taiwan book exchange. discussion

How do you get your books in Taiwan?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments I'm a book lover but I find it difficult to find books here. Usually I ended up carrying about tons of books back from the States. How do you get your books?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

???!!! wrote: "I'm a book lover but I find it difficult to find books here. Usually I ended up carrying about tons of books back from the States. How do you get your books?"

I use Kindle for Mac a lot. No shipping fees, and I just read it on my computer. You can also find almost anything on www.books.com.tw , and if they don't have it they order it for no extra charge. Also, you can order books from the UK Book Depository and get them shipped to Taiwan for free. When in doubt, Bongos and Grandma Nittis has a lot of great used books.

message 3: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments OMG! You are so resourceful. Thanks for all the infos.

Originally I thought this is a place where we can swap books. But after being here for a while I guess not many members check this place regularly. There's a website called paperbackswap.com where book lovers can swap books for free. But I don't think they extend their service all the way here. The shipping fee would be enormous. Too bad we can't do them here. But I'll definitly will check the sites you gave me. Thanks.

message 4: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments On the other hand, how to you get rid of your books? Do you just throw them away or you donate them to somewhere?

message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber | 8 comments I've never throw away my books or donate them. I just put them on the book shelf. :)

message 6: by rudderjhane (new)

rudderjhane | 6 comments I wish this group will take sometime to meet so we could get to know each other as well as make the books exchange possible. Most of my choices here are very expensive and limited. Hmm... books exchange is such a cool idea.

message 7: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments I'm kinda disappointed that not many people are discussing in these sites. I thought there would be many book lovers here in Taiwan, let alone book exchanges. :(

Maybe we can make a list of books we don't read anymore and start from there? Or, any ideas?

message 8: by rudderjhane (new)

rudderjhane | 6 comments @???!!!you can check from my owned books if you like, sure i'd be much willing for an exchange:)

message 9: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments I'm a big mystery and thriller book fan. What about you? My favorite authors are Val McDermit, Minette Walters, Arnaldur Indritasson, Hanning Mankell and on and on.....

message 10: by rudderjhane (new)

rudderjhane | 6 comments I go for inspirational books lol!...hmmm I wonder if you're interested with planewalkers?

message 11: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments Wow! you are a serious reader. Yeah, sometimes I go for inspirational books too but only on rare occasions. I'll go check out planewalkers.

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber | 8 comments rudderjhane wrote: "I wish this group will take sometime to meet so we could get to know each other as well as make the books exchange possible. Most of my choices here are very expensive and limited. Hmm... books exc..."

good idea!

message 13: by rudderjhane (new)

rudderjhane | 6 comments Thanks Amber, wish this sounds interesting to the rest of the members too, so we can come up with the details of the team first meeting ya!:)

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann | 1 comments Hi, everyone!
I am a new member here.
I wish we could meet together, too.
But I'm not sure if everyone lives in the same city or state or country.

message 15: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Tsai (charlenetsai) You can get books from Amazon and ship them back to Taipei...
OR
There's a nice book store called Caves Book, you can look it up on the web.
OR
Buy a kindle from Amazon and you can basically find all the books you want to read in the world!!! Its awesome. You can buy it from Amazon! Its from Amazon.
Just ship it to Taipei, it won't cost much... about 300-500 nt.? And Kindle's books are cheaper than the ones you buy in bookstores :)

message 16: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments James wrote: "I have both a Kindle and a Nook (from Barnes and Noble.) It's easier to buy from Amazon because they don't seem to check international copyright questions. B&N refuses to sell to anyone with a non-..."
you are my new best friend!Exactly like me! What kind of books are you into?

message 17: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Tsai (charlenetsai) :)

message 18: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments Amazing! You are all over the place. I'm afraid I'm not as well read as you are and am more into fiction. I do read some non-fictions but only pertaining certain subjects.

