One Million Pages Per Lifetime discussion

I - L > Kjerstin's 1,000,000 Pages

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kjerstin (last edited Nov 01, 2010 06:16PM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments I love the idea of trying to read 1,000,000 pages in my lifetime. Here's what I've read so far this year:

1. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling (870 pages)
2. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling (652 pages)
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling (759 pages)
4. Beowulf A New Verse Translation by Unknown (215 pages)
5. House Rules by Jodi Picoult (532 pages)
6. Worst Case by James Patterson (400 pages)
7. Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (464 pages)
8. Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (629 pages)
9. Black No More Being and Account of the Strange and Wonderful Working of Science in the Land of the Free, A.D. 1933-1940 (Northeastern Library of Black Literature) by George Samuel Schuyler (222 pages)
10. Fledgling by Octavia E. Butler (320 pages)
11. Their Eyes Were Watching God (P.S.) by Zora Neale Hurston (256 pages)
12. Absolute Brightness by James Lecesne (472 pages)
13. Daddy's Little Girl by Mary Higgins Clark (384 pages)
14. Serial by Jack Kilborn (65 pages)
15. The Last Drop by L. Ron Hubbard (166 pages)
16. The Chicago Way (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard) by Michael Harvey (320 pages)
17. Executive Privilege by Phillip Margolin (400 pages)

Total: 7,126

I found some more books (#'s 13-17) that I forgot that I read this year, and added them. So my numbers up until my full October report are going to be a little off. After that, everything should be right! :)

message 2: by Kjerstin (last edited Oct 16, 2010 07:22AM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments My ticker:

Haven't been reading much except for The Book of Margery Kempe (Norton Critical Editions) by Margery Kempe because I have to for class. :(

message 3: by Kjerstin (last edited Oct 16, 2010 07:26AM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments The Book of Margery Kempe (Norton Critical Editions) by Margery Kempe (181 pages)

This book is interesting because it was the first autobiography written in the English language! It was written by a woman! (Well, when Margery was alive, women could not read or write, so she had an amanuensis write it for her as she dictated it to him).

Still, impressive!

Once you get over the constant weeping and roaring on Margery's part, you can focus on her strength. She's got a lot of it, and I admire her greatly for that.

as of 10/6/10

total: 5,972 pages.

Getting there!

message 4: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments Morte Darthur (York Medieval Texts) by Thomas Malory (111 pages)

As of 10/13/10

total: 6,083

message 5: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments A Dialogue on Personal Identity and Immortality by John R. Perry (49 pages)

Short, I know. But its a real think piece. Had to read it for my Philosophy class.

As of 10/15/10

total: 6,132

message 6: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #1) by Rick Riordan (375 pages)

FINALLY finished this book. Yea! Definitely written for a younger audience, but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Can't wait to read the rest of the series!

As of 10/15/10

total: 6,507

As a side note, I love this group. I have been more motivated to read than ever!

message 7: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 38 comments Kjerstin wrote: "The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #1) by Rick Riordan (375 pages)

FINALLY finished this book. Yea! Definitely written for a younger audience, but I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Can't wait to read the res..."

The Percy Jackson series is absolutely AMAZING. I pretty much devoured all five books in about a week. Rick Riordan just release a new book called The Lost Hero which also takes place at camp half-blood and are related to the Percy Jackson series. I have not read it yet, and probably won't for a month or so, but I am quite excited for its release.

message 8: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments Awesome! I will definitely check it out :)

message 9: by Kjerstin (last edited Nov 02, 2010 02:15PM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments October:

18. The Book of Margery Kempe (Norton Critical Editions) by Margery Kempe (181 pages)
19. Morte Darthur (York Medieval Texts) by Thomas Malory (111 pages)
20. A Dialogue on Personal Identity and Immortality by John R. Perry (49 pages)
21. The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #1) by Rick Riordan (375 pages)
22. Feed by M.T. Anderson (300 pages)
23. Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult (434 pages)
24. A Midsummer Night's Dream  by William Shakespeare (128 pages)
25. The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan (279 pages)
26. The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan (312 pages)

October Total: 2,169
October Goal: 1,000 Pages

Yea! I made my page goal for October!

2010 Goal: 14,000 Pages

Lifetime Total: 9,295

message 10: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments I won my first ever giveaway!

I won the book Getting Results the Agile Way by J. D. Meier .

I feel like a little kid at Christmas :) Yea me!

message 11: by Bert (new)

Bert Edens (bedens) | 238 comments Congrats on the First Reads win! I have won several and never get tired of it. :) Make sure you have a bookshelf for First Reads wins so you can look back at those down the road.

