The Love Cult discussion

I Love Sports!

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Jul 12, 2008 07:31PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" Well, no, not me personally, but a lot of you do.
So here's your thread to chat about baseball teams, Olympics, and other sports-related loves.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Whoo! Sports Talk...where's David?

MLB: Brewers and White Sox (Hate the Cubs)
NFL: Bears (hate the Packers)
NBA: Bulls and Bucks
College (Hate Notre Dame and Duke)

I hate when people imply that reading books and following sports are mutually exclusive. You can do both. Heck, you can even read books about sports.

Jackie "the Librarian" I hate when people imply that reading books and following sports are mutually exclusive. You can do both. Heck, you can even read books about sports.

Sure! Knock yourself out, RA!

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 61 comments I'm not so much a sports fan. Just a baseball fan. But I'm kinda obsessive about it. I can quote stats. I can tell you the Twins are currently a game and a half back of the W%$#@ Sox in the AL central, and that this is the first time ever the Tampa Bay Rays have been leading their division at the all-star break. I can calculate WHIP. I'm a dork.

Baseball may be the only sport that one can be really geeky about. :)

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony
Baseball may be the only sport that one can be really geeky about. :)

I'm going to have to think about that. I think I know what you mean.

Goooooo White Sox, Lisa!!!

:)

message 6: by Al (new)

Al (allysonsmith) Lisa:

Actually, the Red Sox won today and the Rays lost, so Tampa Bay will not head into the All-Star Break in first place! I'm a Red Sox fan in case you couldn't tell :)

But like Charly, I have had plenty of heartbreak following the Red Sox - my first major dilemna about boys and sports happenned in the early/mid 70s - how could Bucky Dent be so cute but play for the dreaded Yankees!!!! This was a very early and important life lesson :)

Baseball is definitely the sport you can really geek out with - I am playing fantasy baseball for the first time this year and I am all about stats.

And of course there are tons of great books about sports, especially baseball.

message 7: by Al (new)

Al (allysonsmith) Lisa and RA:

I have been pulling for the White Sox a lot this year as I have had numerous CWS starting pitchers on my fantasy team at various points.

message 8: by Al (new)

Al (allysonsmith) Lisa:

Somehow I got confused by an earlier post from RA and believed you were a White Sox fan - I now see the error of my ways and understand you are with the Twins.

I picked up Scott Baker recently for my fantasy team - he has proved to be the man!

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Yes...watching the Red Sox kick the Twins' ass last week was a relief...the White Sox needed the help, thanks. You bought the WS some breathing room.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 61 comments Yeah, but then the Twinks almost swept the Tiggers. Took three of four. So don't relax yet!

For anyone who needs a super-secret fantasy team pickup, Twins pitchers Nick Blackburn and Kevin Slowey are both young, phenomenal, and unknown. (And yes, Scooty B is the man, even if he looks like a 12-year-old boy...) And Alexi Casilla has been utterly stellar at 2B since his call-up. I don't foresee him ever going back to AAA.

Justin Morneau, winning the All-Star Home Run Derby... :love:

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Everybody's sweeping the Tigers this year!

My kids watched the Home Run Derby...it was kind of fun, much to my surprise.

The local news WILL NOT STOP TALKING ABOUT BRETT FARVE'S NONRETIREMENT. That loser needs to leave.

message 12: by Al (new)

Al (allysonsmith) it's hard not to be impressed with josh hamilton in the first round of the home run derby last night. plus his story is a real "feel-good" - baseball desperately needs that these days!

And I thought morneau was so gracious in actually winning :)

I agree with RA - enough about Brett Favre already - if the buzz is like this in July, I am so scared of what we will have to endure over the next several months!!!!!

Lisa: i have been watching Slowey and Blackburn - my league is head-to-head so it is harder for me to take chances on younger players - some weeks i can and other times i need dependable, solid starts.

