Young Liberals discussion

Debates and Topics > God and Religion

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Judging from you rules, I'm getting the athiest vibe from you. :) That or agnostic.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

*Shrugs* There's some difference.

What convinces you she's still agnostic?

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 04, 2010 12:14PM) (new)

I'm not sure I understand that. . . ^-^

When I was younger I seem to change my mind everyday. Agnostic or atheist. I started questioning it when I was about 10, when I realized that just because adults told me to believe it, didn't mean I had to.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah! Now I get it! I guess the way you put it before confused me. . .

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 04, 2010 01:37PM) (new)

It's ok.

message 6: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 121 comments Yeah, I'm an agnostic because God can neither be proven nor disproven....

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

No religion can be proven or disproven though.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Eh. I know. I was just kinda throwing it out there.

message 9: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 121 comments ♥♥Sydney! wrote: "No religion can be proven or disproven though."

Exactly. People either believe in religion because they were raised that way and they don't bother to question it, or because it's a nice thing to believe in (in their opinion. I think my emotional well-being is better off without religion, especially an ethical monotheistic religion....)

message 10: by Nathan (new)

Nathan you can say that some of the passages when taken literal are a little sexist but not the religion today

What about Catholicism? No female priests?

message 11: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Aren't nuns on the same level as priests?

Negative.

message 12: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 121 comments Harvest Goddess wrote: "Agnostic all the way. And is it just me, or is the bible mostly sexist.

It was all Eve's fault...

If your a woman, and get raped, marry the rapist...

It kind of makes no sense, and this religion..."

Well, yes, this religion has sexist laws; however, the religion itself is not sexist. Any Christian will tell you that's not the point :P

message 13: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 121 comments The ones like the aforementioned "If your a woman, and get raped, marry the rapist..."

message 14: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 121 comments It is in the Bible because it is in the culture, yes. However, it is still in the Bible, meaning the religion has sexist laws, even if they are no longer followed :P

message 15: by Claere (new)

Claere (omenonwings) | 6 comments How should I begin?

I believe there's a God. But apparently the God I believe in is different from the God everyone else believes in. The God everyone else believes in, is totally human centered. The God I believe in is nature centered. I don't believe humans have the right to "rule" over nature.

message 16: by ♥ Rachel♥ (last edited Oct 26, 2010 07:15PM) (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 121 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "No Rachel...that is what you HOPE it means. There are things in our "belief system" that do not have their origins in the Bible. Not to mention AGAIN think about when it was written, what influence..."

I don't 'hope' it means anything; I'd rather it wasn't there.
And, it's Deuteronomy 22:28-9 in...every version I've ever come across. And, it's a law.

message 17: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 121 comments Where did you see that the daughter could refuse? (Although, you're right, the father could. My apologies - see, I'm agreeing to it, even though it goes against your view of my beliefs! ♥ And this was in the Torah, yes...Exodus...what is a Jewish Study Bible??? o.o)

message 18: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 121 comments Oh. OK, I thought I never heard of there being 3 different versions of Torahs....>.<
And, OK? Soo...are we dropping this or are you going to look for the daughter's right to refuse in a different source or what? *I'm confuzzled :P*

message 19: by ♥ Rachel♥ (last edited Oct 26, 2010 08:11PM) (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 121 comments No, there's only the Jewish and the Samaritan versions. I mean, making a copy of a Torah is a highly respected job that one is (excessively, in my opinion) trained for before being allowed anywhere near a scroll with a quill :P Making the slightest mistake is blasphemy...it's considered an art.
And, where is this? Show me....But OK lol xD Be proud!

message 20: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 121 comments :P I'd more consider that the people bending the rules versus the religion allowing for the daughter to refuse, then :P
And, for knowing what???

message 21: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 121 comments xD That's Google '-_-

message 22: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 121 comments What about it??? :P

message 23: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 121 comments Haha OK well...I don't really know much about it at all except that it began in China >.<

message 24: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Two seconds in he says "My invisible friend blesses you." Obviously he is kidding.

message 25: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 121 comments As well as his little prayer at the end. And the 5 4 'corners of the earth'.

*Mrs. Brightside* "...Don't fucking do it."
That was funny(;

♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "As well as his little prayer at the end. And the 5 4 'corners of the earth'."

And he took a long time counting.

Nathan wrote: "Two seconds in he says "My invisible friend blesses you." Obviously he is kidding."

Haha, he said imaginary.

message 27: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 121 comments He just had a really long pause between the 3 and the 4 to impress upon the audience that his shape around the continents was a pentagon :P xD

message 28: by Anna (new)

Anna Banana | 14 comments Well, I do personally believe in some sort of God, though not the one the Bible preaches about. He's a cruel dude in the sky who wants everyone to fear him, or they'll go to a flaming pit of despair. Oh, and I have absolutely no proof that God exists, and I know it's completely ridiculous. But... Just as it's hard to believe something you don't believe, it's also hard to not believe something you do believe.

Anyway, I don't mind any kind of religion or non-religion, so long as they don't try to convert me. I can't stand those people who tell atheists that they're going to hell. On the other hand I can't stand atheists who tell religious people that they're a bunch of ridiculous assholes. It's peoples own choice what they believe in, and unless they show it in your face it's no one else business.

message 29: by Kataury (new)

Kataury Well, I'm LDS, so I already have my own principles and beliefs in this matter.