Paper Towns Paper Towns discussion

margo

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danny What do you think about the character margo and her maybe past experiences leading her to do what she did that night with Q?

message 2: by Laerke (last edited Sep 04, 2011 10:44AM) (new)

Laerke I really liked her, but in the end I didn't really understand her. She's still awesome, though.

message 3: by Gerd (last edited May 24, 2013 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gerd Couldn't stand her, she's an extremly selfish person that tries to manipulate everybody around her and lashes out against those that refuse to be led on by her.

I always add her up with the phrase:
"No need running, nobody's chasing"

Which sums up the source of her frustration, she runs away only to find that her parents and friends do not care enough, or, apart from Q, see too easily through her schemes to chase after her.

To add:
I'm not sure in how far any part of her past would have influenced her personality, but there's naturally always the off possibility that what Margo tries to run from is her fear to end up in the same dead end as the man whose body they find in the beginning of the novel.

Jennifer I liked Margo, but I got the impression that the author didn't fully intend to make her likable.

She left people behind and was selfish about the whole thing; but I think a lot of teenagers have that compulsion to run, they just don't act on it. The only person she actually left behind was her younger sister. She was not aware of how her running away would affect Q or her other friends. She started out cutting ties and enacting revenge on those who wronged her (it is unrealistic that there would be no consequences for the things she did). Her parents were very clear that they were simply done with her and it didn't matter whether or not she returned. When a child, especially a teenager, loses their family's love like that it is difficult to care about anything or anyone.

I do also agree with Gerd, Margo was running from the dead man. She didn't want her strings to break. The funny thing though is that where the reader would assume her strings broke (she left for negative reasons and is possibly gone forever), Margo felt that staying would cause her strings to break.

Hawraa Naqi I understand why she was faking it at the beginning, and I even sympathized her predicament when everyone had such high expectations of her. But at the ending when Q was practically saving her of being forever alone she chose being alone over going back and finally being able to be herself, which frankly, I think was a terrible decision on her part seeing as she could have had a good life... but maybe she will have a good life.
I don't dislike her but I hate the decisions she made right from the beginning. she really didn't need to play along with what people expected.

Colby I finished the book with negative views of both Q and Margo. On Margo's part, it's because she's a drama queen. On Q's part, it's because he's so damn obsessive. Still, Green crafted Margo confusingly and intricately, so it's not that I didn't enjoy her character or anything.

message 7: by Ama (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ama The only thing I liked about this book was Margo. I felt like Margo was like me in alot of ways. If this book was more about Margo and not about Q obessessing over Margo I probably would have liked it better. The ending was blahhhh but hey nothing in life is ever perfect.

message 8: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Gerd wrote: "Couldn't stand her, she's an extremly selfish person that tries to manipulate everybody around her and lashes out against those that refuse to be led on by her.

I always add her up with the phra..."

I agree completely with the part about her running away because she doesn't want to end up like the dead man.

Daisy I didn't really like her character. I mean, you just get the impression that she's trying to lead Q on all the time and she seems very selfish. Although, I guess that's what made the story more interesting.

Nati^^the insane, laughing  panda^^ omg. i hate her. even tho she would still be like my bff. still tho, selfish,weird,misteriouse(however you spell it)...

message 11: by Naya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Naya i kind of adored her. don't get me wrong, she was irritating as all hell. but i admire green for choosing to write a character who was extremely flawed and selfish rather than sticking with a cliched lead female character. she was a lot more realistic and was probably a good reflection of the inner monologue and thoughts of a lot of teenage girls. the whole, - woe is me - no one will miss me when im gone - my parents hate me - the world owes me everything. it was just really interesting to read. i love characters that i can loathe.

message 12: by Akansha (new) - added it

Akansha  Raj Margo was created to be a character who was viewed differently by everyone when no one actually saw her for who she actually was. So I can understand why there are mixed opinions on her. I personally thought she was just human and alone and confused like the rest of us, but she was still great in many ways. I can't completely love or hate her because I can't completely love or hate any regular human being.

Hannah I hated her, i hated her so much, but i wanted to be her. I thought she was fantastic and horrific at the same time. i can only describe her using oxymoron's.