Looking at your collection I'm sure you must have moved more books back to Taiwan than I did. Happy to know I'm not the only bookworm who does that.

message 19: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments OMG! you must've spent a fortune buying so much books! How many books do you read a week?

message 20: by 肱慶 (new)

肱慶 林 | 3 comments Hi! I'm the new member.

I usually get my books on e-books. I found the website extremely convenient. I can mostly find whatever I want to read.

message 21: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments I know, I know, with the booming of Kindles and Ipods e-book is the 'IN' thing to read. Call me conservative but I still like the feeling of holding a book when I read.

message 22: by 肱慶 (new)

肱慶 林 | 3 comments Yeah, I totally agree with that. I also buy physical books, and the feeling is just different from anything else. There's somehow the sense of accomplishment welling up when you look at all the books you've read standing on the bookshelf instead of in the "Document" files. That's why I keep buying books and enduring the exhaustingly long period of time waiting it being shipped. It's simply great, without doubt.

message 23: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments Tell me about it. I just finished reading C.J. Sansom's "Heartstone" and it's real accomplishment. By the way, what kind of genre are you in for?

message 24: by 肱慶 (new)

肱慶 林 | 3 comments I'm usually quite intrigued by fantasy ones and YA novels. I'm also trying something else, like "A Visit from the Goon Squad." Nevertheless, I'm still generally in for fantasy books like "Eragon." I'll start reading the "Kingkiller Chronicle" written by Patrick Rothfuss and I'm sure I'll enjoy reading this one really much.

message 25: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 3 comments I've been going to Page One book store for English books when I first came to Taiwan, but later discovered that http://www.bookdepository.com with free worldwide shipping and they there is no minimal purchase. I've been ordering my books from there ever since.

message 26: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments Interesting. I'll look into it. What kind of genre do you like to read ?

message 27: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 3 comments Kimberly wrote: "I've been going to Page One book store for English books when I first came to Taiwan, but later discovered that http://www.bookdepository.com with free worldwide shipping and they there is no minim..."

I read mostly fiction, travel narratives, mystery, classics, historical fiction, and romance.

message 28: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments Wow, that covers almost everything. Any favorite authors?

message 29: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 3 comments Favorite authors: Johanna Lindsey, Judith McNaught, Marlena De Blasi, Agatha Christie, Carlos Ruiz Zafon...But I've been really into the classics lately. Just finished The Count of Monte Cristo (unabridged 1152 pages) and now reading Murder on the Orient Express. Loving every page of it. What are you reading now?

message 30: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments My favorite genres are mystery and thrillers but lately I'm exploring. For example, recently I've Defending Jacob, Room, and The Help, which were all excellent. My favorite thriller authors are Val McDermid, Jo Nesbo, Arnuld Rosland...for some reason mostly Scandinavian Or British authors.

How many books do you usually buy in a year?

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

So this is where the Taiwan people are.

I do a mix of all the above mentioned methods (Kindle, book depository, books.com.tw, Page One, swap). Being in Hualien, it's a bit trickier than Taipei but it's manageable.

message 32: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments Wow! I admire your effort. What have you been reading so far?

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Ten years in Taiwan and not a single day not reading something.

message 34: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Carruthers (stuartcarruthers) | 2 comments I'm using book depository almost exclusively these days as it's a hell of a lot easier than going to Page One

message 35: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments What is it?

message 36: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Carruthers (stuartcarruthers) | 2 comments www.bookdepository.com. like amazon but with free delivery

message 37: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Miao (xiaopandatw) | 2 comments Hi~ I'm new to this thread, but I wanted to add that Whose Books is also a great place to go for secondhand books. I usually take all my used books and trade them there. I read fantasy which can be hard to find, but every once in a while I get lucky and find something good.
Here's the link for Whose Books ---> Whose Books
And I think starting a book club that meets would be fun! I only know of one book club in Taipei, but it meets in Tien Mu, which is a bit far for me.

message 38: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments Great suggestion! So does that mean you can get books for free if you bring your own used books in?

message 39: by Syd (new)

Syd Goldsmith | 3 comments Two Musicians and The Wife Who Isn't by Syd Goldsmith

Hi. I'm new to the group, and am wondering whether there are any reading or writing groups in the Taipei area.

message 40: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Miao (xiaopandatw) | 2 comments Yeah, Whose will either give you credit or money when you bring in your books. I always try to only pick out my credit limit I bring in, but still end up spending money when I find too many good books!

