Genealogy discussion

They Came in Ships > What time periods or ports will you be researching?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz | 379 comments As we look ahead to reading this book, I'm looking through my database identifying the immigrant ancestors whose ships I have not yet located. The book will provide good background material but we will need to supplement with online references since many more ship lists are now available.

Chapter discussion topics will be added when I get a copy of the 3rd edition. (I had previously read the 2nd edition so I'm looking forward to seeing the additional information!)

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I really don't know yet.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) The early 1800's or thereabouts, possibly English ports, also I have an ancestor who came from New Zealand, so I may be interested in that port as well.

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz | 379 comments That will be interesting! Any ideas about which US Port your ancestor might have come through?

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) As far as New Zealand, no. and one came from Louisiana to Hawaii, so I don't know that one either. Any ideas?

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz (straea) | 25 comments Not surprisingly given the relative paucity of records, I've only identified a handful of the ships for my colonial North American immigrants, but I'm not overly hopeful about finding them. I voted for this book mostly because it's been so highly recommended to me by many people over the years and it would be nice to have a specific reason to read and discuss it. :-)

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz | 379 comments Liz wrote: "Not surprisingly given the relative paucity of records, I've only identified a handful of the ships for my colonial North American immigrants"

I've found only a couple from that time period as well. So, I'm tackling a few relatively recent immigrants to explore from my husband's family. His aunt has done some work but I'm not certain how much time she put toward finding ship lists. Maybe you can 'borrow' someone to use to apply the information. It's always more fun when you have someone that you are researching.