CanLit Challenge discussion

Archive > Canada Reads 2011

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
This thread is open to talk about Canada Reads itself, books for the list, eventually the selected titles and the 2011 broadcast.

It's starting up again for the 2011 broadcast with a request for suggestions for a list panelists will choose their books from. http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadareads/2...

As for myself, I'm afraid I've been disappointed with the direction of Canada Reads since the departure of Bill Richardson (not sure if that's coincidence or not), and didn't participate last year at all.

message 2: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
We now have a list of the top 40. http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadareads/ Which have you read? Which are your favourites? Which haven't you read but most want to read? (Use the add book link so this thread will show up on the books' pages.)

message 3: by Pooker (last edited Oct 29, 2010 05:35PM) (new)

Pooker | 13 comments I've read thirteen of them:
A Complicated Kindness
Clara Callan: A Novel
Come, Thou Tortoise
February
Late Nights on Air
Life of Pi
Lullabies for Little Criminals
Oryx and Crake
Shelf Monkey
Someone Knows My Name(The Book of Negroes in Canada!)
The Last Crossing
The Way the Crow Flies
Three Day Road

I really enjoyed every one of them and I don't know if I have a favourite amongst them. If I had to pick any of them for the five to be debated, I'd pick Shelf Monkey and Come, Thou Tortoise because they are both in their own way unique and quite surprising.

I own ten more of the forty. I won't list them all, but of them, I'm looking forward to reading Moody Food, Sweetness in the Belly, and The Day the Falls Stood Still

I'm also quite interested in picking up Alison Pick's book Far to Go. I've read a previous book of hers, The Sweet Edge and really enjoyed it. I'm also quite intrigued by Bottle Rocket Hearts, The Bone Cage, and The Last Days of the Lacuna Cabal(The Girls Who Saw Everything in Canada), none of which I'd heard of until now. So even though I've been critical of self-promotion on this year's Canada Reads, I have to admit it has worked at piquing my interest.

message 4: by Mrsgaskell (new)

Mrsgaskell | 12 comments Ibis3 wrote: "We now have a list of the top 40. http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadareads/ Which have you read? Which are your favourites? Which haven't you read but most want to read? (Use the add book link so this t..."

I've read fourteen of them:

A Complicated Kindness
Clara Callan: A Novel
Come, Thou Tortoise
Crow Lake
Late Nights on Air
Life of Pi
Oryx and Crake
The Book Of Negroes
The Last Crossing: A Novel
The Way the Crow Flies
Three Day Road
Unless
The Birth House

My favourites are Clara Callan, Life of Pi, The Last Crossing, and Three Day Road. Least favourite (and I really didn't like it!) is Oryx and Crake.

Funny thing is I'm in England on holidays at the moment and I've got two of the books on the list with me: The Stone Carversto read, and a copy of The Last Crossing: A Novel which I will be leaving here as a Christmas gift for a bookcrossing friend who is a great fan of CanLit.

Of the remaining books on the list the one I'd most like to read is Through Black Spruce

message 5: by John (new)

John I have read nine of them:

A Complicated Kindness
Clara Callan
Crow Lake
Late Nights on Air
Life of Pi
The Book Of Negroes
Three Day Road
Through Black Spruce

My favorites were Crow Lake, Lullabies For Little Criminals, Late Nights On Air and Through Black Spruce. I hated Life of Pi!!!

message 6: by C. (new)

C. | 7 comments I was confused thinking of The Birthing House by
Christopher Ransom instead of The Birth House by Amy McKay! The first one I read, the second one I didn't.

message 7: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
I've read 4:

Late Nights on Air
Life of Pi
The Book of Negroes
Through Black Spruce

A bunch more are already on Mt. TBR. I liked all of them, but thought Not Wanted On The Voyage was a better novel than The Book of Negroes and deserved to be the Canada Reads winner back in 2008.

message 8: by C. (new)

C. | 7 comments I've read Crow Lake by Mary Lawson and The Other Side of the Bridge. Both enjoyable! I absolutely loved The Book of Negroes so I'll have to check out Not Wanted on the Voyage recommended by Ibis3. About Oryx and Crake I'm embarrassed to say I have a signed copy but stopped reading it. I like Atwood's simpler style better.

message 9: by Ibis3 (last edited Oct 31, 2010 02:25PM) (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
Not Wanted on the Voyage is CanLit Challenge book #27, so hopefully by the time you read it, I'll have the appropriate discussion thread up.

