Forgotten Realms discussion

Your collection.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kurt (new)

Kurt (archmagister) | 16 comments just curious, how big is your forgotten realms library, im sitting on 83 forgotten realms titles right now... besides my other fantasy collects.

message 2: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrewd2) | 9 comments I think I have 10 books. All by either Steven Schend (my Favorite) Dave Gross, Ed Greenwood and Jeff Grubb.

message 3: by Stefan (last edited Oct 06, 2010 11:03AM) (new)

Stefan (stefansbookshelf) | 4 comments With the exception of a few, I have all of them. I have been reading FR since they came out under the TSR logo.

Here are a few of my more recent favorites.

Richard Baker's Sword of the Moonsea's trilogy
Richard Lee Byers Haunted Lands trilogy
City of the Dead by Rosemary Jones
The Restless Shore by James. P. Davis
Ghostwalker and DownShadow by Erik Scott DeBie
And anything by Paul S. Kemp or R.A. Salvatore

These are just a few of my favorites. Enjoy! :)

message 4: by Kurt (new)

Kurt (archmagister) | 16 comments hmmm michealtry th war of the spider queen series. Bruce r. cordell is another good author along with lisa smedman, just a couple of my favorites. I'm off to see Rob salvatore tomorrow he'll be in T.O on his book tour... i let you know how that went.

message 5: by Stefan (new)

Stefan (stefansbookshelf) | 4 comments Kurt, I am jealous :). I would love to meet Bob. I am currently reading Gauntlygrym and loving it.

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrewd2) | 9 comments Forgot I currently have the 2nd Erevis Cale Trilogy. The only book I ever recall throwing in the garbage was The Crystal Shard. Was the worst thing I've ever read.

message 7: by Kurt (new)

Kurt (archmagister) | 16 comments Stefan gauntelgrym was awesome, i'm gonna get mine signed :P. everyone is waiting on Godborn now Andrew but paul doesnt want to say when hes gonna release it, have you read the teaser chapters?

message 8: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenschend) | 12 comments Mod
I've lost or misplaced chunks of my TSR/WotC book collections among three different moves, but I know I've got every Ed Greenwood book and 90% of the short story collections and a smattering of other FR and other line books.

message 9: by Kurt (new)

Kurt (archmagister) | 16 comments Met with Bob Salvatore and Ed Greenwood on thursday it was pretty cool, Bob is insightful. Ed is really funny.

message 10: by Travis (new)

Travis (travizzt) | 5 comments Right now I have about 141 Forgotten Realms books. Most of them are newer but I have been picking up some of the older releases at used book stores and Half Priced Books. Most of them are paperback except for Salvatore's The Thousand Orcs, The Lone Drow, The Ghost King, and Gauntlgrym, as well as Richard Baker's Avenger. Also, I have only one omnibus, The Erevis Cale Trilogy by Paul S. Kemp. All in all, I do enjoy almost every single book and only hated maybe about 10 of them.

message 11: by Kurt (new)

Kurt (archmagister) | 16 comments anytime man, most of Kemp fans are waiting on Godborn his new installation from the cale series after you finished all the cale books you will definitely look forward to this, he said 2012 though hehe you got a year.
ohh and if B&N missing a book just ask the desk to get it for you they will call you when it arrives maybe 2-3 days. good luck.

message 12: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Tufford | 1 comments By my brothers count i think we have 183 books, but im not sure. Also i cant wait to start reading the cale trilogy.

message 13: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matt_hawker) | 18 comments Stefan wrote: "With the exception of a few, I have all of them. I have been reading FR since they came out under the TSR logo.

Here are a few of my more recent favorites. "

That's something I'm working on myself. I've recently been ordering a lot of the older ones or reprints (used of course) to catch up on all the ones I missed.

So I have expanded my collection recently."

