Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

September/October 2009 > Let the Great World Spin - Colum McCann

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LynnB (last edited Jan 05, 2011 04:49PM) (new)

LynnB Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann

Set in the New York City of 1974, this novel captures the lives of several people whose lives intertwine during this day. The stories are linked together by a tightrope walker's walk between the Twin Towers. The characters include a monk in the Bronx; his brother, newly arrived from Ireland; a prostitute from the Bronx; an artist; and a Park Avenue matron and her husband (a judge) who lost their son in Vietnam. Very interesting story and one in which I was curious with each character as to how it would meld into the others' stories. I gave it 4 stars.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) I read this some time ago, I loved how everything all came together....

message 3: by LynnB (new)

LynnB My local book club just discussed Let the Great World Spin and some of the people had also read To Reach the Clouds: My High Wire Walk Between the Twin Towers, which is by the guy who did the real walk that is the center point of the story. We had a great discussion of the book.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie This book was on SO many "Best of 2009" lists last year and I STILL haven't read it! I need to get to the library and get my hands on this book.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 137 comments I own this one and haven't read it yet; don't feel bad!!

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Motto | 450 comments Sometimes a book just doesn't "speak to me" and this was one of those books. But everyone I know who has read this book raves about it. Usually when this happens, rather than read the book again I listen to it on audio. Case in point, Bel Canto. Didn't like it when I read it, loved it on audio. Unfortunately Let the Great World Spin does not appear to be in audio form. Does anyone know if this is really the case?

message 7: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Stephanie wrote: "This book was on SO many "Best of 2009" lists last year and I STILL haven't read it! I need to get to the library and get my hands on this book."

I kept putting off reading it because it just didn't appeal to me - not premise, not cover, not discussion about it. But...I had to read it for my local book club and found it to be one of those books where I wondered why I had put it off.

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Nancy wrote: "Sometimes a book just doesn't "speak to me" and this was one of those books. But everyone I know who has read this book raves about it. Usually when this happens, rather than read the book again I ..."

The Red Tent was this book for me.