The History Book Club discussion

TECHNOLOGY/PRINT/MEDIA > THE KINDLE

Comments Showing 1-50 of 139 (139 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Jul 28, 2013 07:37AM) (new)

Bentley | 44207 comments Mod
Since I am a proud owner of the Kindle DX, please feel free to discuss any and all aspects of this device and I will be happy to respond. I also have owned the previous generations of Kindle as well.

Also, those of you who do own a Kindle, please feel free to jump in. Everything related to the Kindle can be discussed here.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Flanagan (loboz) What can I say I love my Kindle.

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I personally love mine in the sunshine and on the plane.

Love my iPad in the evening and with artificial light.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Flanagan (loboz) Was wondering if anyone out there has got a Kindle 3 and if so howdo they compare to the Kindle 2. Is it worth an upgrade

message 5: by Garret (last edited Oct 11, 2010 05:52PM) (new)

Garret (ggannuch) I own the new kindle. I upgraded from the Kindle 1. It is a major improvement over the first generation, but I don't have any personal experience with the Kindle 2 for comparison. I really like the Kindle 3 though, at least so far. It is much lighter than my old one, the buttons are in better places and it is more user friendly. Easy to read outside in the sunlight, which is why I did not purchase the Nook or I Pad for reading.

I still prefer books, but the convenience of ebooks is great. And I really like having less stuff hanging around taking up space.

message 6: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I have the Kindle DX and is vastly better than my ipad during the daylight or at the beach. It is also tremendously better for formatting the books correctly especially tables etc. Also vastly better for highlights etc.

However, in dim light or inside or at night...the ipad is super. I did not like the Nook better than either of my favorite two gadgets.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Flanagan (loboz) I think it is time I look into getting an Ipad to supplement my Kindle :)

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I thought it was a great idea. And I love both frankly. The ipad allows you to use the amazon app, the nook app, the itunes app, the goodreader app, pretty much anything runs on the Ipad. Just doesn't do flash.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasonct) | 53 comments Well this week (hopefully tomorrow) I'll be the proud new owner of a new Kidle WiFi.

I've been wanting an ereader for a while and have considered them all (Sony, Nook, KoBo, etc.) and it just seems that for the reading I do that the Kindle is a nice fit.

I'm so pleased to see how happy everyone is with theirs.

message 10: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

It is a great fit...and very handy too. It really was built for reading and it shows.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Flanagan (loboz) Just got great news I’ve received permission to take my Kindle into my work place on Night Shift

message 12: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Wow great...that is good.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Flanagan (loboz) Sure is had to do a 2 page proposal to convince them it doesn’t constitute a security risk. Well worth the effort :)

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasonct) | 53 comments Well I can now say that I am a member of the Kindle owners!

Just picked up my Kindle 3 WiFi this morning and I'm in love with it. I see reading time increasing ;)

message 15: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

And we are glad to have you join us.

message 16: by Bryan (last edited Oct 22, 2010 06:52AM) (new)

Bryan Craig Amen. I saw the new version yesterday and print seems more clearer, sharper than my K2. Nice.

message 17: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Yes, I noticed that with envy too...but I am waiting for the DX to come out with the wifi; the only one that Kindle has not updated; probably because the DX was newer than the others.

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael Flanagan (loboz) Here's a win for us Kindle readers

http://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/Amazon-...

message 19: by Karol (last edited Oct 26, 2010 01:57AM) (new)

Karol I love my Kindle, and I've got the cheap-o $139 version. I enjoy the portability . . . also got a leather case with a retractable light and I enjoy that a lot. I can literally read anytime, anywhere!

Make sure you all browse the books for free on Amazon - also, there's a web site with free e-books: http://freekindlebooks.org/

message 20: by Harry (new)

Harry (harryj) | 81 comments It is a wonderful techical age we live in today, you can have any book you want at any time, a whole library that fits in the space of a single volume; however, a good friend of mine is closing his great book store of over thirty years and this technology is partly responsible. I loved to meander through his shop noticing books I would never have realized were out there or titles which I had heard of and considered in the past, but had temporarily forgotten about. Yes, technology is wonderful; however, there is a downside.

message 21: by Harry (new)

Harry (harryj) | 81 comments I guess there is an upside.......................if you want to burn a book all you have to do is ban it from the internet!

message 22: by Vincent (new)

Vincent (vpbrancato) | 1246 comments Hi Kindle lovers

How is it if you want to look at maps in a book while you are reading and go back to reading and back to the map etc etc

Thanks

message 23: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig I have not done it often and it is not ideal, but I have bookmarked the map page and went back and forth. You have to click the button a few times to do it, though.

message 24: by Vincent (new)

Vincent (vpbrancato) | 1246 comments Bryan wrote: "I have not done it often and it is not ideal, but I have bookmarked the map page and went back and forth. You have to click the button a few times to do it, though."

