What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > The Lottery?? chicklit in Danielle Steel style

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) | 30 comments My memory of this book is sketchy at best, so I'll be incredibly impressed if anybody manages to solve this riddle for me. However, it's been bugging me for 10 years, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I have a vague recollection that the book is called "The Lottery" or something similar. However, I tried to do a search on that, and it definitely wasn't among the top hits. The cover may or may not have had the drawing of a black cat on it. I seem to recall the back-ground colour being purple or dark read, but again, these are just speculations.

I read it in 1995 and think it was relatively new. It's a chick-lit in a style similar to Danielle Steel. I hardly remember any of the plot except that it was a romance, and the male love interest at some point breaks into the female love interest's house in order to surprise her at night. I think she lived in a house on a cliff near water?

Very vague, I know, but you've had 100% success rate with my questions so far, so I hope somebody will know what I'm talking about.

message 2: by KJP (new)

KJP (petersen) | 9 comments I know of an excellent short story called the Lottery by Shirley Jackson... but your memory of the plot doesnt fit.
K

message 3: by Dina (new)

Dina | 37 comments David Baldacci had a book about the lottery but the main character lived in a trailer, if I remember correctly...

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) | 30 comments Thanks K and Dina, but it's neither of those - it's a novel, not a short story, and the main character is a woman who definitely doesn't live in a trailer.

Thanks for trying though.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) The Lottery Winner by Mary Higgins Clark was published in 1995. It's about Alvirah Meehan, a former cleaning lady who wins the lottery and her husband, Willy.

message 6: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 147 comments Could it be Ballerina, by Edward Stewart. The cover has purple ballet shoes on it. It's a romance about 2 ballerinas, Stephanie and Christine (I think). There are 2 men dancers Wally (an American) and Sasha (a Russian). I think Sasha is gay - can't really remember. Both girls fall for Wally (I think), he breaks into Stephanie's apartment to surprise her one night, even though he's romantically involved with Christine.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39865 comments Mod
Maria, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39865 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Maria, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.