And awesome job on the reading. Keep going!

message 12: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments Thanks Bert!

message 13: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments November Books

27. Wonder Woman Love and Murder by Jodi Picoult (128 pages) 11/16/10 Since I don't read very many comic books, I'm counting the pages for the ones that I do read as part of my 1,000,000 pages.
28. The Red Pyramid (Kane Chronicles, #1) by Rick Riordan (516 pages) 11/16/10 I had a lull in school work today, so I got some good reading time! :)
29. The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) by Rick Riordan (361 pages) 11/24/10 This was not my favorite of the series, but I still liked it!
30. Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard (286 pages) 11/25/10

November Page Goal: 2,500
November total: 1,291

2010 Page Goal: 14,000
2010 Total: 10,586

Lifetime Goal: 1,000,000
Lifetime Total: 10,586

message 14: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments I didn't quite make my goal for November :( Hopefully in December I can read more in order to reach my goal of 14,000 pages this year, though! Only 3,414 to go!

I think I can... I think I can... I think I can!

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) | 486 comments You can do it!

message 16: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments Heather wrote: "You can do it!"

Thanks for the encouragement, Heather!

message 17: by Kjerstin (last edited Dec 02, 2010 08:15PM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments Problem:

I just got a bunch of the Barnes and Noble Leather Bound Classics books for my birthday, which I am SUPER excited about. One of the books I got, though, was Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales by Jacob Grimm , and I'm having a hard time deciding how to count the page of the stories I read. For example, the first story is only 5 pages, and I don't want to count that as a book. But since the whole book is full of stories, I don't necessarily want to just read them in order like I would normally read a book.

I just don't know how to keep track on here. Any suggestions??

message 18: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments My Newest Goal for December 2010: Finish all the books on my "currently-reading" shelf.

I have a problem with starting too many books and not finishing them. I tend to finish the easiest or quickest reads, like the ones in the Percy Jackson series, and I have trouble finishing the slower ones even if I like them a lot! I have started The Poisonwood Bible twice and I LOVE the book, but I just have not finished it! I started reading House of Leaves in October and I'm still not even 100 pages into it. Nonetheless, I started reading two new books this week. What was I thinking?

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you motivate yourself to read the slower or harder books?

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) | 486 comments I have started like five books ( two library one borrowed one for school n ebook ) i also have thirteen other library books and three more books being borrowed lol. Ur not alone. I motivate myself by thinking how peaceful it seems outside (since theres snow) and how relaxing it would b to read

message 20: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments I also love reading when it's all cold and wintry outside. However, I live in Phoenix, and today's high was 80 degrees! haha I don't think we are getting a winter this year here... haha

I'm glad I'm not alone! I feel very overwhelmed sometimes by all the books I want to read!

message 21: by Shay (new)

Shay | 862 comments Kjerstin wrote: "My Newest Goal for December 2010: Finish all the books on my "currently-reading" shelf.

I have a problem with starting too many books and not finishing them. I tend to finish the easiest or quick..."

I have probably read about 5 cozy mysteries and am still not even halfway through The Lacuna. I have 7 books going now and will probably finish the cozy mysteries first. Some days, you're lucky to read anything or you just need a mental break so all you're going to read is fluff. That's fine, feel no guilt. But, what I usually do is make my self read 50 pages of good book, 50 pages of fluff, repeat, repeat, etc. So, I have managed to complete a few "good" books along with those 5 cozies, but still, I read mostly fluff.

message 22: by Kjerstin (last edited Dec 30, 2010 09:40PM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments December Reads 2010

31. The Truth about Forever by Sarah Dessen reread (374 pages) 12/1/10 I read this book about 5 years ago and absolutely loved it. Reading it again, I remember why it was so good. Macy is so relatable and complex. Most of the characters are, actually.
32. After the Fall by Judith Kelman (420 pages) 12/10/10 While this book was not one of the best psychological thrillers I've read, I liked Kelman's writing a lot. I am going to keep an eye on her from now on.
33. The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) by Rick Riordan (381 pages) 12/21/10 Some parts of this book were predictable, and I had to keep reminding myself that it was written for a younger audience. However, as a whole, I liked the book a lot, and I really enjoyed the whole series.
34. Meditations on First Philosophy With Selections from the Objections and Replies (Texts in the History of Philosophy) by René Descartes (62 pages) 12/28/10 I read this as part of my philosophy class and found it pretty boring. But if you like philosophy, you might like it?
35. Angels & Demons  by Dan Brown (710 pages) 12/30/10 I REALLY liked this book. A lot of people have commented on the lack of truth in the writing, but it's fiction... So that's how I read it. It was a really good read, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes thrillers!

