Sweeping Sagas discussion

Group Reads > Outback: November 2010

Comments Showing 1-50 of 144 (144 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 05, 2010 03:14PM) (new)

Outback by Aaron Fletcher

Guess we're starting here, folks! November 1 for the first book in the Outback Saga, aptly titled "Outback".

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 04, 2010 07:56PM) (new)

Oh, and for those who are looking for the entire series, here they are in order:

1. Outback
2. Outback Station
3. Walkabout
4. Wallaby Track
5. Outback Legacy

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 478 comments Mod
Michele wrote: "better? or worse? (I feel like an eye doctor)"

Nope, it isn't showing up on the group page. Keep tryin, ask an expert to help or make me a temporary mod and I think I can do it. Leaving for home now, so you have about an hour before I check back in on your progress.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

oh for heaven's sake, why didn't you say so? presto chango....u be moderator, lol. See? I could at least do that much, ha!

message 5: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Oh, set in Australia! Just requested it from the library. Hopefully I will actually get to read this loot!

message 6: by Misfit (new)

Marg wrote: "Oh, set in Australia! Just requested it from the library. Hopefully I will actually get to read this loot!"

Oh cool, the more the merrier.

Michele wrote: "oh for heaven's sake, why didn't you say so? presto chango....u be moderator, lol. See? I could at least do that much, ha!"

Got it fixed, all that was needed was to change the shelf from read to to-read. IIRC members will get an email shortly before the read begins.

message 7: by Karla (new)

Karla I found a copy in the UBS today totally by chance so I'll try to read along with you next month. 2 weeks' leave from work and unable to do anything strenuous, so I'll have plenty of reading time!

message 8: by Misfit (new)

Perfect, I think this is going to be the largest (participant wise) buddy read I've ever been on.

message 9: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Picked my copy up from the library tonight. The print is tiny!

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Marg wrote: "Picked my copy up from the library tonight. The print is tiny!"

Great....

I'm going to place my hold closer to end of the month, unless everyone else gets started early. They have three copies available so I shouldn't have to worry about waiting like you do for the latest PG book.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Ive already started..hope thats ok..Im a slower reader..& I didnt have anything else to read..(no one bought that did they?) :)

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill Okay, my copy arrived today.
Are we reading the whole series?
If so, I'll just need to place an order so they arrive in plenty of time.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Jill wrote: "Okay, my copy arrived today.
Are we reading the whole series?
If so, I'll just need to place an order so they arrive in plenty of time."

I'm thinking yea, the whole series. But if anyone dislikes them, they can always "drop out" at any time.

message 14: by Jill (new)

Jill Thanks, Michele.

message 15: by Misfit (new)

My copy is sitting on my hold shelf as we speak. I intend to read the whole series, but I'll probably break it up a bit. Unless I get sucked into it of course :)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Im not sure..there was a LOT..A LOT!.. of sheep round-ups..& a few other issues..but I cant say more...but I may just to know what happens ,but like Misfit break it up.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Just in case anyone else is as confused with the vernacular as I was.....

A pannikin

A billy of tea

Damper bread

message 18: by Misfit (new)

Oh, thanks for that I appreciate it. One of my grouses was going to be no glossary telling us what's what.

message 19: by Misfit (new)

One more,

Sheep.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Awwww, I'm getting downright fond of the sheep.

message 21: by Jill (new)

Jill Oh, and arse = ass.
Sorry, can't supply picture.

message 22: by Misfit (new)

Jill wrote: "Oh, and arse = ass.
Sorry, can't supply picture."

I am tempted.

I think the sheep look cute too, as long as I don't have to smell them :)

message 23: by Jill (new)

Jill What chapter is everyone up to? I keep having to play catch-up.

message 24: by Misfit (new)

Jill wrote: "What chapter is everyone up to? I keep having to play catch-up."

I'm on page 150 or thereabouts. I'll be slower for a couple of days as I'll only have time after dinner to read.

message 25: by Jill (new)

Jill Misfit wrote: "Jill wrote: "What chapter is everyone up to? I keep having to play catch-up."

I'm on page 150 or thereabouts. I'll be slower for a couple of days as I'll only have time after dinner to read."

Okay, I'm just starting ch 8 (p114).

message 26: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Nov 01, 2010 01:53PM) (new)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) @ Misfit that too was going to be one of my complaints
no explanation of things.. so thank you Michele for clearing up 3 things I just shrugged my shoulders when they mentioned those 3 things..was kinda figuring out the bread.....and now I can SEE rounding up the sheep! LOL!

message 27: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments If you have questions about words or whatever, just ask.

If you are interested, here's a recipe for the damper - it's traditionally something of a staple when you are out camping but I don't think I have had any since I was in school

message 28: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Misfit wrote: "One more,

Sheep."

They look more like New Zealand sheep to me ;-)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Marg wrote: "Misfit wrote: "One more,

Sheep."

They look more like New Zealand sheep to me ;-)"

That better be a joke, Marg....(scratching head and off to google the difference between NZ sheep and Aussie sheep.....sheesh).

message 30: by Misfit (new)

They all look alike to me :)

message 31: by Jill (new)

Jill Marg wrote: "Misfit wrote: "One more,

Sheep."