There is a writing group in Taipei --> Taipei Writer's Group We are a small group right now (only 4~5) but we have quite a range of writing styles, from poetry to stream of conscious to fantasy. Feel free to join! We are always happy to meet new members!

message 41: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 24 comments thank you! Now I know where to go with the books I've read. Usually I just donated them to the library knowing that it may not be the best home for them since most people here rather read Mandarin.

message 42: by Syd (new)

Syd Goldsmith | 3 comments Manda wrote: "Yeah, Whose will either give you credit or money when you bring in your books. I always try to only pick out my credit limit I bring in, but still end up spending money when I find too many good b..."

Manda, Thanks for the info about the Taipei Writer's Group. I joined. Syd

message 43: by Wawa (new)

Wawa (WawaCheng) | 2 comments Manda wrote: "Hi~ I'm new to this thread, but I wanted to add that Whose Books is also a great place to go for secondhand books. I usually take all my used books and trade them there. I read fantasy which can..."

thank you so much manda :)

message 44: by Abel (new)

Abel Reed (Abelreed) | 2 comments Hey guys, I have a group on FB and we're meeting for a book swap in Taipei on Sunday, January 20th, at 13:00. Join, it could use new members. I like actual books - maybe because I know if I carry a kindle I'll probably lose it, and boom, all gone. If I lose one book, eh. Anyhoo, welcome.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bookstw
https://www.facebook.com/events/50483...

message 45: by Aya (new)

Aya Ling | 1 comments Hi, about 10 years ago I had to spend loads to order books from Amazon, but now I mostly download via my Kindle app. Much cheaper and no waiting for months on shipping! Also, you can try ordering from the Book Depository and Better World Books, which offer books with worldwide free shipping with no minimum cost. However, it does take some time (at least a month) for them to arrive. Happy reading! :)

message 46: by Amy (last edited Mar 01, 2013 08:27PM) (new)

Amy Chichi Hsiao (amylord) | 2 comments Most of the ebook I have are from KOBO. I like the service they provide better, and most of the ebooks are a bit cheaper than kindle ones.

message 47: by Robert (new)

Robert (robertlindsay) Real books have an aesthetic appeal; plus its easy to write on them. The libraries here in Taipei are excellent - for non-fiction anyway. I'm new to this group, so if anyone reads this and has a similar reading list, feel free to contact me to trade some books - Rob

message 48: by Karthi (new)

Karthi | 1 comments Hellloo, im new to Taiwan and the group and i am a student in Hualien.. the books in Taiwan is quite expensive when compared to my country.. and miss the feel of visiting a book store. It will be amazing if someone is interested in trading books.

message 49: by Amy (new)

Amy Chichi Hsiao (amylord) | 2 comments Karthi wrote: "Hellloo, im new to Taiwan and the group and i am a student in Hualien.. the books in Taiwan is quite expensive when compared to my country.. and miss the feel of visiting a book store. It will be a..."

Though I've been collecting e-books instead of printed ones for sometime, I still have quite some printed ones. Feel free to let me know what genre you're interested in. I'll see what I have. Also, I have tons of e-books without encryption.

message 50: by D3NOVO (new)

D3NOVO Hi, Amy, I'm in Taipei and saw on your profile that you're interested in sci-fi. I have Ready Set One that I'd like to trade for a good sci-fi you could recommend, or possibly something Taiwan-related?

« previous 1