Outhouse of Uncool discussion

I'm so nerdy I went to the Renaissance Faire

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Today I went to the Bristol Renaissance Fair with my wife and kids...we had a good time...anybody ever been to one of these before? Pretty wild. Some people get all dressed up and take the event very seriously. The shops were cool, as well as some of the shows. We saw a joust and an acrobat show. Essentially, however, the boys were focused on snowcones. What do others think of these Ren Faires?

Here are some pics:

http://randomanthonyreturns.blogspot....

And here's the link to the faire.

http://www.renfair.com/bristol/

message 2: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) I also attended one, RA. I enjoyed it. Good food. Very quirky people. Fun shows. The show that sticks out in my mind was the Mud Show. It was basically Beowulf, but the actors were ankle-deep in mud, and the two benches closest to the "stage" got pretty dirty themselves. That's why my wife and I were sitting half a dozen rows back.
And, what I enjoyed the most was talking to some knowledgeable historians/UKophiles? who were able to take the little knowledge I had and tell me the name of my family's Scottish clan. So, in a matter of minutes, I was able to learn what I hadn't been able to figure out after years of (half-assed) searching on my own.

Jackie "the Librarian" The one time I went to a Renaissance Fair it was a field trip with my Star Trek Club. No, we didn't go in our Star Trek uniforms. Heh.
It seemed pretty fun, although we had horrible weather - rain and mud, and pretty chilly, too, for Texas anyway.

message 4: by Dave (last edited Jul 13, 2008 07:11PM) (new)

Dave Russell Jackie, did you travel there by going through the "Guardian of Forever", or by sling shotting around the sun?

I'm sure there's another way to travel back in time, but I can't remember it.

message 5: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) You can always just follow the Borg, right?

Jackie "the Librarian" It would have had to be not just back in time, but into another dimension as well, to find a Renaissance Faire in Texas, you realize.
For that, you need a malfunctioning transporter, a la "Mirror, Mirror".

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I have also been! There was a joust, and the champion picked me to be his Queen of Beauty for the day. Essentially what that means is that I got to tie a favor onto his lance and when he won I got a crown of flowers. So /there/. Fantasy book dreams lived out! :)

My excuse is that I was dragged there by my raised-at-science-fiction-cons-and-ren-faires best friend who actually performs at the things in a celtic-medieval type band. Seriously. She plays the bohdran and everything. They make up "filks,", which is, I'm told, putting new, medieval type words to other well known tunes and perform them. So I went to see her do that. And you know what, it was pretty funny! And they are a great source of celtic themed jewelry, which is awesome because that's most of the jewelry I own. I usually only get to replenish that once a year at the Irish festival (which yes, I also attend every year. with my parents. 'cause my dad is crazy into our heritage, and its held father's day weekend, so we do what he wants to do. 'sides. I like Celtic music and beer. Yes, oh well, I'm nerdy. :))

... there were some really weird people there though. Needless to say. And dudes who really think if they get down on one knee in a Robin Hood costume and give you a flower that you'll fuck them behind a tree.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) MEAD!

Jackie "the Librarian" Mead, Amanda?

message 10: by Amanda (last edited Jul 13, 2008 09:24PM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Honey wine at the ren faires. Yummmmmmmmy! Have you had it? Some brands are better than others, but I've always liked the mead at faire.

Also, a positive note on Ren Faire: those faire dudes like big-boobied chubby girls--it's like the one time gals who look like me can pick up more guys than the toothpick girls can.

message 11: by B. (new)

B. (briant) | 2 comments I adore big boobied chubby girls. ( and renaissance fairs, as well... I am a big ol'nerd...;)

message 12: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jul 14, 2008 04:00AM) (new)

RandomAnthony And dudes who really think if they get down on one knee in a Robin Hood costume and give you a flower that you'll fuck them behind a tree.

This might be the only time guys in Robin Hood costumes every get to talk to girls, so I have a degree of empathy for them, but I don't recommend the whole, uh, behind the tree thing.

There was as sense of community amongst the nerdy, well, reenactors or whatever you'd call them. I don't mean the paid ones, I mean the ones who seemed to get dressed up for fun. They all seemed to know each other, like the Ren Faire was their big party.

Rusty, yeah, there were some decent bookstores, too...I resisted the urge to buy anything but the bookstores were cool.

(Star Trek clubs take field trips? The mind reels.)

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly RA: Yes, I try to be as nice as possible, since I had a few friends like them in high school. The first time, you say, "thank you, good sir," and laugh and move on. The many other times they try to approach you again? Theeeen I lost patience. But there were only a few of those. :)

... and yeah, the behind the tree thing sounds very uncomfortable. Bark. Ow.