They look more like New Zealand sheep to me ;-)"

Yeah, Marg. Definitely New Zealand sheep. You can tell by the silly looks on their faces.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) I dont know...Ive seen scottish sheep..Canadian sheep..look all the same to me..we being had here?

message 33: by Jill (new)

Jill Sandi wrote: "I dont know...Ive seen scottish sheep..Canadian sheep..look all the same to me..we being had here?"

Nah.

message 34: by Misfit (new)

Sandi wrote: "I dont know...Ive seen scottish sheep..Canadian sheep..look all the same to me..we being had here?"

I think you are right Sandi. I dunno, but those sheep look more OZ like than Kiwi.

message 35: by Jill (new)

Jill Marg,
I been thinking that Sam Kekovich must be a descendent of Patrick Garrity.

Misfit,
I'm not sure how to do a link to youtube so you guys can see Sam Kekovich our 'Lambassador'. His ads are a riot.

message 36: by Misfit (new)

Jill, there is always copy and paste. I'll hunt it down later. The AV updates are running again and it's slowing everything down....

Just finished part I. I'm thinking we could have separate threads for say Part I finished and discuss without worrying about spoilers?

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Misfit wrote: "Jill, there is always copy and paste. I'll hunt it down later. The AV updates are running again and it's slowing everything down....

Just finished part I. I'm thinking we could have separate thr..."

Sounds good. I finished it this afternoon, but am afraid of spoiling things as I don't know where you gals are. In the story, that is.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Yes.. now that the sheep have been "rounded-up" Im curious to know what others thought of Patrick & Mayrah? What you liked/didnt like of their characters? do you feel the story is moving at a good pace? or too slow? Has the story itself so far been what you thought it would be?

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I was actually a tad confused in the beginning, since Fletcher wrote a chapter from Pat's point of view and then immediately rewrote it from Mayrah's. So I thought the whole novel would go that route, although I'm grateful it didn't.

The whole aboriginal thing didn't do much for me....but to be fair, I'm never that interested in Native American stuff either (horrible of me, I know). So I was glad when things moved along.

I loved how protective Mayrah was....after I got over the ewwwww of the grubs, I really grew to like her!

message 40: by Misfit (new)

Michele wrote: "I was actually a tad confused in the beginning, since Fletcher wrote a chapter from Pat's point of view and then immediately rewrote it from Mayrah's. So I thought the whole novel would go that ro..."

I feel pretty much the same, and I did like Mayrah and her assimilation into Pat's *world*. That said, I'm glad the entire novel did not consist of this or I'd have been snoozing..

Yes, Mayrah was quite the protective one, wasn't she?

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Misfit wrote: "Michele wrote: "I was actually a tad confused in the beginning, since Fletcher wrote a chapter from Pat's point of view and then immediately rewrote it from Mayrah's. So I thought the whole novel ..."

I think later in the novel you will really appreciate getting to "know" Mayrah in this first part. It's as if you will know Mayrah better than other characters do....it's kind of a cool effect.

message 42: by Misfit (new)

Looking forward to it. Just getting into Elizabeth's story.

pom·my or pom·mie (pm)
n. pl. pom·mies Australian & New Zealand Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a British person, especially a recent immigrant.

message 43: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Whether it's true or not I am not sure, but I was always told that the word pommie had come from the fact that Australia was originally a British penal colony and so originally it was Prisoner of His/Hr Majesty - POHM, which then morphed into Poms. The words pom and pommies are still used in the vernacular now.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Marg wrote: "Whether it's true or not I am not sure, but I was always told that the word pommie had come from the fact that Australia was originally a British penal colony and so originally it was Prisoner of H..."

Still used, eh? That's cool. To refer to Brits?

message 45: by Misfit (new)

Marg wrote: "Whether it's true or not I am not sure, but I was always told that the word pommie had come from the fact that Australia was originally a British penal colony and so originally it was Prisoner of H..."

Interesting. I wasn't quite sure what it meant (except that is was derogatory) and when I googled it I found multiple dictionaries with the same definition.

message 46: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Yes, specifically in reference to whingeing poms, and in sporting contests against the English.

message 47: by Jill (new)

Jill Has anyone ever heard the term 'gets' before?
I haven't, but am wondering if it is the same as 'gits', which I use myself.

message 48: by Misfit (new)

Marg wrote: "Yes, specifically in reference to whingeing poms, and in sporting contests against the English."

So the Brits aren't that popular in OZ, or is it kind of jokey like we do up here in the Northwest about the Californians?

I did find a bit on Wik about pommie and they mentioned the POHM as a possible source, but not confirmed by fact.

message 49: by Jill (new)

Jill Misfit wrote: "Marg wrote: "Yes, specifically in reference to whingeing poms, and in sporting contests against the English."

So the Brits aren't that popular in OZ, or is it kind of jokey like we do up here in..."

It is as you say, Misfit a kind of jokey thing. We have that similar type of regard for New Zealanders as well. As Marg said, it often comes out in sporting competitions like rugby or cricket. It's just friendly name calling.

message 50: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 128 comments Jill wrote: "Has anyone ever heard the term 'gets' before?
I haven't, but am wondering if it is the same as 'gits', which I use myself."

What's the context Jill?

« previous 1 3