The Filipino Group discussion

Books, Books, Books > National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tina (last edited Oct 03, 2010 05:34AM) (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Hi everyone! :)

It's October, and for me, this month has meant one thing since 2004: it's time to prepare for National Novel Writing Month. :)

I've talked to some people about this, but to those unfamiliar, here's NaNoWriMo in a nutshell:

(From here)

What: Writing one 50,000-word novel from scratch in a month's time.

Who: You! We can't do this unless we have some other people trying it as well. Let's write laughably awful yet lengthy prose together.

Why: The reasons are endless! To actively participate in one of our era's most enchanting art forms! To write without having to obsess over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from our novels at parties. To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work.

When: You can sign up anytime to add your name to the roster and browse the forums. Writing begins November 1. To be added to the official list of winners, you must reach the 50,000-word mark by November 30 at midnight. Once your novel has been verified by our web-based team of robotic word counters, the partying begins.

Where: You write wherever you’d like. On your computer, on your iPad, on a typewriter---anywhere is fine, just as long as you’re writing!

More information can be found on the official NaNoWriMo website.

I'm one of the municipal liaison for the Filipino NaNoWriMo group, and it's a very fun and supportive community of novelists -- one of the most inspiring group of writers I know. :) We have a very friendly regional forum, and we have an chat room set up for the month of November. We have fun activities throughout the month (hosted and organized by yours truly with other volunteers), and yes, we most definitely talk about books there, too.

If you're curious about what we come up with every year, we offer a little preview: the PinoyWrimo 2008 Anthology! It contains a collection of excerpts of our NaNoWriMo novels back in 2008. :)

So has anyone else joined NaNoWriMo in this group before? Or are you interested in joining NaNoWriMo this year? (Come on, you know you want to. :p)

message 2: by Maryse (new)

Maryse (belle_maryse) | 151 comments I've always wanted try Nanowrimo but I never have time. Also I don't think I have he stamina to write a novel. Too gruelling especially I edit heavily. Sayang though since I heard that they publish.your.finished work and send you a copy

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Maryse wrote: "I've always wanted try Nanowrimo but I never have time. Also I don't think I have he stamina to write a novel. Too gruelling especially I edit heavily. Sayang though since I heard that they publish..."

You can always try? :) Hehe I started out in NaNoWriMo in 2004 and failed at 33k because I edited, then the next year, I learned not to edit and won since then. :D

And yes, they give you a free proof copy of your book for free, so it feels like you have an actual book. :D

message 4: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments aargh...why does it have to be in November. This has always been a busy month for me. birthday month eh.

message 5: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) | 3321 comments Ranee wrote: "aargh...why does it have to be in November. This has always been a busy month for me. birthday month eh."

Ay ayan na ang inuman... (--,)

message 6: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 2098 comments i tried last year the NaNoWriMo, but failed to reach the 50K.. got only 12K of words..LOL

message 7: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments ayun eh Jzhun! sali ka, sasali din ako. hahahaha

message 8: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) | 3321 comments Ranee wrote: "299871 ayun eh Jzhun! sali ka, sasali din ako. hahahaha"

Sorry, I'm referring to your birthday. That the inuman thing engenders.

message 9: by KaiPea (last edited Oct 05, 2010 05:39AM) (new)

KaiPea | 74 comments Sounds fun but college life is no respite life... :(

message 10: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Ranee: Haha you know what I'll say to that! Sali lang kahit di ka sure na abot ka sa 50k. :D Nothing to lose (except sleep. And time. haha)

Rollie: Care to try again this year? :)

KaiPea: If it's any comfort, I first joined NaNoWriMo when I was a junior in college. Failed int he first year, won the second year. :) Most of the participants are students, too! You'll have lots of support. :D

message 11: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 2098 comments yep tina and i'll try to win this time..LOL

message 12: by KaiPea (new)

KaiPea | 74 comments @Tina: Well, I guess it just all about time management. O: so cool that you have won...Maybe I'll try it... Thanks Tina :)

@Rollie: Goodluckz! :D

message 13: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 2098 comments @kaipea: thanks.. you should really try it.. :))
i'm also a graduating college student.. I manage my time between thesis making and writing my work for nanowrimo..

message 14: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments Tina, i had an idea of making a fictional mystery/thriller story revolving around the Alabat trip. characters will be loosely based on the people in the van. It sort of popped out while I was taking a shower. i just needed to develop the characters, trying to fit who's persona was to be the killer and who will be the hero. i was into it for the whole 10 minutes then had to drop the thought, it was scary to think about it when it felt too realistic because the logical thing to do was kill the medical person first that meant, i have to die first in the island.