Thanks

So would you want to use the kindle to read a book like Smith's Grant - I refer to the maps often going thru the chapters - ??

I sort of have to buy one - I got one for my wife and she won't let me use it (she is always using it) so I need one to read the books so far bought - but am curious about books like the Grant book.

I am also hoping that after the holiday season the prices drop.

message 25: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig When it comes to a book heavy with maps, I prefer the print version. It is easier to look at and flip to.

However, I am reading An Army at Dawn The War in Africa, 1942-1943 by Rick Atkinson Rick Atkinson Rick Atkinson on my Kindle and that has military maps, and the maps are quite clear and functional. I bookmarked them so I can go back. The newer Kindle is even clearer than the Kindle 2, so I think the maps are quite readable.

You might want to test it out on your wife's Kindle or have her show you how to flip back and forth with a bookmark to really see how it goes for you.

Oh, don't forget to cite the Grant book:
Grant by Jean Edward Smith Jean Edward Smith Jean Edward Smith

message 26: by Mary (new)

Mary Kristine | 142 comments Harry wrote: "It is a wonderful techical age we live in today, you can have any book you want at any time, a whole library that fits in the space of a single volume; however, a good friend of mine is closing his..."

I am a strong advocate for Kindle when it comes to books over 400 pages, easier to read in bed and for travels. The down side is I love to see what others are reading, The Kindle limits my voyeurism.

message 27: by Bryan (last edited Dec 30, 2010 09:49AM) (new)

Bryan Craig Now some Kindle books can be lent out. Here are the details:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custome...

message 28: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Dec 30, 2010 10:32AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) The reads in this group have made me think Kindle for the first time. I like fiction in paper books. But non-fiction? I won't bring myself to write in the margins of books, and, since you can do that with the Kindle, I'm thinking I would really like that capability. Does the Kindle version on the Ipad have that too? How do they compare (Kindle/Ipad). Not sure I need another gadget, not sure I can convince my husband that I "deserve" one . . .

message 29: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "The reads in this group have made me think Kindle for the first time. I like fiction in paper books. But non-fiction? I won't bring myself to write in the margins of books, and, since you can do th..."

All of the Kindle Apps have the same capability (because you can transfer highlights from different apps to your current one).

I have a Kindle, and I love it.

Not sure about Kindle vs Ipad, but the reading apps are made by the same people, so I don't imagine that they are that different.

message 30: by Michael (last edited Dec 30, 2010 10:52AM) (new)

Michael Flanagan (loboz) The main difference with using the Kindle app on the Ipad is the screen is backlit which can cause eyestrain after prolonged reading. Another e-reader which I have become fond off is the Sony e-reader it allows you to make notes via a stylus pen and is a touch screen.

Both the Kindle and the Sony e-reader uses the E-ink technology which the ipad does not, this gives you the feel of actually reading a page from a book and not off a computer screen.

As for selling it to your husband I convinced my wife that it would save us money in the long run as the books are so much cheaper :) Of course you deserve one

message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael Flanagan (loboz) For those interested here is a link to how e-ink technology works http://www.eink.com/technology.html

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (anzlitlovers) Meagan wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "The reads in this group have made me think Kindle for the first time. I like fiction in paper books. But non-fiction? I won't bring myself to write in the margins of book..."

I have a Kindle while The Spouse has an iPad so I've used both and IMO the Kindle is much better for serious reading. It's smaller, rests more comfortably in the hand, is better for reading in bed and easier on the eyes. But as to taking notes - well it's true that you can with a Kindle (and the highlight feature is excellent) but the notes function is not ideal. The keyboard is small and awkward and I find it's only ok for very brief thoughts.

Of course, with eBooks and especially Kindle since you can only buy from Amazon, a lot depends on where you live. Here in Australia what you can buy for it is rather limited because of local copyright restrictions. If you're not in the US I suggest you browse around *first* to see if you can buy the kind of books you like before you part with your money.

message 33: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) There are also many options for free e-books on the internet-and Amazon often has deals for very cheap or free e-books as well.

message 34: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Dec 30, 2010 01:32PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) For me, though I am far from independently wealthy, free books isn't really the issue. If it were, there is the library. The idea of reading on the computer isn't attractive to me either. A book-sized hand held device seems the perfect solution. Michael, thanks for that link on e-ink technology. I couldn't understand what people were saying about not being backlit, and that makes it easier to understand.

