EDUC 567 Children's Lit discussion

Ender's Game > Ender's Game Reflection

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ritsa (new)

Ritsa Mallous | 35 comments Mod
:)

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina Edmiston (cedmiston) | 11 comments As discussion director for this book discussion, here is my prompt for you:

Love it or hate it? Discuss. :) Do you think this is a book that is primarily for boys or for both genders?

Personally, I've never been a fan of science fiction. Twilight is probably the farthest I've gone from realistic fiction. After reading this book, I'm not really sure how I feel about the book. I like the characters, but the whole story was sort of crazy. What do you all think? :)

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 12 comments With only 30 pages left to read at the time of the discussion, I was anxious not to know what happens in the end. Thankfully we did not talk about that as much as the genre itself, which we called Sci-fi, and the themes of the novel. I've been thinking more about that question, about the themes, because I initially could not see any 'teachable' ones that came out of the novel. But upon more reflection I thought about perseverance, manipulation, dedication, and the basics of right in wrong regarding humanity. I think the ending with Ender finding the cocoon and keeping it instead of destroying it opens a flood gate of discussion about whether one person or species should have such ultimate power and control. The last part of the novel had a few twists that kept my attention for the whole 357 pages. Even though there were lots, and I mean lots, of battle school battle scenes, I think what attracted me to read on was the action coupled with the psychological games that were being played on Ender. I mentioned in the group that I easily get caught up in action movies, not really big shoot 'em up movies, but where there's non-stop action, almost a thriller without the blood and guts horror. That is how I read Ender's Game, like an action movie.
To answer Christina's question, I do think this book has more boy appeal with the video-battle-games and the other warfare-type violence. However, I, in the end, enjoyed the book and may consider reading others from the series when reading for my own purpose returns to my life.

message 4: by Beimnet (new)

Beimnet As much grief as I get, I wouldn't say I hated the book. Would I ever read it again, no. Would I recommend it to someone personally, probably not. But I can see myself putting it on a list my students could pick up to read a book from a specific genre. This just really isn't anything I'm drawn to as a reader. The writing style, topic, family members, nature of the games, and the people Ender is surrounded by make it a book that is hard for me to enjoy. Reading Jenn's post on how I could teach it, gave me some ideas. But I wouldn't do it as a whole class activity. I would have it on the list of books to choose from for literature circles though. In small groups where the people chose the book, those students could have meaningful discussions on a lot of the themes in the book. For Christina's question, I think the book is geared more towards boys. I hate saying that because the statement sort of excludes girls who enjoy the book, but I think it is. The cover alone is nothing like a traditional "girl" book cover, and the font is masculine as well. The main character is also a little boy, so I think the book is more for boys.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Harris | 7 comments I wouldn't say I hated it because hate is such a strong word but I did not like it at all. I guess you can say Science Fiction isn't really my thing. It was hard to get into the novel because it wasn't interesting to me. I didn't know what was going on half of the time. I do see it being more appealing to boys because I think they have more interest in the violence/battle type stories, especially one's with made up worlds. I guess you can look at it by comparing our imaginations when we were children. When I was little I loved to have pretend play where I was the mommy or the baby in "house" or the princess or main character from a poplar girlie movie. However, my brother always wanted to play "bad guys vs. good guys" which involved some sort of shooting or fighting or he like to pretend he was some sort of wild creature. Based on this, he would definitely relate to Ender's Game way more that I would. I'm not saying that all boys will like it or that no girls won't like it but just that the book has more of a male appeal.

message 6: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 10 comments I actually enjoyed reading Ender's Game. I found myself sucked into the action, as well as the mind games Ender experienced throughout the book. The only thing that kind of bothered me about the book was how Ender was only 6 years old. Reading the conversations and experiences in the book, I would start to picture Ender as an older child. I kept having to remind myself that this boy having so many harsh experiences was only the age of a first grader. I think this book would work best for high school students and maybe 8th graders. While I think this book holds more widespread appeal for boys, I wouldn't exclude girls from liking this book. There are plenty of girls who like action stories and who enjoy a break from all that pink, frilly stuff. =]