Erin Hart Fan Club discussion

Off Topic

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Its going to be so hard to chose which one to start with.

message 2: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassiepetty) | 16 comments Mod
Start with Haunted Ground. It's the first.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, no! I am already into the other one. Is it going to make a big difference? I always seem to read stuff backwards. I am not far along so I guess I could switch over at this point.

message 4: by Cassie (new)

I think they can be read independantly. I read Haunted Ground when it came out and then anxiously awaited Lake of Sorrows.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I did start on Haunted Ground and to about page 50. I just got on to create a question but left my book in bed! sigh....out there! There are slightly too many characters for me but I may eventually get them all sorted out.

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments I agree that each book stands alone. The only common thread is the main character and the death of her sister. The first (Haunted Ground?) was the best. And I remember having trouble keeping the characters sorted, so I kind of just focused on the woman and the man who was attracted to her.

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments Hi Alice, I didn't know that about Cromwell. He was not a very nice Christian, was he? Of course, many orphans went to poor farms or work houses, as I understand. It isn't so surprising that the unwanted children would be consigned to the colonies. Even here, orphans were taken in as servants, and not really adopted. My own very great grandfather was the first Alwood to arrive in Baltimore in 1774, I believe. Just before the revolution. Here in the states, most of us can probably trace our ancestry to felons, prisoners who shipped here.

message 8: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments Alice, I agree, the geneology is fascinating. I made a half-hearted attempt to trace mine on my mother's side, and discovered that someone had already done it. We don't know if he fought in the revolution, or even what part of England he came from. The trail seems to end with him. He had a grandson named Christopher Columbus Alwood. This fellow had two wives, so there is another branch of the family out here in Washington, up north. Most of the family I know of is in Michigan and Ohio. One of my ancestors wrote a song called "The Unclouded Day," which Willie Nelson recorded some time ago. There were several preachers in my family history, too, and some professors. Education has always been valued by that part of the family.

On the other hand, My dad's parents were the original immigrants to the US. My grandfather fought in the US cavalry against Pancho Villa. I don't know much more than that. Dad did a geneology, but no one knows where it is.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Someone told me that Willie Nelson was Church of Christ which based on some of his songs I believe.

message 10: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments I am so excited that you know that song. Josiah K Alwood wrote it. How cool that we have found a connection between us. I know the Mormon Church has an amazing geneology archive.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, that is amazing to me. I think of that song as an old family song and so does my cousin Rodney. He lead the singing in church but it was a very strange type of singing back then as they often used to just sing the notes. He did sing the words to that song.

I need to get back with them to update but no energy. There is one of their churches very close to me but I keep telling myself I will get in there to update my GEDCOM.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I posted the Willie Nelson song on FB.

message 13: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments oh...cool, Alice. I'm going to check it out right now.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Who done it? Brendan?

message 15: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments Who done what? The murderer is apprehended in the third novel.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Sherry wrote: "Who done what? The murderer is apprehended in the third novel."

The third novel! You mean her sisters murderer? I just skipped over the back and read the last 4 or 5 chapters as my curiosity got too great. Going to create a few NE questions now!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope you like my latest neverending quiz question. For some reason it reminds me of the book Green Darkness. Ever read it?

message 18: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments Is that by Anya Seton? No, I haven't read it. I enjoy the quiz questions.

message 19: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments As wrote: "Sherry wrote: "Who done what? The murderer is apprehended in the third novel."

The third novel! You mean her sisters murderer? I just skipped over the back and read the last 4 or 5 chapters a..."

Yes, it is a trilogy. Our heroine is haunted by the murder of her sister through all three books and is revealed in the third. Really a surprise!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Sherry wrote: "Is that by Anya Seton? No, I haven't read it. I enjoy the quiz questions."

Glad you like them as I LOVE them! I have been so obsessed with the quiz that at one point I couldn't stop and so had to delete my account! It sure helps my Aliceheimers! When I really think I am losing it I do a few questions and remember mostly!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Sherry wrote: "As wrote: "Sherry wrote: "Who done what? The murderer is apprehended in the third novel."

The third novel! You mean her sisters murderer? I just skipped over the back and read the last 4 or 5 c..."

I will never guess then. I am starting back on the second one tonight. I need to order the third one from the library. I hope they have it.

message 22: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments The murderer is a real surprise. I won't give it away. I really did not enjoy the third book as much as the first one. I love the archeology bits that are woven into the first book.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Sherry wrote: "The murderer is a real surprise. I won't give it away. I really did not enjoy the third book as much as the first one. I love the archeology bits that are woven into the first book."