Charly: you are right that i am too young to remember lonborg. but like any good sox fan, i know my history.

it sure looks like the American League will win again tonight.

And is it just me or does it feel like the Olympics are sort of sneaking up under the radar this year?

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Yeah, I agree with Al...the American League looks unstoppable.

My kids like the Olympics....do they start soon?

message 14: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Thanks, Donna. That reminds me, you live in central NY...you ever been to Cooperstown? I'm thinking of taking my kids there this summer. Anyone else ever been to any of the Hall of Fames?

message 15: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell My family forced me to go to the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass when I was a kid. I wasn't completely bored I guess. They had a little gallery where you can shoot basketballs into various hoops. Also, they had a pair of size 22 sneakers worn by somebody whose name I can't recall.

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Dave, I shot at those hoops in Springfield, too, about fifteen years ago...I've heard the BB HOF has gone through a complete renovation, though...woudln't mind checking it out again someday, but it's too close to my wife's family, so I'd probably have to visit them, too...

message 17: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I can't believe I'm posting twice in the sports thread, but oh well. We went sometime in the mid 80's. I wanted to go see Plymouth Rock, but I got outvoted. I think this tells you all you need to know about my family growing up.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

i am a basketball and Football fan, if anyone wants to know i prefer the Spurs and celtics in the NBA and Eagles and Colts in NFL. I am not tooo much of a baseball fan, but i like the boston red sox

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

The Eagles didnt do so well last season, but i am hoping that they do something this season. i heard that there alot of new fast rookies on the team and a new edition player from the patriots. so i am really excited this season for the eagles.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 61 comments I must go to Cooperstown someday. But not until Bert Blyleven's in.

message 21: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture Can't wait til my son is old enough to go to Cooperstown! I had long-standing plans to go when my man Cal was inducted, but had a baby instead :) It's was a fair trade-off....

My teams:
MLB: Orioles **hangs head in shame**
NFL: don't really watch, but Steelers just bc it makes husband happy
NHL: Penguins
MLS: DC United
NBA: Don't watch.

I love the Olympics and am looking forward to them starting injust three weeks!

Since this is Goodreads....
What is the best sports-related book you've read?

message 22: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jul 17, 2008 07:45AM) (new)

RandomAnthony Nikki, you might be the only person I know who has a favorite MLS team.

I can see how the Orioles drive you nuts. They'll be great for two weeks then lose ten games in a row. They play in a tough division, too, to be fair.

message 23: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture Oh Randomanthony, few people know the pain of being an Orioles fan. Except maybe Pittsburgh Pirates fan (husband is from Pittsburgh). Worst owners in baseball....maybe in all of American Sports!

I know there are some other MLS fans out there....

*crickets chirping*

*tumbleweed rolls by*

message 24: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture Charly
Your Revolution players recently took down an unruly naked passenger on a flight to their game in Houston. It's an awesome story...and it reminds us that some professional athletes still have to fly coach!

message 25: by Al (new)

Al (allysonsmith) Yes, that story about the Revolution's flight to the West Coast was wild! I actually think the front office of the team was the most involved in subduing the unruly passenger, but it does at least get American soccer in the news :)

Don't know if you watched The Espys, I only saw a little of the show, but Justin timberlake did make a good joke congratulating david beckham for making soccer slightly more popular.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

what is going on here? First farve is retiring and now i hear he is gonna play for the jets? well you heard it correct that is the latest from a press conference with the packers coach saying that the packers are trading farve to the jets. i thought he was going to tampa bay?

message 27: by Al (new)

Al (allysonsmith) agreed Charly - these last few weeks have been rough!

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 61 comments I find all parts of baseball season exciting, and all parts of all those other sports, whatever they are, pretty boring.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey did anyone see how well Penn state football is doing? i mean the scores are unbelieveable its like me playing madden 09 with a Rookie difficulty rating

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

lol i wanna see a team hit a score of like 95 to nothing now that would be awesome