Pamela Clare ~ Fan Group discussion

What's Cookin'? > Melissa's Taco Pot Junk - Crock Pot Recipe

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (last edited Oct 04, 2010 01:29PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1381 comments Mod
OK, when you read the directions and ingredients you're going to think "OH GROSS!!!" But honestly, try it! My daughter's planned a girls night get together for my birthday and we had this. EVERYONE loved it!

Melissa’s Taco Pot Junk

2 cans of chili – no beans
2 cans of corn - drained
1 can of black beans - drained
1 jar of salsa - heat level to taste
4 uncooked boneless/skinless chicken breasts - 5 or 6 for lots of chicken
1 Packet of Taco seasoning
1 - 2 cans refried beans
some onion powder to taste

Put the chicken in the crockpot first.
Add all ingredients EXCEPT refried beans.
Cook on high for about 3 1/2 hours.

When the chicken starts falling apart (about 3 1/2 hours) take it out and shred it.

Add 1 (or 2) cans of refried beans and finish cooking for 30 minutes. (If it seems too runny for burritos or nachos, add the 2nd can of refried beans and finish cooking.) It's forgiving because it's in the crockpot.

Serve over chips for nachos or roll in flour tortillas for burritos. We serve it with cheese and sourcream.

Note I've posted this recipe in other groups and everyone who has tried it, raved about it, and are always asked for the recipe. Don't let the ingredients gross you out, give it a shot!

message 2: by Auntee (new)

Auntee | 61 comments Actually, that sounds pretty good! I like all those ingredients...just need to get a crockpot!

UM, did you say it was your birthday??

message 3: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (last edited Oct 04, 2010 01:37PM) (new)

LOL!!! I did, but I lied! LOL Actually, I copied and pasted this recipe from where I had posted it in another group, one that I actually posted on my birthday. On re-read of this post, I realized my mistake and edited it out.

A lady we post with on another group cooked this a week or so ago for her family and they loved it. Then she cooked it for her nephew and his friends for his 18th birthday, and THEY loved it and wanted the recipe for a party they are going to this weekend! We got a laugh over the image of a bunch of 18 year old GUYS standing around a crock pot, cooking. LOL

message 4: by Auntee (new)

Auntee | 61 comments LOL about the birthday thing.:)

Couple of questions: Cooking on "High" in a crockpot--any idea what the temp would be?
I'm wondering if I can cook this in one of those electric roasters with similar results?

message 5: by Pamela(AllHoney), Julian, Marc, and Zach are MINE! (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 817 comments Mod
Can it be made with hamburger? I'm allergic to chicken :(

message 6: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (new)

I really don't know, Auntee. Maybe you can find something online about it? And for that matter, I wonder if cooking it in a dutch oven would work. Do you have one of those?

Pamela, I don't know how that would change the cooking time and temp. What about roast? Now, I think that would work for sure.

message 7: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (new)

And pork roast, too. I'm sure those would work. Don't know how it would change the flavor, but it might be worth a try.

message 8: by Pamela(AllHoney), Julian, Marc, and Zach are MINE! (new)

hmmm, yes, I'll try a roast. I'll let ya know how it taste:)

message 9: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (new)

Pork has a more mild flavor than beef, so might be the best bet for the experiment, unless you don't care for pork.

Let us know how it turns out!

message 10: by Pamela(AllHoney), Julian, Marc, and Zach are MINE! (new)

got both in the freezers. I'll try the pork probably.

message 11: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. Badass (mrsbadass) | 140 comments I would totally make this with beef :)

message 12: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (new)

Give it a shot, Erika! Post what you thought of it. I have a pork roast. I think I'll try that.

message 13: by Auntee (last edited Oct 04, 2010 03:38PM) (new)

Auntee | 61 comments Went to the website of the brand of roaster I have (Nesco) and they said the roaster can easily be used as a slow-cooker/crockpot by setting the temperature at 200 degrees and stirring often...yay!:)

Also found... A typical slow cooker is designed to heat food to 170°F (77°C) on low, to perhaps 190-200°F (88-93°C) on high.. So "high" on a crockpot would be about 200 degrees on a roaster.

message 14: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, They're All Mine! (new)

Nice, thanks for the information, Auntee. I assume then it's the same cooking time, right?

message 15: by Auntee (new)

Auntee | 61 comments Yes, I think so. If I find out otherwise I'll let you know.:)