message 15: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments hahaha, i thought of that too, but it will be too obvious, i don't want policemen to be saying, it looks too professional, that killer knew where to aim the knife/hit the victim/knew which drug to use etc. but then again, being dead on the first chapter is a good alibi for the murderer. more hahaha

message 16: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments of course twists are essential part of the story. there'd be lots of it. I'd wait till after the Alabat trip to reformulate. it would be too scary to cook up any thoughts before the trip. sayang, jzhun was a good character but he can't make it.

i posted an unfinished story in my profile, you may want to check it out.

message 17: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Ranee! I like that! Haha I used to write stories based on the people on my life, but this year I think I'll stop. Too close for comfort minsan, ayoko na sila saktan. :P

Why not make a character based on Jzhun pos sya yung killer pala? Hindi naman sya nakasama, so walang magsususpect sa kanya. :P (Sorry Jzhun! :D)

message 18: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments Tina, it sort of popped out of my head, parang, oh wow, what a coincidence, may out of town trip then paranoia creeped in, took charge and whoa, it is a story. the plot is simple, the characters, do-able etc. i was thinking of making KD as the master killer since it was his idea to bring everyone to Alabat, jzhun is the supposed accomplice. cool huh, our moderators are actually deranged people who have set up TFG as a victim's pool.

message 19: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments Emir wrote: "Ranee, be discreet about it or we'd back out of the trip! :D"

ooops, so sorry. since i like TFG so much, i'll shut my lips. hehehe

message 20: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) | 3321 comments Ranee wrote: "cool huh, our moderators are actually deranged people who have set up TFG as a victim's pool."

This really cheered me up! Ahahaha! :D

message 21: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments kaya lang jzhun, you're not in the trip anymore, *hikbi
it's not the same, maybe I'll just reinvent the story and make it a drama. someone has to be emo...who could it be?

message 22: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) | 3321 comments @Ranee: You can still find the suitable character from the lot who'll come to Alabat. I bet you will.

message 23: by Hannah Shane (new)

Hannah Shane De Leon | 7 comments waw...sali ako (i think) :)

message 24: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments Chiari wrote: "waw...sali ako (i think) :)"

sa alabaat island? hehe.
Go forth and write! hope to read your work!

Jzhun- the plot was a eureka moment, then it saddens me that you won't be there. haay. oh well,you will surely be missed. just thinking about it creates a void within. well, we still have the christmas party to look forward to, hope to see you there!

message 25: by Hannah Shane (new)

Hannah Shane De Leon | 7 comments erm...I meant the NaNoWriMo thingie...hahaha I dont even know where alabat is lol

message 26: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 2098 comments do they really publish a finished work, and send you a copy as a prize of winning? I believe it is just available for those who're in one of their program like the YWProgram.. :D sana mali ako.. haha

message 27: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments rollie wrote: "do they really publish a finished work, and send you a copy as a prize of winning? I believe it is just available for those who're in one of their program like the YWProgram.. :D sana mali ako.. haha"

They send you a free proof of your work care of CreateSpace. It's the self-publishing arm of Amazon. so if you're done with your manuscript, even if it's not yet edited, you can format it and send it to them, then they send you a printed book for free. :D You don't have to edit it, really, and it's nice to have a printed copy of your novel.

Oh, but you only get the free proof if you reach 50,000 words by November 30 :)

message 28: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 2098 comments Tina wrote:hey send you a free proof of your work care of CreateSpace. It's the self-publishing arm of Amazon. so if you're done with your manuscript, even if it's not yet edited, you can format it and send it to them, then they send you a printed book for free. :D You don't have to edit it, really, and it's nice to have a printed copy of your novel.

Oh, but you only get the free proof if you reach 50,000 words by November 30 :)

wow.. that's really nice.. so excited to participate this time.. :DD

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for this post.=D

I am joining this year. My first time, and I hope to have that stroke of luck for first timers! =D

message 30: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Bebephase wrote: "Thanks for this post.=D

I am joining this year. My first time, and I hope to have that stroke of luck for first timers! =D"

Thanks for joining! Be sure to say hi at the regional lounge: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/263 :)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Tina wrote: "Bebephase wrote: "Thanks for this post.=D

I am joining this year. My first time, and I hope to have that stroke of luck for first timers! =D"

Thanks for joining! Be sure to say hi at the regional..."