(And I read a couple of these comments to my husband, who said "I don't care." Now that's an easy sell.)

message 35: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "For me, though I am far from independently wealthy, free books isn't really the issue. If it were, there is the library. The idea of reading on the computer isn't attractive to me either. A book-si..."

lol, it looks like your husband gave you the green light to get a kindle, Elizabeth. Prices are reasonable now.

message 36: by Vincent (new)

Vincent (vpbrancato) | 1246 comments Just a comment to be aware that up to five Kindles can share the books in one account.

So I HAVE to buy one to have access to the books my wife has bought on Kindle - I can't use hers as she is so possessive of it and "needs" it.

I haven't done it yet but will but I think the downside might be that if you give someone access to your account they may be able to buy "books" etc on your credit card. I will know soon - I will buy one when the price falls or in time for Wolf Hall - whichever comes first

Elizabeth (Alaska) I guess I'm the tightwad - I'm still not ready to spring for a Kindle. But instead of looking for reasons to buy, I've moved over the side of investigating if there are reasons I should not buy.

So . . . I'm not excited about reading on my computer, and there are quite a few articles that Bentley keeps pointing to that I would more likely actually read if they were viewable on a smaller device. Does this wi-fi connectivity mean that I actually have internet access with the Kindle, to any website, through my regular account?

message 38: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) Yes, it does. The Wi-Fi works with any website- just know that it is in black and white. (I update goodreads on my kindle sometimes :))

Elizabeth (Alaska) Thanks, Meagan. Chalk up another item for the "pro" column.

message 40: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) No problem at all. If you have any other questions, I can try to answer them as well :)

message 41: by Mckris10 (new)

Mckris10 | 20 comments I don't have a Kindle, but the wi-fi connection and access to other websites is one of the reasons that I'm seriously considering this e-reader. I'm hoping for my birthday (fingers crossed) that my husband will surprise me.

message 42: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

We hope he does too...I am sure you will love the Kindle.

message 43: by Vincent (new)

Vincent (vpbrancato) | 1246 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I guess I'm the tightwad - I'm still not ready to spring for a Kindle. But instead of looking for reasons to buy, I've moved over the side of investigating if there are reasons I should not buy.
..."

Reading on a Kindle is more like a book - it is not the computer screen experience at all.

It has the advantage over a book that you can set the font size too.

message 44: by Vincent (new)

Vincent (vpbrancato) | 1246 comments So just a comment that my Kindle crashed - it is being replaced - last month I met someone who was on their third Kindle (both hers and mine the latest generation) - which is why I am up to reading 8 books - four of the seven I was reading were on the kindle.

I was really surprsed to find someone's had failed - three times - but calling Amazon they seem familar wiht these problems - and very accomodating.

If the Nook is dong better these problems may hurt them.

Just an FYI for Kindle users - also the toll free Kindle number - if you do not have it is - 866-321-8851

message 45: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thank you Vince...my current Kindle is doing fine but I wanted the larger one and I am on my third one too; but my dog dumped a cup of coffee on one of them. Not good.

message 46: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig I am probably cursing myself, but I am still on my original. No issues and I had it for a couple of years.

message 47: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

You are a very careful person Bryan, one I left on a plane or something, another was the victim of my wonderful dog jumping into his chair right where coffee and the Kindle were, another actually did not work properly and had to be sent back - the screens kept moving forward and backwards by themselves (very annoying) and now my current one which is the large one which I love for outside reading. So if I count all of the above carefully, I am embarrassed to say that I am on my fourth one.

message 48: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig I admit it, I am careful with my stuff. You can't control it if the Kindle is defective or crashes. I'm glad Amazon is very good about replacing it, though.

Sorry you lost one and the dog killed the other. My dog sniffed mine once and left it alone. I think it was boring.

message 49: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Or it wasn't something to eat which would have piqued his interest. - Amazon will replace it once even if you have an accident or your dog does (smile). They replaced the defective one and also replaced the dog disaster (which I was very greatful that they did) - not sure if they do that any longer. The lost one was my nickel though.

message 50: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig Bentley wrote: "Or it wasn't something to eat which would have piqued his interest. - Amazon will replace it once even if you have an accident or your dog does (smile). They replaced the defective one and also re..."

I promise not to put any hamburger on my Kindle!

« previous 1 3