I sure enjoyed the first book. Somehow I didn't care much for the way the second book started out but I may like it better as I go along. I think it was reading about that horrible wind. It was too spooky. I hate winds like that.

message 24: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments Sounds like she was able to really touch your imagination. The mark of a good writer.

message 25: by Cassie (new)

I liked all three a lot but I did enjoy the first the most.

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 12, 2010 03:58PM) (new)

Sherry wrote: "Sounds like she was able to really touch your imagination. The mark of a good writer."

Yes, she did! She creeped me out! sometimes that is fun but I feel like the tribe in The English Patient who declared war against a wind! I lived in the tornado alley too long. I always thinks of Ireland as soft mists and lots of rain. That dirt filled wind was too spooky for me!

Please create some neverending quiz questions about the books. Its a little tricky at first but the NE quiz moderators will help you. I had a super nice guy helping me named George. Click on the link to add the book.

message 27: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments I have not read The English Patient. A quiz question...hmmm.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Sherry wrote: "I have not read The English Patient. A quiz question...hmmm."

The movie is far better than the book IMO. The book goes into some details you may not want to read if you are like me. His burns are rather gruesome in the movie but just don't look!

Hope you can create for me as I love quiz questions.

message 29: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments The movie came out quite a long time ago, I think. I have not seen it.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Sherry wrote: "The movie came out quite a long time ago, I think. I have not seen it."

We went to see it about 15 years ago. I liked it so much I boght a copy and then my husband got me a better copy. I like the music so bought the soundtrack too. When I read the book I was a little disappointed. (too modern)

Sinus headache is making me crabby today. Also a diabetic pill I never tried before....VERY bad.

We need to Welcome Thom as I think he just joined us. He is interested in these books. He is number 2 on the Quiz!

message 31: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments Welcome, Thom! What med do you take for your diabetes, Alice? I take Metformin and 3 types of insulin. I think Metformin is generic for Glucophage.

message 32: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments I knew a man who was always trying homeopathic remedies for his diabetes. He gave me the impression he was trying to outsmart his doctor. He was an idio and was uncontrolled. After a while he quit testing his sugar because he knew he was fine because he "felt good." I feel fine for a long time when my sugar goes up. It has to get over 350 for me to start feeling badly. I have taken three or four classes for diabetics, and have been on insulin for about ten years. I was first diagnosed about 25 years ago. As long as I stay on Weight Watchers I stay well-controlled. My endocrinologist told me that I need the Metformin to help my insulin do its job. If you ever have question, I might be able to help. When we had diabetic students in my schools, I seemed to become the "go-to" person for advice for the Health Para.

I had a friend who couldn't tolerate Metformin. She threw up a lot and lost a lot of weight.

message 33: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 14, 2010 08:13AM) (new)

Sherry wrote: "I knew a man who was always trying homeopathic remedies for his diabetes. He gave me the impression he was trying to outsmart his doctor. He was an idio and was uncontrolled. After a while he qu..."

Thanks Sherry! It will be very good to have someone to ask questions of. After supper I took my blood sugar and it was a PERFECT 100 which is rare. I had alot of lettuce, some meat and 2 glasses of red wine. I know that red wine helps some but not all. I also took some Chromium picolinate which Dr. K told me to use and I often forget since I take so many supplements.

message 34: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments The Weight Watcher program is based on the American Diabetes Association diet guidelines. One does not have to buy WW food to follow the program. One of my doctors had me meet weekly with his nurse for Diabetes education. It would be nice if something like that were available for you. My son and his wife had bought a brand new house in West Texas; my son was allergic to the carpeting. He was miserable whenever he was in the house, but fine whenever he was away from it. I know our American lifestyle is full of toxicity. I'm glad your supplements help you to live better. I was taking a red wine supplement for several months, but don't anymore.

message 35: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments Personally I hate the WW meetings. I think they are very patronising, so I joined the online program and follow it that way. Yes, it was Reservatrol that I used. I couldn't tell any difference with or without it.

My son was in the Air Force at the time. He tried over the counter allergy meds and they helped. One of my cousins has severe allergy issues. After he was born, his dad built a new room onto the house with no windows, just for him. I guess things were tough for Matt for a long time. He is an adult now and married, but doing well.