Try finding The Summoning, The Siege, The Sorcerer all by Troy Denning as well. Fascinating stuff. If you like Paul S. Kemp's books, I would recommend these as well.

message 14: by Kurt (new)

Kurt (archmagister) | 16 comments @Matthew a very good recommendation i like the style denning used in those books. Btw im playing final fantasy 14 and my character is named Erevis Cale lol. But for absolute badness cale is owned by Rivalen, that guy is awesome.

message 15: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matt_hawker) | 18 comments Kurt wrote: "@Matthew a very good recommendation i like the style denning used in those books. Btw im playing final fantasy 14 and my character is named Erevis Cale lol. But for absolute badness cale is owned b..."

Yeah, Rivalen is pretty awesome. So cool and collected, though what more do you expect of a Shadovar who has lived so long.

message 16: by Ginny (last edited Jan 22, 2011 06:50PM) (new)

Ginny (ginnybelveal) | 6 comments I have a lot of them, bought what could I find for my kindle on amazon.com, really wish I could find the complete collection (up to now) for kindle. Would love to read them all again, just don't want to go dig out the boxes they're in, been reading them since they started coming out. I have way too many books!!

message 17: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matt_hawker) | 18 comments Ginny wrote: "I have a lot of them, bought what could I find for my kindle on amazon.com""

It would be AMAZING if an e-reader, I don't care which, would start releasing "series packs" such as this.. like $100 for every book in the forgotten realms in digital format. It would be so worth it.

message 18: by Kurt (new)

Kurt (archmagister) | 16 comments thats a great idea ginny i mean why not... you should definitely promote that, im sure they would love selling a bundle of books at once.

message 19: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matt_hawker) | 18 comments @Kurt and @ginny
They might consider it if they knew that it would sell.

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 2 comments Big fan of R.A. Salvatore, have all his books 4 or 5 times over.

message 21: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Cothern (bcothernbooks) | 2 comments I currently own 107 Forgotten Realm books... been buying them since the early 80's and I am getting ready to buy Richard Lee Byers new trilogy this week when the 3rd book is released :)

message 22: by Kurt (new)

Kurt (archmagister) | 16 comments Ahh yes good stuff i constantly expand my collection adding in missing books... im trying to get all the pieces from the new setting.

message 23: by Ginny (new)

Ginny (ginnybelveal) | 6 comments I wish I could find an up to date list of the books! It's a real pain trying to find the books when I don't know what I'm missing! lol

message 24: by Ginny (new)

Ginny (ginnybelveal) | 6 comments Andrew wrote: "Forgot I currently have the 2nd Erevis Cale Trilogy. The only book I ever recall throwing in the garbage was The Crystal Shard. Was the worst thing I've ever read."

2nd Erevis Cale Trilogy? What is it called? I loved that series!

message 25: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matt_hawker) | 18 comments Ginny wrote: "I wish I could find an up to date list of the books! It's a real pain trying to find the books when I don't know what I'm missing! lol"

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki...

this is what i use

message 26: by Ginny (new)

Ginny (ginnybelveal) | 6 comments Thanks! I'll check it out! I'm busy importing the books I do own into Calibre, so much easier to manage my older ebooks with it!

message 27: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matt_hawker) | 18 comments The Twilight War is fantastic.

message 28: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matt_hawker) | 18 comments I'm not sure if I would read it again so soon (just finished the last book a few months ago) but I would participate in the group discussion with what I can remember.

message 29: by M. (new)

M. Keep (jmkeep) I believe I have all of Lisa Smeadman and Elaine Cunningham. My primary interest is in the Drow, so I have The War of the Spider Queen, The Lady Penitent Series and Starlight and Shadows read.

I'm also reading the books about Thay - The Haunted Lands. Unbroken Chains. Dawnbringer. Gossamer Plain.

Those are the major series I've read or intend to read.

message 30: by Ginny (new)

Ginny (ginnybelveal) | 6 comments I now own all the books, either on kindle or paperback. Would love to have them on kindle though.

message 31: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel | 9 comments According to goodreads, i have 16. I suspect that between books not entered and books I've forgotten to label properly, it's actually a little more than that.

