The Trench discussion

Political Discourse

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Servius  Heiner  | 360 comments Mod
Your question is actually a tactical one, Rusty. The short answer is no. There really is no point in trying to communicate with another person that is committed (or simply invested) to their "point of view".

Instead you need to pick the people you ask better. Observation will determine if they have blind obedience to their "Cause". I'm not saying don't talk to the "other side" Just go into it knowing the only thing you are going to get from the exchange is their regurgitated talking points.

Both sides are guilty of it of course. And that is the problem when you get right down to it. The spinsters and producers of our ongoing political theater have successfully hyped up the frenzy of the last decade or so to the point where even every day john doe's and jane doe's act instinctively and defensively against anything that remotely sounds like a point the other side would make.

message 2: by Vicki Jean (new)

Vicki Jean | 108 comments Mod
go to the source for information and make up your own mind Rusty.

My husband is convinced that all the work I do is stupid, the only way out of boundage for the US will be through a bloody revolution. It makes no difference what ANY of say.

I'm not ready to give up yet though

Servius  Heiner  | 360 comments Mod
I am actually of the mind that a "Revolution" is perceptibly the wrong option. Consider the geo-political atmosphere of the international community at the moment. The level of civil unrest and breakdown of an already ineffective government would expose the US to a heavy risk. The temptation to strike amid the chaos would be too great for some foreign powers to pass up. Given the availability and destructive power of even conventional weapons of today the consequences would be catastrophic, and I am not committed to the idea that we would be able to recover.

As a nation our sense of security is primarily an illusion. Once all illusion is wiped away we would have to rely on other nations to protect us during our little political revolution. North Korea has no chance of launching a devastating attack on us today, if however our government functionality breaks down that doesn't remain true. And they are not the only ones with the capability and short sighted arguably insane rulers that would not consider the greater consequences of a collapsed USA.

message 4: by Vicki Jean (last edited Oct 07, 2010 04:32PM) (new)

Vicki Jean | 108 comments Mod
my husband is of a thought that N Korea is not too far away either.....