CanLit Challenge discussion

CanLit Challenge 1867-1913 > Wild Animals I Have Known by Ernest Thompson Seton, #40

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
Wild Animals I Have Known I'm just starting this one (currently reading about Lobo and his wolf pack). I hope it's more happy and inspiring than pathetic and depressing. Apparently it was extremely popular worldwide in its day...

Ernest Thompson Seton

message 2: by Pooker (new)

Pooker | 13 comments Whoa! Wait for me. I bought this one to read with you. I read it a long time ago and discovered when I read Alissa York's new novel Fauna (wherein York's characters read various animal books, including this one, The Jungle Book, and others, aloud to each other) that I really did not remember much about it. I must have read it as a child. So I'm curious what my adult mind will think of it and whether I'll remember what I thought of it as a kid. I'll start tonight!

message 3: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
Don't worry Pooker, I've only read a few pages in. I've still got a story and the afterword for Viger before I seriously dig in tonight or tomorrow.

message 4: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
I'm still working on this, but it's really tough going for me. I'm not so bad with the stories in which the animals suffer or meet a bad end due to "natural" causes (though I'm still sad), but I really have a problem with human cruelty and disrespect for other animals. Under other circumstances, I'd likely have stopped reading during the story of Lobo and abandoned the book, but since it's a CanLit Challenge book I decided I had to finish it. I've got two and a half stories left to go.

When I'm done, I'll post again and write more about the specific stories (with spoilers). I found your review with its discussion of your childhood memories very interesting. We'll have to have a discussion about anthropomorphism and Disney when I'm done.