I already did! =D I hope to meet the 50k..arrgh! hehehe

message 32: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 2098 comments Bebephase wrote: "Tina wrote: "Bebephase wrote: "Thanks for this post.=D

Thanks for joining! Be sure to say h..."

goodluck..

message 33: by Carr (new)

Carr (capocapo) | 284 comments I'm also joining. haha, pero tagalog isusulat ko.
Counted ba kapag nagsimula ka na ng first chapter this month?

message 34: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Will wrote: "I'm also joining. haha, pero tagalog isusulat ko.
Counted ba kapag nagsimula ka na ng first chapter this month?"

Well it's okay, but your word count for November will start with what you have written on November 1 onwards. So whatever you have today will not yet count in the 50k goal.

message 35: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 1902 comments Will wrote: "I'm also joining. haha, pero tagalog isusulat ko.
Counted ba kapag nagsimula ka na ng first chapter this month?"

pwedeng in Filipino?

message 36: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Ranee: Yes pwedeng pwede! :)

message 37: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Hi everyone!

If you're joining NaNoWriMo and you're free this weekend, we'll be having our Kick-Off party at Max's Restaurant at Robinson's Galleria, 3:00pm. :)

What to expect for the Kick-Off?

- Meet fellow Pinoywrimos
- Lots of talking. Based from experience, Pinoywrimos are VERY talkative. :P
- Talk about your plot
- Get ideas if you don't have a plot yet
- get any NaNoWriMo questions answered
- If you're a newbie with a mentor or a mentor with a newbie, this is the best time to meet each other face to face! After all, you will be cheering each other on for November. :)
- The brand new...Book Auction! This is the first time we'll be having this, so stay tuned for more details within the week!
- Survival Kits! (RSVP-ing will also help us determine how many kits to make, so please, please RSVP)
- And more! :)

There's no entrance/registration fee for the Kick-Off, but we will be having a Donation Station set up. The Donation Station is purely voluntary and will help cover the costs of the events of the region for November. This is also where we can help you get halos on your profiles for those who are interested to donate to the NaNoWriMo as a whole. :)

We'll be having a book auction if you have some books you want to get rid of, we welcome book donations! :) This will help fund Pinoywrimo activities for November 2010. :)

If you're joining the entire kick-off RSVP here: http://bit.ly/cXQjUk

If you're just dropping by, you don't have to RSVP, but do let me know! :) PM me so we can contact each other. :)

message 38: by Iyah (new)

Iyah (missgoodreads) | 188 comments do they actually print your novel then send it to you?

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 122 comments I participated since 2009. I won 2010, clocking in 56k words by the end date. :)

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 122 comments Iyah wrote: "do they actually print your novel then send it to you?"

I know that they have a program/project/service doing just that but I'm not sure if it's international.

message 41: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 2098 comments Cate wrote: "Iyah wrote: "do they actually print your novel then send it to you?"

I know that they have a program/project/service doing just that but I'm not sure if it's international."

Yes they do. When I won mine, I didn't mind my work to be printed out. I hope I can join this year again but with my busy sched, maybe I can't.

message 42: by twstrfries (last edited Aug 07, 2011 08:07AM) (new)

twstrfries | 231 comments I want to join this but I don't think I can finish a 50K-word novel in a month's time. Busy masyado sa work :(

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 122 comments I would want mine to be printed but I haven't finished it yet. And come November, I'll definitely join again.

message 44: by anarki (new)

anarki (deadeyes133) | 380 comments hey

message 45: by anarki (new)

anarki (deadeyes133) | 380 comments Is this every november?

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 122 comments I'm signing up for this year too. :)

Yep. November.

message 47: by anarki (new)

anarki (deadeyes133) | 380 comments Cate wrote: "I'm signing up for this year too. :)

Yep. November."

that's cool :)
But i'm from cebu?
is it okay?

message 48: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 2098 comments Nicolo: I joined in last year, yet I was still in Tacloban. Yes you can join!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 122 comments Is it okay to what?

International naman siya. I started joining some years ago nung nasa Manila pa lang ako.

message 50: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2665 comments Hi guys! Just bringing this thread back to life again! :D NaNoWriMo 2011 is just 3 days away!

Plugging the following:
http://pinoywrimos.com - official website is up for real!

http://facebook.com/pinoywrimos - we're on Facebook!
http://twitter.com/pinoywrimos - and on Twitter, too!

Drop by at the regional lounge if you decide to join us this year :)
http://lounge.pinoywrimos.com

Also, I think there are a lot of Goodreads TFG members who are joining this year? If you guys are game, we can have a Goodreads write-in. :D Just as long as we'll actually write and not just talk about books. And when we have reached our word count goals, THEN we can reward ourselves with new books! =D

« previous 1