Nikki Margo wasnt meant to be likable. The point was that no one really knew her not her friends or her family or Q. I think that people hate her because through the whole book Q builds her up in his mind into something more than human, but what they find is just a person. Her reasons for leaving were selfish but i understand that she didnt feel like she had a choice but to leave, she thought that all her friends had betrayed her and she knew her family wouldnt care, there was nothing left there for her. Yes she could have had a good life in Orlando but shes not the kind of person who would be happy with an ordinary life which is why she and Q went their seperate ways, though i would like to think that they eventualy get back together.

message 15: by georgia (new)

georgia i understand that she wasn't a character for people to love, so then why were all the other characters completely infatuated with her? if a character isn't meant to be likable by the reader then all the other characters shouldn't love her either. i personally do not think she was misunderstood or 'tortured' or whatever, i just found her terribly self-centered, annoying, irritating, self-obsessed and she's definitely one of those girls at school who flips out when all eyes aren't on them and that's why she ruined this book for me.

Summer Leppanen The point of Margo as a character was, in the words of John Green himself, to learn to imagine people complexly. All the characters love her because they project themselves onto her, and see what they want to. Whereas she herself feels lost because her existence is not being herself, it's her being this "idea" of a "perfect" (in one sense or another) girl to whomever she interacts with. This becomes clear by the end; Margo escapes to try and work out what "herself" means, because she's been living a lie of no one trying to find out who Margo is, they just see her for what they see her for: a warped projection of a person, an idea of a human. But Q becomes one of the first and perhaps only people to begin to imagine her complexly; to imagine that she is/might be more that what he sees her as.

Though I went into the book knowing the main theme intended by the author was "imagine people complexly," I still did not find it difficult to pick out. It seemed very clear. And yes, the book belongs to its readers far more than to its author, but I still think that to ignore this interpretation (when it is practically spelled out) is ridiculous.

message 17: by Gerd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gerd So she's angry at people because they couldn't/wouldn't see more of her than she was showing them?

Summer Leppanen Gerd wrote: "So she's angry at people because they couldn't/wouldn't see more of her than she was showing them?"

More angry at herself, I think, for letting herself get to the point where everyone does this, but also probably angry at people for refusing to want to look deeper, yes.

Karina do Vale I really like Margo. She has past experiences and shitty family issues which all leads up to her being bitchy because she has a mask in which they think Margo actually is because that's how she's always been seen but then she takes off her mask for Q and we realize why she's such a bitch and everything just ends up working out. I like the fact that her and Q didn't end up together just to prove that life isn't a bunch of fairy tale bullshit. This story is very much so like teenagers now. Putting on a mask to make others happy.

message 20: by Zena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zena she just wants yo be different her family is to typical and she wants to have fun i think she sorta has a YOLO feeling in her self

Savannah DeFreese The *idea* of Margo was infatuating: spontaneous, a little wild, creative, blah blah blah. But once more of her character is revealed, the more I began to dislike her. I liked the idea of Margo, but I didn't really like the real Margo. At the end of my book I found myself so mad at her because she seemed only concerned for herself. Honestly, who always runs away (several times, might I add) and leaves their parents and friends worried sick? And her friends travelled countless miles to go find her and all she can do is cop and attitude and did not show the slightest bit of appreciation. Yeah, definitely not okay.

message 22: by georgia (new)

georgia Savannah wrote: "The *idea* of Margo was infatuating: spontaneous, a little wild, creative, blah blah blah. But once more of her character is revealed, the more I began to dislike her. I liked the idea of Margo, bu..."

agree x1000000000000000000000

Sorrel I liked her, it's kind of hard not to like Margo, especially when she is viewed from the point of view from a person who is very much in love with her. However, I think she in many ways she still acted like a child. I mean, the whole turning up at his window sneaking out from her house and roaming round the city exacting revenge. I mean just look at when she broke into sea world. And then there's the childish running away from home and leaving clues to tell people where she is. And on some levels expecting them to care enough about her to try and find her but not thinking they'll be able to do it. Like a child I think Margo was very self-centred. Not selfish , but all she could really see was herself. I mean, she spends a night with Q and later tells him she thought she was doing a massive favour and improving his life by making him more rebellious. She's like those little kids who cover their eyes and don't think anyone else can see them.

message 24: by Gerd (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gerd Sorrel wrote: "I liked her, it's kind of hard not to like Margo, especially when she is viewed from the point of view from a person who is very much in love with her. However, I think she in many ways she still a..."

Yeah, I think that sums up Margo quite well.

Though, I don't think that Q ever really loved her; he was certainly in lust with her (I mean the night he sits besides her in the car all he has on his mind are her breasts!), and probably in love with the idea he had of her.

Karina do Vale Sorrel wrote: "I liked her, it's kind of hard not to like Margo, especially when she is viewed from the point of view from a person who is very much in love with her. However, I think she in many ways she still a..."

A+