I made a mistake though. The winner the year that NWotV was up for consideration was the year that King Leary won. I did really like King Leary, but thought NWotV really was in a class of its own.

The one that I felt should have won against The Book of Negroes was The Fat Woman Next Door Is Pregnant.

message 10: by Mrsgaskell (last edited Nov 02, 2010 02:49PM) (new)

Mrsgaskell | 12 comments Ibis3 wrote: "We now have a list of the top 40. http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadareads/ Which have you read? Which are your favourites? Which haven't you read but most want to read? (Use the add book link so this t..."

Well I'm now up to 15 read having just completed The Stone Carvers

I'm afraid I found it boring although it appears to have had mostly positive reviews from other readers. To each her own :)

message 11: by Pooker (new)

Pooker | 13 comments Turns out I've read 14 of the top 40. I'd forgotten I'd read Inside. That was a book I really enjoyed too.

The top ten have now been announced. http://www.cbc.ca/books/canadareads/.

I've read only three of them, own two more; so five to buy!

I have to say that despite my initial cranky reaction at the process, I've quite enjoyed the "entertainment" factor so far. I'm hoping that the five panelists will each pick a book from the seven I haven't read yet.

message 12: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
I'm still cranky.

message 13: by A.J. (new)

A.J. I'm happy to see Angie Abdou and Zoe Whittall on the list, but not optimistic they'll make the final cut.

I expect this year's Canada Reads to be a snoozefest.

message 14: by Pooker (new)

Pooker | 13 comments I hope you're wrong A.J. I was delighted to see Angie Abdou and Zoe Whittall on the list (and disappointed that some of the other new-to-me authors didn't make the cut). I'm counting on the celebs to throw out (or redefine) the word "essential" and pick the new stuff.

message 15: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
The list of books and defenders is out.

Sara Quin defends The Complete Essex County by Jeff Lemire

Lorne Cardinal defends Unless by Carol Shields

Georges Laraque defends The Bone Cage by Angie Abdou

Debbie Travis defends The Birth House by Ami McKay

Ali Velshi defends The Best Laid Plans by Terry Fallis

message 16: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
Any thoughts on today's discussion and elimination?

message 17: by Pooker (new)

Pooker | 13 comments Oh Ibis, I'm cranky again. I am really disappointed that Essex County was booted off. I didn't watch/listen to the discussion, but I was hoping it would make it to the final two and thought it deserved to.

message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Sands (patriciasands) | 16 comments Ibis3 wrote: "Any thoughts on today's discussion and elimination?"
Sometimes the discussion leaves a bit to be desired ... do you agree or am I being picky? Bottom line - obviously they are all good books. I'm biased towards Unless.

message 19: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
Honestly, I'm not the best person to ask. I used to be a big fan of CR, but I was disappointed with it the year that King Leary won over Not Wanted On The Voyage. I liked both books, but if you're looking for a book that every Canadian ought to read, it should be a masterpiece. Then the following year The Book Of Negroes won, despite the fact that the panel spent much of the week talking about its faults. It won due to "strategic voting". The panellists decided that the aim was not to select the most appropriate book, but that the aim was for their book to win. Gone are the days when a panellist would vote for a book they didn't start out defending (as Justin Trudeau did when he voted for Next Episode). I've skipped it since then.

message 20: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
Oh, and this year, I haven't actually read any of the contenders, so I don't even have my personal opinion to go on. Unless will likely end up as a CanLit Challenge book (with its 2002 publication date, it's running into borderline territory though).

message 21: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Sands (patriciasands) | 16 comments Hi again - I just took a look at the books you read last year and I think you would like Unless. I think Shields' writing is superb.

message 22: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
Well, what do you all think of the winning book? Good choice or yet another CR failure?

message 23: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Sands (patriciasands) | 16 comments Well here's the thing about Terry Fallis who also lives here in Toronto. He is a great role model for indie authors. He self-published through iUniverse (one of the reasons I chose them is that he gave them a good reference) and has gone one to win some top literary awards. Traditional publishers would not give him the chance but of course snapped him up once he won The Stephen Leacock Medal for Humour - one of Canada's top literary prizes. The Best Laid Plans is a good read although I still would have like Unless to win. So congratulations to him. Take heart self-published authors! The Bridge Club by Patricia Sands