Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > What are your weekday mornings like?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What are your weekday mornings like?

Normally I'm up at four, drinking coffee by 4:10, and at the gym with the botoxed grandmothers and soccer moms by five. I leave by six, drive home, get ready, and try to get out of the house by seven. If something weird happens (like today, my back hurts a little) I sleep later and skip the gym. If I'm home when the kids are leaving for school I try to get them ready way ahead of time because I hate frantically rushing around looking for that one shoe they left in the closet or whatever. I very much prefer getting up early and having calm mornings to sleeping later and rushing around. You?

message 2: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Oct 04, 2010 12:28PM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Up at 5:00 a.m. - usually too tired to find my ass with both hands and a flashlight - hop in the shower, come downstairs and turn on the local news to see how many murders occurred since the previous night's 11:00 newscast, sit on the couch drinking coffee and mentally cursing Jonesy, who got hurt at the Rouge Plant in 1981 while installing windshields in Mustangs (just five short years out of high school) and retired to an orbit of punk bars, dope dens, and workman’s comp benefits. He's never looked back. The bastard. Out the door by 6:10.

Working out? Can't grasp the concept.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I usually get up around 6:30 head for the shower, then dress, go down for breakfast, usually with my wife sometimes my son is still there too, pack my lunch, head out the door around 7:00, drive my wife to work(she works about a mile from me)and arrive at work around 7:30. Except for Friday morning when we usually stop for coffee and something for breakfast on the way to work, that usually depends on what we are in the mood for. We have a group of 8-10 different places that we rotate through.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I shower and pack my lunch the night before, so I can sleep to the last minute possible. I try to get up at 7:30, but usually, it's more like 7:45. I will listen to NPR while lying there trying to convince myself I should get out of bed, really...

I get up and quickly and purposefully (not rushing around)
- wash my face,
- have Ovaltine and a Flintstone vitamin,
- brush my teeth (must come AFTER the Ovaltine, very important!)
- get dressed (after brushing teeth, in case of dripping toothpaste)
- put my lunch box in my backpack,
- grab my purse
- and am out the door by 8:19 to be at the bus stop by 8:30.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 04, 2010 06:00PM) (new)

I am up at 6:15am
- Quick shower
- find something to put on that doesn't need ironing
- have breakfast with my daughter
- make our lunches
- brush teeth
- blow dry hair
- in the car at 7.15am to take myself and my daughter to the train station.
- a leisurely 53 minute train trip to work (I could catch a faster train but I enjoy the luxury of time-to-myself/reading-time the slow train allows me.
- in the office by 8.35am, ready for my morning cup of tea.

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) Coffee, newspaper, gym, (non-botoxed grandmother) yard work, housework, I sense a lead article for next month's issue of "Who Cares" magazine.

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments You could tell them you're preventing cancer through fellatio. That might spark a conversation with mom.

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) Merciful jaybird, Phil, that's overdoing it a bit.

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Platypuses (platypodes?) are not known for subtlety.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori I get up these days at 6, so I can nurse my coffee before I have to make Jake's lunch. I sit at the computer and read up on news, here, and maybe CraigsList. Oh and email. This cycle is repeated for an outrageous amount of time. Just reading, no posting. I think these days it takes me at least 2 hours to start moving. Much more if I then start posting.

Pathetic!

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Platupi?

I'm up about 4:15 these days, lay there and listen for sweet babe for a while, she's up about quarter to five. I brush my hair, brush my teeth, and put on a robe before I go start the coffee and the oatmeal.
Then I'll make Leah's bottle, change and feed her, then get her settled in her swing/chair/rocker.
I'll read a few pages of the paper while drinking at least a cup of coffee and eating my oats before I go get dressed, wake up Sweeter, and head out the door before 6:38.

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Sally wrote: "Platupi?"

I think using that form would be incorrect because the root of the word platypus is Greek, not Latin. That's why I chose "platypodes" instead.

Perhaps I should just treat it like the word sheep, and simply use platypus as both singular and plural.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24362 comments Mod
I get up at 4:30, saddle my mare Betty and ride around the paddock for 4 minutes. Then give her a scrub, clean out the stables, work out on the elliptical for 2 minutes, shower, make breakfast (sausage, from scratch; bacon; pancakes; waffles; French toast; scrapple; fresh fruit; lentils; Frosted Flakes; toast; biscuits; blueberry muffins). At my computer by 4:47, check emails, answer emails, do computer-related stuff, scratch my ear. Work out on stairmaster for 4 minutes, shower, fashion my hairdo - that takes about 1.5 hours. Get in car, drive to train station (45 minutes), park, take train to office (2 hours), preside over staff meeting, fire some people, have my assistant Denzelina go to Starbucks and get me three lattes and a Frappucino and however many maple nut scones they have left. Look at my watch, it's already 10 a.m., where did the morning go?

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Holy crap, LG.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Heck you fit a lot into 17 minutes. Are you related to superwoman by any chance?

message 16: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Never heard of her.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't know what you're quoting from, LG, but I call shenanigans. If you get up at 4:30, the step before "saddle my mare" is "discover that my mare has spent the entire night rolling and is filthy from head to toe. Attempt to curry. When that doesn't work, resort to sandblaster." and there ain't no way you'd be at the computer by 4:47.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm adding this to the file wherein RA finds out when the house will be empty so he can rob it. RA, even when I'm gone there are other people in the house, and Bo eats burglars.