Not many, I suppose - but surprisingly many, one might say, given that I've yet to read a single FR book that was actually good. [Some have been passable] Then again, I also apparently have 22 Dragonlance books, demonstrating that quality is not a prerequisite for ownership for me...

message 32: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matt_hawker) | 18 comments @Wastrel

Out of curiosity, what books/authors have you been reading? There are definitely some that are better/worse than others.

message 33: by Wastrel (last edited Mar 05, 2012 10:43AM) (new)

Wastrel | 9 comments Matthew wrote: "@Wastrel

Out of curiosity, what books/authors have you been reading? There are definitely some that are better/worse than others."

Well, first off, thanks for asking, because it lead me to investigate and find out I had indeed criminally under-shelved them, and actually I've got 30 entered in Goodreads.
And I'm currently staring across my room at a book that should be one of those 30 but apparently isn't, which doesn't bode well for the ones I DON'T remember and/or can't see from my chair.

Anyway, I've apparently read (and take this with a pinch of salt - I've read these but I know I've read others as well - probably another 5-15 - if nothing else I borrowed quite a few from friends):
- the first 11 books of "The Legend of Driz'zt" (although they weren't called that when I read them; and I have no memory at all of #10, but I assume I read it)
- Moonshae Trilogy, 1-3
- Avatar Trilogy, 1-5 (well, it was sold as a trilogy, apparently they've since stuck the two sequel books into the series as well)
- Netheril Trilogy, 1-3
- Songs and Swords, 1-5 (although they were just Harper novels when I bought them)
- Starlight and Shadows, 1-2
- some random other books, like "Spellfire", "Azure Bonds", "The Glass Prison", "The Magehound", "Silverfall" and so on. [I actually really liked Silverfall for some reason, despite having realised at the time that it was utterly shit. Sometimes I have bad and inexplicable taste in books]

Some of these books were passable, and some even hit the heights of "solidly entertaining if you're into that kind of stuff", but I don't think any of them were honestly good books. Though it's been a while since I've reread any of them (hmm, a project!), so I couldn't say anything definitively.

EDIT: also, I apparently haven't read any FR novel published in more than a decade. How time flies.

message 34: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matt_hawker) | 18 comments @Wastrel

That's a pretty wide range of books, from several different authors. Is it the world you don't like, or the writing style? This may be an odd question, but when it comes to fantasy which do you like more: swordplay, magic, or lore? (this is to help me to possibly recommend you an author to try out)

message 35: by MrsDrasek (new)

MrsDrasek | 5 comments My library now contains all the FR books to date which looks to be in the 300's + but I haven't counted. I'm missing one that just was released but on the way. I have been collecting for over 12 years now and had to find a lot of titles that were out of print or hard to find.
I have not read them all though.

message 36: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matt_hawker) | 18 comments @Riven's Girl

I had the same issue with a lot of the books that were released very early on in the series. Congrats though on the collection. That's my goal, but it will take me a while to do.

message 37: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel | 9 comments Matthew wrote: "@Wastrel

That's a pretty wide range of books, from several different authors. Is it the world you don't like, or the writing style? This may be an odd question, but when it comes to fantasy which ..."

Oh, sorry, forgot to get back to you.

It's both.
I read these books mostly just because they were there - I was a voracious fantasy fan when I was, say, 8-15 (and a little bit after that, but I tended to reread the same things after a point, I think). I didn't think they were particularly good even then, and now that my tastes have broadened and matured (I still love fantasy, but I'm now aware of just how good books can be, both within and without the genre), I don't remember them that flatteringly.

I haven't read any in the last few years (when I've been reviewing the books I read), so I can't say anything too specific, and maybe memory has mislead me.

However, my general impression of FR books was:
- poor standard of prose
- generally predictable and cliche plotting (I know something like FR is never meant to be brain-shatteringly original, but that doesn't mean you can't put SOME twists into the tale - and the twists that everyone spots instantly don't count)
- little character depth, limited character development
- bland and conventional setting. Even within the subgenre of D&D novels, FR doesn't have the inspirational singularity of, say, Dark Sun, Spelljammer or Planescape, or even the distinctive character of Dragonlance or (the better parts of) Ravenloft. FR always felt to me like they were trying to make it as generic as possible - even to the extent of jamming together different generic settings that have nothing to do with one-another, to make sure that there's no story you can't tell in that world.