I do agree about the sense of community. Rather like high school cliques of nerds, except most of these people don't care about how nerdy people think they are anymore. Or at least they aren't as defensive about it amongst their own kind. I've always been kind of on the fringe of a community or two of those, and its rather charming to visit. They just have so much /fun/ with what they do, and are geniunely happy to pretend to be someone else for an afternoon, from a prettier, simpler place. And really, can't we all sympathize with that? Plus, where else would I /actually/ get to attempt to speak Olde English, unless I got cast in a Shakespeare play? :) I enjoyed it, I did.

Also, RA? Great pictures!

message 14: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Well, Kel, those guys aren't hitting on me, so it's easy for me to have empathy for them...sooner or later I imagine you have to put the hammer down, if only to put them out of their misery.

It was funny listening to them in groups of their own...I think they were trying to figure out if they were supposed to be in Olde England or not when one of their cell phones went off...oops.

Oh, and thanks about the pictures...

message 15: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I guess I'm going to be the only "wet blanket" here. My roommate used to make me go every year when I lived in Dallas, TX. Hell, torture, repugnance...all words that come to mind! Hot, miserable, smelly, bad food (people walking around with F*ing turkey legs - GACK!) People walking around in pseudo period clothing with BAD british accents insisting on calling me M'lady! I wanted to hit them all in the gob!

The shows? Bad versions of Medieval Times!

The only saving grace was the frozen lemonade.

message 16: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) If I ask what a gob is, are you going to hit me there? If so, please tell me what it is shortly before striking, so I'll have some chance of protecting it.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Actually, Amy, I agree with you. It's just not my thing.

And, Kelly, the time I went, I saw lots of behind-a-tree action. Definitely not a place I'd take the kiddies, but I understand there are family-oriented ones out there.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I've heard Ren Faires are hook-up opportunities as well, Sarah, but we saw none of that yesterday...although some of the ladies' costumes were, ahem, rather suggestive...

message 19: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) I have worked Ren Faires before. My favorite role was to be one of the washer women. Lots of cleavage and then a staged brawl by the well where everyone washes their clothing.

I love to see all the guys with swords. Rawr! And the bawdy humor of course makes me feel like I've come home.

Last time I worked a food booth, starring my enormous cleavage. Ha ha ha ha. Yay money being stuffed down my top. Oh man, I love the Ren Faire.

message 20: by Kelly (last edited Jul 14, 2008 11:00AM) (new)

Kelly Sarah: Yeah, I think the smaller ones tend to be more family friendly, since people get a bit shyer, even in medieval garb, about getting caught in those situations.

RA: /Suggestive/ is one word for it. Some of these ladies pay upwards of 500 dollars for those corsets they're wearing, and so you know, they want to get their money's worth out of it. I mean, granted their bosoms are very... impressive. I bow down. I believe some of them could crush me with them. And of course the excuse is that they're dressed as "tavern wenches," so they can do whatever they like! Like those girls who dress as playboy bunnies on Halloween. What's the Mean Girls quote? "It's Halloween, the one night of the year when a girl can dress like a slut, and nobody can say a thing." Same principle applies for Ren Faires. :)

I do have sympathy, though. A lot of the nerdy boys they're trying to attract at Ren Faires don't know how to talk to girls (as you said earlier), or how to read the signs that they're interested even if they did. (While sometimes misreading signs so badly that they unintentionally stalk uninterested ones, as I noted earlier!) Sometimes, you gotta shove it in their faces. ... however you can. :) I personally had to grab my SO's face and make out with him to make him understand what I was aiming for, so.. whatever you've gotta do, girls!

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Some of these ladies pay upwards of 500 dollars for those corsets they're wearing, and so you know, they want to get their money's worth out of it. I mean, granted their bosoms are very... impressive.

Yeah, there were a few times I wanted to cover my kids' eyes, but they're young enough to focus on snow cones first and foremost...

And Char, I couldn't believe how many wenches had money stuck between their boobs...

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Makes one wonder whether the people ate Sno-Cones during the Renaissance.

message 23: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) While it’s interesting to note that the Romans invented the snow cone machine in 103 BC, this vital knowledge was later lost, depriving mankind of syrupy ice (and cute girls in cutoffs sitting around in refrigerated trailers) for many centuries. It’s a damn shame, really.

message 24: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) Personally, I am a big fan of tasteful flaunting of one's assets, as it were. And I absolutely love that the Renaissance period was appreciative of us curvy gals. There's just no way that I will ever fit in with today's standards of beauty. I will never be a 6 foot tall Barbie mutant with legs from another galaxy.

