the Messenger and loved it. I just finished Marked and am working on Betrayed now. It's hard to put down.

message 27: by Alicia (last edited Jul 26, 2008 02:39PM) (new)

Alicia (brittaread) I read the first Artemis Fowl recently and just got the second. I liked it a lot. I'll let you know about the second.

message 28: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

What is Feed?

I am planning on reading the Artemis Fowl series after I finish the Stephanie Plum series (not YA). I can't wait to read it I only hear good things about it.

message 29: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Stiefvater (maggie_stiefvater) Feed is a YA by M. T. Anderson -- a future world (though I don't really think of it as classic sci-fi) where everyone has a computer feed in their head. Sounds weird . . . and I guess it is, but it's wonderful in a brutal, wonderfully written way.

I read the first Artemis Fowl -- Artemis was a very nice and snarky character, but they're definitely MG not YA.

message 30: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikk329) | 32 comments May I ask what MG is?

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 25 comments I've got the second to last Artemis Fowl right now, and recently read the first Georgia Nicholson book. I want to read Melissa Marr's newest, because I loved Wicked Lovely and have got The Perks Of Being a Wallflower on reserve at the library (which I know, at least at my B&N, is not YA, but it seems to pop up on a lot of teens favorite book lists).

Feed sounds good, too. I'll add it to the TBR list.

message 32: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (giraffe_days) I've been buying lots of older YA books actually. Catching up on old classics. Not just YA though, some of them are technically "pre-teens", though it gets to the point where I'm no longer sure which belongs where!

I picked up the first Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Wizard of Oz and Little House in the Big Woods. A new one I bought is The Mysterious Benedict Society.

I also have to-read The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong, The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot, The Stone Key by Isobelle Carmody, City of Bones, Gatty's Tale and way too many more!

message 33: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) I'm assuming that MG stands for "middle grade."

message 34: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Stiefvater (maggie_stiefvater) Yup, MG = "middle grade" (8-12 years old)
YA is generally 12-18 -- the YA I write is upper YA, so 14-18.

message 35: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (giraffe_days) I've seen "pre-teen" for that age group but this is the first time I've come across "MG". Sometimes I just refer to those books as "kids", but I'm not happy that that's a good category name :)

message 36: by Nikki (last edited Jul 30, 2008 05:47AM) (new)

Nikki (nikk329) | 32 comments I figured it meant something like that but I just wanted to make sure, thanks Maggie & sandi

message 37: by Anna (new)

Anna I just read Skin by Adrienne Maria Vrettos. Anyone read it?

message 38: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissacwalker) I've read SKIN. I really enjoyed it. Very dark but from a great narrator's POV.

melissacwalker.com

message 39: by Sandi (last edited Aug 02, 2008 08:06AM) (new)

Sandi (sandikal) I just picked up a copy of "The Book of Lost Things" by John Connolly. I've put it at the top of my to-read list. It's not marketed for young adults, but it looks like something that young adults might like. I found it in both the science fiction/fantasy and the literature sections of Borders.

message 40: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Sandi, I loved The Book of Lost Things and it definitely could appeal to YA!

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 5 comments Little Brother was excellent and necessary -- my son loved it too (he's 14). We've got a grape in the freezer, getting ready to microwave it and see what happens...

I'm looking forward to Melissa Walker's third book in her Violet series (Violet in Private), which comes out Tuesday. Can't wait to see what happens next.

And I finally read Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. It was great! Looking forward to the movie in October.

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I recently got "Impulse" by Ellen Hopkins. The next book I want to get is "The Red Pyramid" , the first book of Rick Riordan's new series.

message 43: by Roshini (new)

Roshini | 79 comments I've been terrible - bought 7 books this month alone. The Body Finder, If I Stay, Looking for JJ, the list goes on!

message 44: by Tara (new)

Tara I just picked up The Dark Divine and Lies with a gift card I got for mother's day!
Then the big Scholastic Sale for Teachers hit and I picked up even more... Song of the Sparrow, The Battle of the Labyrinth, Dr. Franklin's Island, and The Cabinet of Wonders.

message 45: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I got "The Red Pyramid" by Rick Riordan this evening :)

message 46: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I just got "Spirit Bound" by Richelle Mead. Can't wait to read it.

message 48: by Ariel (new)

Ariel | 21 comments I bought Fang but haven't actually read it yet . I'm scareddd tooo , lmao .

message 49: by Morgan (new)

Morgan F (awesomeness1) | 2 comments I recently acquired Lies, If I Stay, Perfect Chemistry, and The Morganville Vampires.

Shopping trip to Borders :)

message 50: by Anne (new)

Anne (ecyore) | 5 comments My brother bought me Spirit Bound this morning a-and it was.... lovely! <3

xD

« previous 1