The History Book Club discussion

IMPORTANT ITEMS > OUR COMMUNITY - WE CAN USE YOUR HELP

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Oct 04, 2010 02:30PM) (new)

Bentley | 44207 comments Mod
The History Book Club really is a "community of folks who just love history". But like anything else, everyone has a genre where they like to go deep.

We have developed a lot of interest areas as requested or suggested. But we like to keep everything new, vibrant and up to date.

So if there is an interest area or folder where you see yourself as fitting and you would like to help out; we would like to have you do just that. This is a positive, respectful community of different ideas and interests.

You may ask what does an assisting moderator do??

They help with the maintenance of the group - suggesting new discussion topics for that area, adding links to helpful websites/books, answering questions, and making sure that the guidelines of the group are adhered to. They welcome new group members and they make sure that citations are done properly providing a helping hand. They are one of the go to persons for that interest area. They provide the camaraderie for their threads. Most importantly they spur on discussion of their favorite interest area and just make the group a better place with their input for their respective topics. You help develop the interest area which is your love in the first place. You can even branch out and moderate a book in your interest area if that is your inclination; we can make that happen too. Remember you only get out of a group what you put into it. It can be a lot of fun.

Let me know if you would like to help out and where.

Thanks,

Bentley

message 2: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Dec 23, 2016 09:21AM) (new)

Our group has gotten very large and we need folks to start helping out in their field of interest.

Let us know what that is and whether you are willing to help out as an admin in training first and growing into an assisting moderator role. You can also stay as strictly an admin or a World Host. We move slowly and the more the merrier.

Just post your interest here and we will take it from there.

You can also reach out to me - Bentley via PM.

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Folks we would like to hear from all of you - we are sure that each of you has a special area of interest and that would help us out tremendously.

message 4: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Dec 24, 2016 09:22PM) (new)

Betty we would love to have you involved starting as an admin in training - the Health-Science area sounds like it would be of interest to you and the other areas you could help out with too.

I will be contacting you next week. We need a lot of help. I know we just interacted via PM and I am delighted that you will be helping out.

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Folks we needs lot of help - you may be called on to help us.

So please post here your interest.

message 6: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (murainman) | 74 comments I just joined. I am here for the American Presidents, and also have an interest in the Holocaust. I only started reading for reelz a few years ago, so my services may be limited, but I'll help if I can!

message 7: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Great Jeff - I will reach out to you via PM first

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Katya that is fascinating. Where are you from?

Are you from Spain?

message 9: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Very good - maybe you would like to start out as a World Host for Spain and then work into an Admin. We love all things Spain here (smile).

message 10: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Well I will contact you and explain. I think it is best for you to start there and work your way up.

message 11: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Very well.

message 12: by Dimitri (new)

Dimitri | 600 comments Any help wanted for Belgium or WWI?

message 13: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Yes of course Dimitri

message 14: by Janis (last edited Jan 18, 2017 03:11PM) (new)

Janis Mills | 51 comments I can probably be of some help one way or another. I have a BA in history and was a history teacher. I also am a compulsive reader. Well versed in Holocaust, portions of Russian and English history and Colonial History of United States.

message 15: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thank you Janis

message 16: by Sam (last edited Apr 20, 2017 08:40AM) (new)

Sam | 8 comments I can help out with economic history, history of international relations and/or history of conflict and disaster and women's history. If that's needed.

message 17: by Michael (last edited Aug 30, 2017 03:59PM) (new)

Michael Kuras | 3 comments I can help out if needed with Civil War topics and War World 2 topics and also is there any topics about the Space Race?

message 18: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Nobles | 2 comments My specialty is food history. Food has affected politics and commerce from the beginning of time, and there's lots and lots of food history books out there (I own a big chunk of them). I'll be happy to get something going.

message 19: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thank you everyone - I should be at my home base finally next week and will reach out to you.

message 20: by Richard (last edited Feb 26, 2018 09:39AM) (new)

Richard Buro (rwburo1outlookcom) | 15 comments Hi, Bentley. I am an advocate for everythinng that can be found in the air or environs above the fray. I stay abreast of things in many parts of the areas involving exploration of space as well as developments in restoration of historic aircraft and the latest news in the fiields of aviation and space exploration both manned and unmanned. While this field is relatively new, it has legitimacy in its implications for serious research and study. I draw the line at things faanciful and sensational, unless there is a validated and scientifically researched and verified factual basis about potentially false or bogus information.

This area could include individuals whose impacts in history can and do affect others to this day. Just a thought abiut a niche that might be of interest for some of us.

Richard W. Buro
Aerospace advocate
Temple, TX USA

message 21: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

I thought I had some threads on aerospace - let me look - possibly in the exploration area but I am not sure if I have threads on historic aircraft per se - And of course we did discuss and read Lindbergh so we are interested.

Lindbergh by A. Scott Berg by A. Scott Berg (no photo)

If you would like to help us in that area that would be wonderful.

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbl) | 407 comments We also did a discussion of:
The Wright Brothers by David McCullough by David McCullough David McCullough

Very interesting!

message 23: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

True we did.

message 24: by Richard (new)

Richard Buro (rwburo1outlookcom) | 15 comments David McCullough is one of the premier biographers in my view. His research is impeccable. His eriting is so rloquent and engaging. I will read almost snything he writes simply because he that good at his craft!

message 25: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Well said

message 26: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Always folks we are looking for folks to help us out in many different capacities - let us know.

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbl) | 407 comments I am willing to help Bentley. Just not sure where the best place to fit might be so I haven't said much. Perhaps the country challenges or something like that.

message 28: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Thank you Michael - let me give you some suggestions but the challenges might be a big help.

message 29: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Taylor (jatta97) | 100 comments I will help with the Walden reading if there is something I can do.

message 30: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Ok Jeffrey - that would be great.

message 31: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 3 comments Dear Bentley,

I would be interested in moderating a subject related to Modern German History, Memory Culture in Germany, and The Holocaust. I hold a M.A. in History and have helped moderated History Discussions in German History at a university level.

Best,
Rebecca

message 32: by Lorna, Assisting Moderator (T) - SCOTUS - Civil Rights (new)

Lorna | 2159 comments Mod
Thank you, Rebecca. Bentley will be in touch with you when he returns.

Lorna,
Assisting Moderator (T) - Civil Rights and Supreme Court

message 33: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Hello Rebecca,

I will be in touch.

message 34: by Lorna, Assisting Moderator (T) - SCOTUS - Civil Rights (last edited Jun 24, 2022 11:47AM) (new)

Lorna | 2159 comments Mod
As a reminder to all of the members of The History Book Club, there is to be no self-promotion or advertising of your book or trying to solicit reviewers for one's book or links to one's website. Those posts will be immediately removed.

Thank you.

message 35: by Philip (new)

Philip | 10 comments Excellent read