Great Books for Christians discussion

General > How are you going?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (gerbs) We are through the month of September ... two months to go.

I am a little behind schedule but there is plenty of time to catch up. Remember we are trying to build reading into our lives.

Keep at it ;-)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I am very behind schedule!! I am determined to keep reading but struggling along, I think I have baby brain at the moment as I am finding it hard to focus on anything. Will keep reading though, as for adding any intelligent comments to the discussion group, I'm afraid I have to apologise, as not many intelligent thoughts are coming to mind!

message 3: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (gerbs) Tamara wrote: "I am very behind schedule!! I am determined to keep reading but struggling along, I think I have baby brain at the moment as I am finding it hard to focus on anything. Will keep reading though, as ..."

The great thing is you are still trying!! I have found this group has really helped keep reading on my radar. Nothing like accountability relationships to keep us spurred on ;-)

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Sindel | 2 comments I am way behind, but not concerned, just enjoyed Chapter 2. This is a good book.

message 5: by Aidan (new)

Aidan | 9 comments Have just joined the group, got the book from the library and started - really enjoying it so far.

message 6: by Aidan (last edited Jan 23, 2011 12:37PM) (new)

Aidan | 9 comments Just finished - great book, I really enjoyed it.

message 7: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (gerbs) Hi Aiden and welcome aboard!

Things have been a bit quiet on this site for me because we have just moved house and job, but I do hope to get more active soon.

gerbs

message 8: by Aidan (new)

Aidan | 9 comments Thanks - as well as reading the book I've been listening to http://www.nomad.libsyn.com/ blogs and they have come up with some interesting Christian books as well. Aidan.

message 9: by Aidan (last edited Mar 03, 2011 11:55AM) (new)

Aidan | 9 comments I've just started the next book - looking good so far. Spent three days in Canterbury and read lots of David Pawson - definitely worth reading.

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary | 1 comments I am not going to finish "The Reason for God", have instead finished "Celebration of Discipline" by Richard Foster and am reading "With Christ in the Classroom of Prayer" by Andrew Murray (in which I am learning much).
Aidan, you said you just started the next book. What IS the next book?

message 11: by Aidan (new)

Aidan | 9 comments "How people change" by Timothy Lane and Paul David Tripp, this seems to be the one Anthony suggested. I really enjoyed "The Reason for God" so I'm wondering why your dropped it?

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill Dargen | 1 comments I want to suggest a book I ead last year and really enjoyed. It is "Faith and Politics" by Senator John Danforth. It is a very levelheaded look at how a man of faith intermingles jis beliefs with a life of action in the secular world.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey, sorry, I have not gotten around to this book either. But as long as we are recommending books, I have to recommend the Gospel of Thomas to those who have not read it. It's a shame we've had our Scriptures handpicked for us by a group of men in a time when Christianity had suddenly become a profitable institution. Am I the only one who finds that suspicious? The Gospel of Thomas is a contemporary of the other Gospels, though you probably already know this. Even if you do not "believe" in it, so to speak, that is my recommended book. Even so, whatever you choose, I would rather have you listen to God than me, and God bless!

message 14: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (gerbs) Hi all,
The reading list is selected from the resurgence recommended reading (see group details). So we'll stick with books from there.
I missed the boat with the last season, so let's make the Autumn (sthn hemisphere) book "how people change"

I read chapter one a few weeks ago and then flicked through the rest ofthe book. It looks like a very interesting and practical read.

Anthony

message 15: by Bill (new)

Bill (bill_forgeard) | 3 comments (Sorry for posting this comment in multiple places!)

Is this group stil a happening thing? I'm new to goodreads, but I love the idea, and would be willing to take over as the moderator and try to get it going again if people are still keen...?

The original idea seems good to me (i.e. choosing from the recommended books on this page: http://theresurgence.com/pages/books)

Bill

message 16: by Aidan (new)

Aidan | 9 comments Bill wrote: "(Sorry for posting this comment in multiple places!)

Is this group stil a happening thing? I'm new to goodreads, but I love the idea, and would be willing to take over as the moderator and try to ..."

Great Idea Bill - I sent a friend request to Anthony but he appears to have dropped off the radar. I'm still keen and if you have a look at my read list you will see the areas I'm interested in. Aidan