But I can totally rock the wench thing, so Yay team me!

I cop to also dressing up like some brand of voluptuous femme fatale every Halloween. Except for the year that my one year old was a bunny and I dressed in top hat and tails with a moustache drawn on. Heee!!! OMG that was so cute. There is nothing cuter than a baby in a bunny suit.

Jackie "the Librarian" Got any pictures of that, Charissa? I'd love to see that!

message 26: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Oh, tasteful, absolutely, Charissa. But I don't know if "tasteful," is the word in some cases. I'm sure it is in yours. I've definitely got curves myself, and I'll never be a stick-thin blond Barbie either. I feel that. But we don't need to show overmuch of the body to be proud of it, eh? :)

Then again, perhaps I cannot rock the wench thing as hard as you. :)

message 27: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I think you two should get in your wench costumes and wrestle. Then we'd know for sure who rocks the wench thing hardest.

message 28: by Meels (last edited Jul 14, 2008 02:59PM) (new)

Meels (amelia) Rusty, a "gob" is your mouth. As in "gob smacked", meaning: stunned, or surprised.

message 29: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jul 14, 2008 04:40PM) (new)

RandomAnthony Heh, thanks, KD.

Hey, S. Montambo, I thought the same thing! Those people looked sweltering. Maybe England was colder at the time.

message 30: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) Thank you Amelia. A fountain of knowledge, as always.

And I would like to thank everyone for affirming that I'm not a geek. Or at least that if I am, I'm not the only one.

Actually, it's really scary how many of us have been to a Ren. Fair,..... and readily admit it.

message 31: by B. (new)

B. (briant) | 2 comments Been several times... I do love the wenches with the curves, but as for the whole event...I alternate between tolerant amusement and repression of the need to get all Mercutio on someone's ass.

message 32: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) So Amelia.. does "gob shite" mean diarrhea mouth?

message 33: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) Jackie... unfortunately the only pics I have of it are with my ex husband. Not likely I can get any copies.

Kelly, I do believe we've been challenged to a mud wrestling contest. I have to say that's a first.

message 34: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Charissa, I believe you're right. I suppose well- read GR males are still... well... males.

Rock, paper, scissors for the right of the first toss into the mud?

(... I don't really know how mud wrestling challenges work... )

Jackie "the Librarian" Wait, I don't believe RA say anything about mud. He just wants you in your wench costumes while you wrestle.

I think you two should get in your wench costumes and wrestle. Then we'd know for sure who rocks the wench thing hardest.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Trust Charissa's dirty mind to go to the mud.

message 37: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) sorry, I was stuck in the Middle Ages when everything was already covered in mud.

Jackie "the Librarian" True, mud was mentioned a lot in this thread, so it's a natural assumption.
It would end up being mud wrestling just by the fact of it being at a Renaissance Faire.

message 39: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jul 15, 2008 05:51AM) (new)

RandomAnthony Charissa and Kelly, you both taunted each other on your ability to rock-out as wenches, and I merely offered the opportunity to settle the issue. I believe in public service. If your imagination directs you into mud wrestling, well then, feel free to let your minds wander:)

message 40: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony If it makes you feel better, Char and Kelly, I will challenge Donald to a series of manly contests at the Ren Faire.

(although secretly we will have a pact to not hurt each other.)

message 41: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Oh, go for it. Don ridiculous reproduction armor and try to do a joust. If you both emerge having not been trampled by your horses and/or stuck in the eye, perhaps Charissa and I reconsider! :)

message 42: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jul 15, 2008 06:59AM) (new)

RandomAnthony I've never been to a comic con. I want to go. Let's ditch the armor and go to the comic con after the Ren Faire.

What did you do at the Faire, Sherri?

message 43: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Charissa, I would translate "gob shite" as "shit head" in meaning, if not in literal translation...

message 44: by Meels (last edited Jul 15, 2008 03:06PM) (new)

Meels (amelia) Mud, Jello, Pudding, ICE CREAM...the wrestling around here always ends up in something!

(I think it was Nick that wanted ice cream, he thought the cold would give him added...uh...perks!)

message 45: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) :::::is lost in a trance thinking about RA and Donald jousting::::

:::::trips and falls in a mud puddle dressed in a corset::::

message 46: by Noran (new)

Noran Miss Pumkin The times i have gone with my best friend pammie. I have waited till she has spent all her money, then bride the beggars and other ugly looking things to taunt her to no end! a crownd forms and it becomes quite the show! she fell for it a total of 3 times!!!

message 47: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Ok, Sherri, I think I'm gonna like you! :)

Noran, poor Pammie doesn't get her feelings hurt, does she?