What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Two Boys Like to Jump Out of a Barn for Fun

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bronson (new)

Bronson | 3 comments This is a child/young adult fiction novel. The protagonist and his friend enjoy climbing a ladder in the protagonist's barn up to the hayloft and then jumping out of a small window into a pile of hay below. That's really all I remember; I read this book when I was around 11 or 12. Can anyone help me out?

Michelle Mulford | 112 comments This might be The Wheel on the School. I vaguely remember a scene like that in there. Or maybe Farmer Boy?

message 3: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 373 comments I don't remember that specifically, but Harris and Me by Gary Paulsen might have had something like that.

message 4: by Jena (new)

Jena | 40 comments A novel, eh? I seem to remember something similar in a short story called The Stone Boy, which I read in jr. high. But even though it was a long short story (or it seemed so at the time). And they were brothers, I think, not friends, in the story. I don't remember much about the story beyond that, except that one of the kids dies.

Thought I'd throw this suggestion out there, just in case.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 200 comments Didn't Fern and a friend do that in Charlotte's Web? The other book it reminds me of is Soup by Robert Newton Peck.

message 6: by Joseph (last edited Oct 14, 2010 05:52AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments Kate wrote: "Didn't Fern and a friend do that in Charlotte's Web?"
Actually, FYI, that was Fern and her brother Avery. They would swing on a rope from the top of the hayloft out the barn door.

message 7: by Leela4 (new)

Leela4 | 117 comments I think The Great Brain had it too. In that one one of the main character's friends gets hurt, gets gangrene, and has to learn to live with a peg leg. I may be confusing it with the movie, which simplified and modernized some of the details.

message 8: by Mel (new)

Mel (sea0tter12) | 38 comments I was just going to say The Great Brain, too. I remember something like that scene. There were several in that series, too. Great books!

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily | 140 comments Another book with a scene like that is Then There Were Five.

message 10: by Eric (new)

Eric Flynn (ericflynn) | 9 comments Perhaps Stephen King borrowed this from another story (he does this a lot in the series I am about to mention) but there is a scene exactly as you describe in Wolves of the Calla, where Jake and his friend Benny jump out of a hayloft into a pile of hay.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessdaygeorge) | 177 comments There's a Stephen King short story where a boy and his sister jump out of the hayloft into a pile of hay. One day the ladder breaks and the sister is hanging from the hayloft, and the boy tries to move the hay under her a handful at a time before she falls.

message 12: by Ken (new)

Ken Lee | 1 comments Jessica wrote: "There's a Stephen King short story where a boy and his sister jump out of the hayloft into a pile of hay. One day the ladder breaks and the sister is hanging from the hayloft, and the boy tries to..."

That's Kings 'Last Rung on the Ladder', a very memorable story.

message 13: by Cornelia (new)

Cornelia Shields | 52 comments Three kids do this in "Ginger Pye" by Eleanor Estes, but Rachel chickens out and allows her brother Jerry and their friend the other boy to continue.

message 14: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
The OP hasn't even bothered coming back in here and responding to any of the posts. I sent him/her a PM, but I'm thinking this can be moved down to Abandoned by the next Mod to read the thread.