The Romance Reviews discussion

Miscellaneous Discussions > How do Online Reviews Influence your Purchasing Habits?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paige (new)

Paige (anauthor) | 67 comments Mod
Discussion about online reviews and how they perhaps influence your purchasing habits.

message 2: by Grace (new)

Grace Elliot (httpwwwgoodreadscomgraceelliot) Oh, this is a good question!
As a rule my eye goes first to the number of 'stars' a book is awarded. I know this is superficial but reading a lengthy review can be tedious.
I am quite cynical and read a lot of online reviews that sound as though they've been written by the author - the praise is so glowing, so again I tend to discount anything that doesnt sound balanced or is over effusive.

The Romance Reviews (Carole) (The_Romance_Reviews) | 32 comments Mod
I would say reading reviews has piqued my interest in more than 1 book. I was also exposed to more authors and books than if I'd stayed in my little corner of the world. So, I would definitely say they've influenced me a lot.

message 4: by The Romance Reviews (Carole) (last edited Dec 05, 2010 07:13PM) (new)

The Romance Reviews (Carole) (The_Romance_Reviews) | 32 comments Mod
Grace wrote: "I am quite cynical and read a lot of online reviews that sound as though they've been written by the author - the praise is so glowing, so again I tend to discount anything that doesnt sound balanced or is over effusive.

Hey, Grace, I do understand what you mean, but what if the book is really *that* good? Another factor to consider is, the reviewer's taste is not necessarily the same as yours. What if to that reviewer, the book is all glowing praise because she truly loved it and could find no fault in it?

I used to follow a certain blog once and treat that blogger's voice as THE voice. (She's quite popular and has quite a huge following.) If she says it's good, then I go and read it. Then I realized a few books later, that our tastes are different. What she luuurved, I don't necessarily do. Then again, I've loved books that she didn't like. :)

message 5: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 140 comments I have to admit that sometimes when I read a book's review's and there are not too many 4 and 5 stars but lots of fewer stars I sometimes choose not to read the book, unless the storyline is something that really appeals.

message 6: by Grace (new)

Grace Elliot (httpwwwgoodreadscomgraceelliot) Bronwyn, I know what you mean. Anything with several 2 or 1 stars I tend to skip over (slap my wrists!) I like to think I give 3 stars a look over the blurb, because so much of it is personal taste.