I get up at 7 or 7:30 depending on if I'm going to go to the gym or write (7) or sleep a little more (7:30). Stagger down 3 flights, let Bo out. Feed him breakfast. Eat breakfast if not going to the gym. Pack lunch (and breakfast if going to the gym). Go back upstairs. Start the bath if not going to the gym. Get dressed/wish I had set out clothes the night before.
If working out, gym by 7:30, in the shower by 8:30.

message 19: by bugcoil (last edited Oct 06, 2010 09:45PM) (new)

bugcoil I have to drag myself out of bed ><. I don't know how people wake up at 4 in the morning...

Wake up earlier before my alarm goes off- either because of my cat, parents, or I'm just not sleepy anymore.
Alarm at 8:00. Alarm immediately snoozes (I have the clock in a different room; my dad snoozes it). I get out of bed. I brush my teeth-- halfway, the alarm is up again at 8:01. I brush my hair and wash my face.
I go downstairs for yogurt and bring it upstairs while I change into something I picked out nights before. 8:28.
Then, I lay in bed for about 20 minutes listening to music or reading.
8:48. I argue with my dad to drive to school later.
8:53. I drive to school, which takes approximately 6 1/2 minutes, 5 if my dad rushes.

message 20: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) My alarm starts blaring around 530am. Though my clock is perpetually 10 minutes fast, because I can't be counted on to get out bed on time. I hit snooze repeatedly. The number of times I hit depends.

I roll out (usually) no later than 600am, stumble to coffee maker, retrieve any leftover coffee from yesterday, nuke it, and make fresh for hubs. I take the dog out right away, plop in front of computer to do email/GR/FB, watch local news then CNN.

First kid leaves for bus stop at 620, second at 650. I shower/get ready at 650/700 (if I have to work), grab last cup of coffee (number depends on day- usually correlates to how many times I hit snooze), third kid to bus stop at 740, then I'm off to work or back home if day off.

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm adding this to the file wherein RA finds out when the house will be empty so he can rob it. RA, even when I'm gone there are other people in the house, and Bo eats burglars.

fills pockets with dog treats

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Dammit! Did you get that from the "RA Wants to Know: How Does One Bypass Your Security System and/or Guard Dog When Breaking Into Visiting Your House?" thread?

message 23: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 39 comments I get up about half 7-7:45 if I'm being lazy and have a shower, wash my hair every morning, brush teeth, put lens in-ooh I can see! and shove the iPod on shuffle while I'm getting dressed and hairdryering. Find bag, keys, mobile, purse and id. Cross road to wait for the elusive bus and usually in work by half 8ish.

message 24: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Rushed, always late and tired.

message 25: by Harry (new)

Harry  (harry_harry) | 226 comments This morning:

I should be up by 7 in order to be only reasonably late to work, but instead I sleep until 7:35. So, I wake up in a panic and yell, "SHIT!" My wife informs me that the cleaning people are coming today. "SHIT!" Because of course I need to clean before the cleaning people get there. I happen to check my cell phone and realize I just missed a call from my boss. "SHIT!" As I am going to call him back I notice several emails about some job from yesterday that was screwed up. "SHIT!" Home phone rings....and of course it's work. Employee (pretty important to my daily function employee) calling out sick! "SHIT!" It's my day to drive the youngest kid to day care and I realize she's still in bed too! "SHIT!!"

Who am I kidding...this is basically the routine every weekday.

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Boy you certainly have a lot of "SHIT" in the morning!

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i wake up around 7, leave the house by like 7:08, ride motorcycle to work, get coffee and then jack with you dorks most of the day

message 28: by Meels (new)

message 29: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Amelia wrote: "This was my morning...

http://www.kgw.com/news/Man-drives-on..."

PORTALND – A Medford man was arrested

Apparently the typist was drunk too.

message 30: by Meels (last edited Oct 14, 2010 08:00AM) (new)

Meels (amelia) You know, it's funny, but my fingers often get tied up typing "Portland". It usually ends up "Porltand" for me and then I have to fix it. I was born and raised here and normally type about 70-80 wpm. I think it's just one of those words that don't roll off the fingers...

message 31: by janine (last edited Oct 17, 2010 03:37AM) (new)

janine | 7715 comments now is the time i'm going to make you all jealous.

between 1 and 3 am: finish working on thesis and go to bed, do some reading before falling asleep. wake up when the alarm goes off (8 or 9, if i've set the alarm) in which case i'll snooze it for an hour (it can't handle more than an hour of snoozing). by then it's 9 or 10, the time i would wake up if i hadn't set the alarm. i'll do some reading if it's before 10. when i get tired of lying on my side i'll get up. that'll be a half hour or an hour later. turn on music. breakfast time, also more reading. after i'm done with my breakfast i'm not done reading yet so there goes another 30 minutes. it's almost 11, time to do something. i'll shower if i haven't showered the evening before, go wash my face, moisturize, brush my teeth and try to find some clothes when i'm in the mood for getting dressed in the morning. now i'll start being productive, i might do yesterday's dishes, or start working on my thesis. i might also turn on the computer and waste some more time.

some days i miraculously wake up before 9, which means more time for reading.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

The time will come when your nose will be to the grindstone just like the rest of us Janine. My alarm is set for 6.15am.

::pout::

message 33: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i know, i'm trying to enjoy my freedom while it lasts.

message 34: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Pffffft, I get up at 5am to commute 25 miles for a 6:30 am start. Stupid stock market working on eastern time blah blah blah.

The upside is I get off at 3:30 pm, while the rest of the world (for the most part) is still grinding away, or slacking as the case may be.