Nautical Fiction discussion

Books to read.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bonsaiforlife (new)

Bonsaiforlife | 6 comments Mod
Anyone have suggestions on some good nautical fiction books we can read? The majority of the books that I have in my to read pile are old books from the 20's and 30's from Nordhoff and Hall (authors of Mutiny on the Bounty). I imagine that most of these books would be hard for people to come by.

I just picked up a copy of "The Guardship" by James Nelson. I think this might be an easier copy to obtain. I am going to add this as a book to read for the group.

Feel free to post up suggestions. I want to find new authors in nautical fiction so dont be shy on recommending a book for us to read.

message 2: by Peter (last edited Oct 24, 2010 10:48AM) (new)

Peter Roach (clipper24) | 5 comments Jan de Hartog, a dutch writer who wrote a series of books on ocean tugs. Excellant skill in writing, his last book (before he died) funny enough was Sci-Fi and nautical combined, not bad at all. His tug boat series is very similiar to Farley Mowats stories on WW2 salvage tugs (Grey Seas Under).

Nicholas Monsarrat is another author, the book Cruel Sea is well known, but another book written years later is fantastic, "Master Mariner- Running Proud". It is about a sailor that is cursed to live forever, from the time of Drake tell today.

message 3: by Jinx (new)

Jinx Schwartz (jinxschwartz) | 8 comments Winner: International EPPIE Award for Best Mystery is free at http://amzn.to/oA9wuF on July 14, and 15th.

Hetta Coffey is a woman with a yacht, and she's not afraid to use it.
She's a globe-trotting civil engineer with swath of failed multi-national affairs in her jet stream.

Plying the San Francisco waterfront, trolling for triceps, her attention is snagged by a parade of passing yachts--especially their predominantly male skippers--and experiences a champagne-induced epiphany: If she had a boat, she could get a man.

In spite of a spectacular ignorance of all things nautical, Hetta buys her dream boat, but shadowy stalker, an inconvenient body, and Hetta's own self-destructive foibles, give a whole new meaning to the phrase "sink or swim!"

message 4: by Kari (new)

Kari (kdcreston) | 2 comments Anything by Marryat. If you haven't read any of his books READ them now. He is the best and he actually lived it. Start with Peter Simple or Percival Keen. Most People start with Midshipman Easy but I think those or easier to get into. To my mind he is better then Jane Austin. I mean he wrote about battles and pirates and was very funny. What did she write about balls, dances and tea parties. Boring. Don't get me wrong I like Jane Austin and admire her, but I LOVE Captain Marryat and always will. I have re-read his books many times and never get tired of them. I have read Jane Austin's books once or maybe twice. Do yourself a favor and try one.

message 5: by Jinx (new)

Jinx Schwartz (jinxschwartz) | 8 comments Thanks for reminding me about Marryat. I read the books years ago, way before I started living on a boat and cruising Mexico, so need to do so again. Am headed for the Sea of Cortez now, so will try to add to my winter reading library. jinx

message 6: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Gaiser Thanks for the Marryat suggestion. Haven't heard of him before, but the Peter Simple novel looks interesting. A large number of his books are available from Gutenberg.

message 7: by Gerard (new)

Gerard Fleck (gerardfleck) | 7 comments Has anyone read WE THE DROWNED? I just read it and thought it was very good.

message 8: by Jinx (new)

Jinx Schwartz (jinxschwartz) | 8 comments Thought I'd let you know that Troubled Sea http://bit.ly/tsea is now a best selling Sea Advenure on Amazon. jinx

message 9: by Gerard (new)

Gerard Fleck (gerardfleck) | 7 comments I just read SAILOR TWAIN and thought it was great. It's about a riverboat on NY's Hudson River in the 1800s. Great characters, story, plot, themes and illustrations. That's right illustrations. It's a graphic novel. I have read a few and they are mostly for kids but SAILOR TWAIN is for adults. I highly recommend it, especially for fans of nautical literature. There are many parts of the plot that are fantastic, and I mean mythology, fantasy, make believe ... and the author pulls it off remarkably. 5-stars from me for SAILOR TWAIN.

message 10: by Gerard (new)

Gerard Fleck (gerardfleck) | 7 comments Another recommendation I have for this group is SAILORS TAKE WARNING by Malcolm Torres. This is a mystery thriller set aboard the USS Nimitz in the near future. It starts out based in reality. The characters range from a female corpsman, the chief medical officer, a few flight deck workers, the skipper and XO, an NCIS detective working undercover on a bizarre crime and a few other crew members. The ship is testing a new high tech system that is quite interesting, but at the same time there are some bizarre crimes taking place in the medical department and up on the flight deck. Everything is NOT what it seems, as the ship approaches the equator the plot thickens ... and all I can say is I read the last 200 pages of this 280 page book in less than 2 days. This ain't yer grandpa's nautical fiction. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 11: by Ag (new)

Ag Rives | 3 comments Flag 9 is a post apocalyptic nautical tale out of Northeast Florida. If you are a salty dog, this is the adventure for you. Hope you prepped!

And...Flag 9, Book 2 is here!

Written on the hook by a liveaboard sailor, this wild thriller is different.

http://m.jacksonville.com/entertainme...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MNSO...