dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments This is for the discussion of the:

Strange Angels Series
Strange Angels
Betrayals
Jealousy
Defiance

Strange Angels (Strange Angels, #1) by Lilith Saintcrow Betrayals (Strange Angels, #2) by Lilith Saintcrow Jealousy (Strange Angels, #3) by Lilith Saintcrow Defiance (Strange Angels, #4) by Lilith Saintcrow

Please note if you are including spoilers in your post. Thanks

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Oops. I posted my comment in the AOM thread, when this one would probably fit better! I just started Strange Angels this afternoon. So far I'm getting the same vibe from it that I get from the TV show Supernatural. I'm curious to see how that pans out.

message 3: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Now that you mention that Sarah these books do remind of the show and in a good way.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments **POSSIBLE MINOR SPOILERS**

Finally finished this morning. I quite like the book, but I do feel like it has a little first-book syndrome. I like the premise, which still to the end reminds me of what Supernatural would've been like if Dean had been a teenaged girl and Daddy died in season 1. I tried to imagine what life would be like for a young hunter, and this seems about true to form.

On the other hand, Dru and the book do have a few issues that I suspect will be ironed out in book two. Dru was a little too... silly isn't the right word, but it's the only one I'm coming up with right now. She makes stupid choices for someone trained in the life, and I dislike her tendency to refer to everyone as "kid," as if she is so much more worldly than they. The thing that Dean Winchester gets that Dru doesn't is that no matter how much you know, you don't know it all, and there's always someone who knows more. Not sure either why she feels compelled to refer to everyone by their ethnicity, unless that also is to establish her superior attitude.

I do suspect that what I read as minor character flaws were setups to unsettle her by the end, to show how much she doesn't know and encourage her to join the Order's schola. There wasn't as much plot progression as I was hoping for, but I'm thinking this book was just intended to set up the action and plot for book two.

I really did enjoy reading this because I think it has a lot going for it. I'm looking forward to Betrayals.

message 5: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I figured Dru's studip moves were due to shock and then no having anyone to lean on. With what happened to her dad, she lost her whole world.