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 15, 2010 07:09AM) (new)

Sherry wrote: "Personally I hate the WW meetings. I think they are very patronising, so I joined the online program and follow it that way. Yes, it was Reservatrol that I used. I couldn't tell any difference w..."
~~~~~~~~~

I have never been to a WW meeting. My Dad used to love them. He would starve himself for days so he could be number one on weight loss. He had the ability to fast which I do not.

message 37: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments I haven't heard either of those stories. I have a friend who was sure that she was being "poisoned" by the air quality in her building (she is a teacher), but her principal wouldn't look into it. Finally she went over his head, and the environmental check discovered toxic mold in the air system. She developed asthma from the problem. Her principal really reamed her for going over his head...

message 38: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments I have no similar health issues. I am a heart patient and a diabetic, and that is enough for anyone. I can't tolerate heat, though. Thus my choice to stay in this mild, moist climate.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Sherry wrote: "I have no similar health issues. I am a heart patient and a diabetic, and that is enough for anyone. I can't tolerate heat, though. Thus my choice to stay in this mild, moist climate."

I also cannot tolerate heat. As it gets colder I feel better. Winter is my best time usually.

message 40: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments Mine too!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I did not realize the dates were so.......exact:
priest holes from The Old Priory......

The measures put in force shortly after Elizabeth's accession became much harsher after the Rising of the North (1569), and numerous other plots by Catholics against Elizabeth (1571-1586), and in particular the utmost severity of the law was enforced against seminary priests. An Act was passed prohibiting a member of the Roman Catholic Church from celebrating the rites of his faith on pain of forfeiture for the first offence, a year's imprisonment for the second, and imprisonment for life for the third. All those who refused to take the Oath of Supremacy were called "Recusants" and were guilty of high treason. A law was also enacted which provided that if any "Papist" should be found converting an Anglican or Protestant to Roman Catholicism, both would suffer death, for high treason. In December, 1591, a priest was hanged before the door of a house in Gray's Inn Fields for having said Mass there the month previously. Laws against seminary priests and Recusants were enforced with great severity after the Gunpowder Plot episode during James I's reign.

[edit] Location and use
It was common for the castles and country houses of England to have some precaution in the event of a surprise, such as a secret means of concealment or escape that could be used at a moment's notice. However, in the time of legal persecution the number of secret chambers and hiding-places increased in the houses of the old Catholic families. These often took the form of apartments or chapels in secluded parts of the houses, or in the roof space, where Mass could be celebrated with the utmost privacy and safety, and nearby there was usually an artfully contrived hiding-place, not only for the officiating priest to slip into in case of emergency, but also to provide a place where the vestments, sacred vessels, and altar furniture could be stored at a moment's notice.

message 42: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments I knew bits of this information, but thank you for providing it. A priest's hole figures in one of NL's books, but I don't remember which one. A vindictive little girl left the priest to starve to death in the hiding place, and there was something about blue beads. Does that ring a bell?

message 43: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments Oops, I'm thinking of NL, not Erin Hart. Sorry.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Sherry wrote: "Oops, I'm thinking of NL, not Erin Hart. Sorry."

Sorry for posting this here but Thom asked me something about them and he is a member here but not on Norah Lofts so I posted this here for him. I will delete it later.

message 45: by Cassie (new)

You don't have to delete it Alice. I changed the title of this thread to "off topic". :)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Cassie wrote: "You don't have to delete it Alice. I changed the title of this thread to "off topic". :)"

OK! thanks Cassie! I am in such a habit of deleting now. Werner posted on NRL that it was Elizabeth that sealed up the priest and left him to starve. I thought it was Elizabeth but you know my memory. Without getting the book out and actually reading it again I didn't want to say the name. He may have a discussion for Gad's Hall on Supernatural group and wants to discuss Esther later. Amazon.com has new copies of Esther or did two years ago when I got one for myself and one for Ann. Its a very small book and a quick read. I think right now the only way to get a copy is to buy a new one.

message 47: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 26 comments I have Esther, but had trouble getting 'into' reading it. I bought a used copy from Amazon. I haven't seen any new editions of NL books anywhere.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Sherry wrote: "I have Esther, but had trouble getting 'into' reading it. I bought a used copy from Amazon. I haven't seen any new editions of NL books anywhere."

I bought two BRAND NEW Norah Lofts on Amazon.com a couple of years ago. The first one was a new copy of Esther which I did not own and the second one was The Town House ($27.00) for our group discussion. I could have got second hand but most of my NL are second hand so I was glad to indulge myself in some new books. I also had trouble getting into Esther but I did read the whole thing. I think Werner wants to read Esther in January. I like to reread The Road to Bethlehem in December for Christmas. I got my copy of it rebound from England, so beautiful!
Victor is offering me lunch OUT so I have to RUN! as my son says.....laters,
Alice