Of course, they must have done something right, or I wouldn't have read 30-40 of them...

[Resolution: must re-read an FR book soon...]

message 38: by Atli (new)

Atli Freyr (duragonburo) | 1 comments I own 48 books (all have been read), two are Dragonlance, one Ebberon. Salvatore takes the prize for having written most of them, but I really think my favorites are Obsidian Ridge and Master of Chains by Jess Lebow, Elaine Cunningham's Starlight and Shadows trilogy, Elminster: the Making of a Mage and Salvatore's War of the Spider Queen series, thought I haven't finished more than the first two.

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael Tharp | 28 comments I will need to do an actual count, but I have the Entire Drizzt Series (Some in collected edition). War of the Spider Queen, Lady Penitent Trilogy, Starlight and Shadows Trilogy, The last Mythal series (reading now), and Shadow Bred (also reading). Several short story collections, and the Moonseas Trilogy coming up next.

Yeah, I'm a fan.

message 40: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (danube42) | 1 comments I own about half the series. Just collecting it bit by bit. Wish I could read them as fast as I buy them. My favorite authors are Cunningham and Greenwood.

message 41: by Nick (last edited May 27, 2013 10:31AM) (new)

Nick Wilson | 1 comments Not sure, I nkow I own every novel from the start to the end of 1999, which is just over 100, stopped for a while, but reckon I must have at least another 30 and about 20 on my Kindle

message 42: by Val (new)

Val Panesar | 33 comments I have Drizzt's adventures up to the first book of the Neverwinter trilogy - So that's around 20 right there. I have the Pathfinder trilogy, Blades of the Moonsea trilogy, the clerical quintet - and a few stand alones. Probably around 35 all told :)

message 43: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matt_hawker) | 18 comments Val wrote: "I have Drizzt's adventures up to the first book of the Neverwinter trilogy - So that's around 20 right there. I have the Pathfinder trilogy, Blades of the Moonsea trilogy, the clerical quintet - an..."

if you have all the drizt books, its more like 35 haha.

message 44: by Val (new)

Val Panesar | 33 comments Oh, yeah, I forgot the Transitions books since they're not on my shelf anymore :p

message 45: by MrsDrasek (new)

MrsDrasek | 5 comments Matthew wrote: "@Riven's Girl

I had the same issue with a lot of the books that were released very early on in the series. Congrats though on the collection. That's my goal, but it will take me a while to do."

You can do it, it took me forever but I am pleased with having them all. Among my prized possessions are my books by author Paul S. Kemp. It will probably take me just as long to read all the books as it took collecting them. :)

message 46: by Devan (new)

Devan Harvey | 3 comments I have every FR and Dragonlance book minus about 5. Ravenloft, Dark Sun, and Spelljammer books too. Been collecting them since I was in junior high.

message 47: by Drew (new)

Drew Cook | 1 comments Devan thats insane! beats my collections hands down. dark sun reference?!!

message 48: by Devan (last edited Jan 20, 2014 10:13AM) (new)

Devan Harvey | 3 comments I own everything TSR and Wizards of the Coast put out. I quit buying them a few years ago so my collection is not complete. Had all the Dark Sun, Dragon Lance, Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, and Spelljammer books. I used to be at the bookstore on release day every Tuesday to snatch up the newest book. For a while there was 2-3 new books a month, but now they are what? One new book every other month? It's a shame. They are so much fun to read. I started reading them with the Dark Elf trilogy when I was in middle school and never stopped.

message 49: by D (new)

D (darrentpatrick) | 4 comments Wow. That's impressive, Devan!

message 50: by John (new)

John Hayes (jhayes27) | 5 comments I only own three paperbacks and have the first four of The Sundering series and the sequel to The Companions, The night of the Hunter on kindle.