Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Question about the book signing/readings

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (booklove83) Hi all,
I don't post here a lot, but I am an avid lurker :-)

I have only ever been to book signings by little-known authors... I'm going to see Diana Gabaldon this coming week, and I have a few questions. 1) How early should I get there? 2) I am really poor right now, and don't have enough money to buy The Exile. It's literally a situation where if I buy the book, my family doesn't eat this week. Can I still go, and bring an older book to sign, or is that bad manners?

I'm SO excited for this!! Has anyone else seen her on this tour? How was it?

message 2: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I saw Nicholas Sparks in person. You'll want to get there early enough just in case there's a big turnout. Maybe an hour ahead, but that's a guess because I'm not sure if the turnout would be bigger or smaller for DG. When I saw Nicholas Sparks lots of people brought older copies of his books to have signed. I don't think it's bad manners at all.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments I would say you should get there HOURS ahead of time. Diana did a signing at my local bookstore and people were literally lined up 4 hours (or more) before she even showed up. I was a new mom and breastfeeding at the time, so I couldn't realistically wait in line 4 hours and then stay for another few hours at the event. I am still so sad I missed her :( I also don't think it's poor manners at all to take an older book. Have fun!!

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy (iris354) | 2 comments I went to Diana's book signing at Book Fest in DC. Many people brought copies of previously published books, so that shouldn't be a problem. Diana was terrific! She is funny and gracious, and seemed genuinely happy to be there despite the fierce heat.

message 5: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments I totally missed the book signing in DC. Her time slot was smack right at the same time as my friend's retiremnet ceremony (after 21 years in the Navy). So I decided to go to the later with the hope that I will get to see DG in the future. The retirement ceremony was once in a life time thing.

I think DG will be grateful anyway of whatever book you bring, as long as it's one of hers. I've never met her but she seems to be very nice to all of her fans (from her blog).

message 6: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Meaghan wrote: "Hi all,
I don't post here a lot, but I am an avid lurker :-)

I have only ever been to book signings by little-known authors... I'm going to see Diana Gabaldon this coming week, and I have a fe..."

I suggest calling the location that is hosting the event to be sure! The one at the AZ poison pen where Diana launched Exile did have some rules. $30 got you into the event but also included a signed copy of the book. You could also buy a $5 companion ticket but that would not include the book. Good luck! I hope you get to see her!

message 7: by Susan (last edited Oct 04, 2010 08:34PM) (new)

Susan (susansch27) | 2 comments First you should check with the bookstore that is having the signing & see when you can get in or line up. I saw her already & bought the book for "preferred seating" & only got there 30 min early. I was way in the back, all of the other "preferred" customers got there ahead of me! However, I lucked out as the organizer had some seats up front held for people who couldn't hear, etc. & no one asked for them so I went up there. But probably most places won't hold seats. A number of people brought old books for her to sign & it was no problem. I wished I had brought mine also. They did ask if anyone had the whole series for her to sign to go to the back of the line. Diana was really interesting & funny; it is definitely worth going. The good thing about going ahead of time is that you get to talk to other people who love the books! In the bookstore where I went, it appeared that the majority of the attendees had bought Exile from the bookstore to get priority seating. So find out ahead of time if this is the deal; if I had not bought the book ahead of time, I would have been way in the back. I would go no matter what; it was very enjoyable!