TV We've Just Watched discussion

Dramas > Boardwalk Empire

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monika (new)

Monika (marriedmurder) | 45 comments Another HBO show...honestly, HBO on Sunday nights is great!

from wikipedia: Boardwalk Empire is an American television series from premium cable network HBO, set in Atlantic City, New Jersey, during the Prohibition era. Starring Steve Buscemi, the show is adapted from Nelson Johnson's book, Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City by Emmy Award

it has seriously hooked me in. very very good show! if you don't have HBO, i highly suggest renting the season once this first season is over!

message 2: by Monika (new)

Monika (marriedmurder) | 45 comments you've got new jersey gangsters, NY and Chicago gangsters....and even the very beginnings of Al Capone

and who doesn't love the fashion of that era!

message 3: by Holli (new)

Holli I absolutely LOVE this show!! I'm drawn to that time period anyways and this show is amazing....

message 4: by Monika (new)

Monika (marriedmurder) | 45 comments it's funny bc I've had HBO for SOOO many years, but never really watched any of the series they had....now I'm hooked on a bunch of them!

and I can't wait to see how the rest of this season unfolds!

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 375 comments HBO always does such a good job at this! Such a great period piece!

message 6: by Holli (new)

Holli I heard that in Season 2 they're moving into the Flapper era... can't wait!!

message 7: by Monika (new)

Monika (marriedmurder) | 45 comments are they really? i can't wait to see how this all unfolds....and next season! since they confirmed it after just 1 episode =0)

did you watch last night? i think that last scene went on a little too unnecessarily long...we get it..he's twisted....

message 8: by Holli (new)

Holli Yes! So weird.....

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine This series has really grown on me. The sets and the costumes are amazing as is the acting.

Isn't what era there in kind of the beginning of the flapper era, the 20s?

and yes, that scene at the end of last night's episode went on a little long.

message 10: by Holli (new)

Holli Yes, they are in the beginning of the 20's right now but I guess next season they get full on into the Flapper time. I was reading an article about the costuming of this show and that's what they said in it.

message 11: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 69 comments I'm watching this in the UK at the moment. I've just finished episode 6. I love this series! It's well worth all the money they've spent on it -between $18 and £50 million for the pilot alone!

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael | 422 comments I'm trying to think of a new series to add to my Blockbuster queue and I've narrowed it down to Boardwalk Empire, Treme, Spartacus: Blood and Sand and Mad Men. Any thoughts/suggestions?

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men are excellent. You have a hard choice if you have to choose only one.

message 14: by ReneeB (new)

ReneeB Have all of you followed this season? I'm liking it, but there seems to be so much going on. I'm finding myself re-watching it to catch items I may have missed.

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine ReneeB wrote: "Have all of you followed this season? I'm liking it, but there seems to be so much going on. I'm finding myself re-watching it to catch items I may have missed."

I have been and its awesome. You are right though, the story is very complicated from the beginning. What a good idea re-watching it! The one I am really having a hard time figuring out is Jimmy. He seems to be conflicted as to where his allegiance should be.

message 16: by ReneeB (new)

ReneeB Christine, I agree about Jimmy. I think he's so torn about Nucky.

I was so confused with him in NYC when he killed those guys. What was that all about?

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine Not sure either except maybe he wants to start some kind of turf war.

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 375 comments Anyone watch the season finale? It was great! A whole new structuring of the organization for next season. Do you think that Nucky and his brother will ever be able to work together again? I thought that it was an interesting season this year.

message 19: by Christine (new)

Christine I watched the season finale and thought it was great too. It took me a while to warm up to Boardwalk Empire but I love it now. I can hardly wait to see what the writers come up with for next season. There are sure to be a lot of changes with everything that happened in that last episode.

message 20: by Holli (new)

Holli “Nucky” Thompson’s life of crime will resume Sunday, Sept. 16 at 9/8c, when Boardwalk Empire uncorks Season 3 — sans Michael Pitt’s Jimmy Darmody, remember.

message 21: by Holli (new)

Holli renewed for another season

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie Boyer (katieelaineboyer) | 3 comments Anyone been keeping up with the show?

I created my own Boardwalk Empire group and would love to have you all join in on the conversation.

Any suggestions are welcome too. Thanks!