December 2010 Page Goal: 3,414 - the remainder of my yearly goal
December 2010 Page Total: 1,947

2010 Page Goal: 14,000
2010 Page Total: 12,533

Lifetime Page Goal: 1,000,000 Pages
Lifetime Page Total: 14,683

message 23: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments Here is my list of books read prior to 2010 (I will be constantly adding more to this list as I find more books I have read):

1. A Christmas Carol (50 pages)
2. Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (40 pages)
3. The Hound of the Baskervilles (240 pages)
4. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (289 pages)
5. The Truth about Forever (374 pages)
6. Stargirl (188 pages)
7. Bean Trees (323 pages)
8. Ella Enchanted (240 pages)
9. Othello (160 pages)
10. The Things They Carried (246 pages)
1-10 Total: 2,150 pages
11. The Magician's Nephew (96 pages)
12. My Ántonia (225 pages)
13. A Walk to Remember (244 pages)
14. Holes (272 pages)
15. The Crucible (143 pages)
16. The Importance of Being Earnest (42 pages)
17. Beloved: (Great Books Edition) (257 pages)
18. The Metamorphosis (224 pages)
19. The Notebook (213 pages)
20. Tuesdays with Morrie (192 pages)
11-20 Total: 1,908
21. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (212 pages)
22. In Cold Blood: A True Account of a Multiple Murder and Its Consequences (340 pages)
23. Tess of the d'Urbervilles (486 pages)
24. Frankenstein, A Longman Cultural Edition (177 pages)
25. Where the Sidewalk Ends (176 pages)
26. The Outsiders (180 pages)
27. Siddhartha (122 pages)
28. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (341 pages)
29. Of Mice and Men (103 pages)
30. No Fear Shakespeare: Hamlet (340 pages)
21-30 Total: 2,477
31. Life and Loves of a She Devil (278 pages)
32. Secret Santa (152 pages)
33. Homecoming (400 pages)
34. Dicey's Song (359 pages)
35. The Ersatz Elevator (260 pages)
36. Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself (298 pages)
37. Speak (196 pages)
38. Memoirs of a Geisha (493 pages)
39. Stillwatch (356 pages)
40. Dreadful Sorry (340 pages)
31-40 Total: 3,132
41. I Never Had It Made: An Autobiography of Jackie Robinson (281 pages)
42. Fences (101 pages)
43. The Metamorphosis (96 pages)
44. The End of the Affair (160 pages)
45. Kaffir Boy: An Autobiography--The True Story of a Black Youth's Coming of Age in Apartheid South Africa (352 pages)
46. The Fire Next Time (104 pages)
47. To Kill a Mockingbird (321 pages)
48. The Kite Runner (371 pages)
49. A Lesson Before Dying (254 pages)
50. The Lovely Bones (325 pages)
41-50 Total: 2,365
51. Second Glance (418 pages)
52. The Tenth Circle (387 pages)
53. Plain Truth (403 pages)
54. Mercy (400 pages)
55. Perfect Match (352 pages)
56. The Pact (387 pages)
57. Picture Perfect (367 pages)
58. Salem Falls (434 pages)
59. Change of Heart (447 pages)
60. My Sister's Keeper (423 pages)
51-60 Total: 4,018

Pre-2010 total (so far): 16,050 pages

Lifetime total (so far): 29,440

message 24: by Kjerstin (last edited Mar 01, 2011 07:27AM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments I didn't quite make my 2010 page goal; however, I will not let that discourage me!

My 2011 Goals:
15,000 pages
45 books *Updated* 50 books

Hopefully this year, I will be able to read more than I ever have before! I'm looking forward to it!

January Reads 2011

1. The Shadow of Your Smile by Mary Higgins Clark (319 pages) 1/7/11 This was sort of a let down in terms of MHC books. There wasn't really any suspense. I knew what was going to happen the whole time, and the things I didn't know were things I didn't really care about. Is MHC losing her touch? I seriously hope not.
2. Peter Pan (Barnes & Noble Classics) by J.M. Barrie (208 pages) 1/8/11 I cannot believe I've lived my whole life without reading this book. There were so many beautiful details and surprising descriptions! This book reminded me of the joys of my own childhood and helped me appreciate imagination and creativity so much more. Anyone who reads this book will be better off for it.
3. Flawless (Pretty Little Liars, #2) by Sara Shepard (330 pages) 1/11/11 This was the second installment in the Pretty Little Liars series. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I have no idea who A is though, and I usually figure out who-dun-it pretty easily in most mysteries. In that respect, Shepard has me hooked. I can't NOT know... Some aspects of the story were disappointing, but mostly because I watched the first season of the show and things aren't turning out in the book how they did in the show. I know the books came first, so I know I'm being unreasonable, but I loved the Aria-Ezra thing, and he's barely in this book. Anyway, I'm excited for the next book!
4. Perfect (Pretty Little Liars, #3) by Sara Shepard (280 pages) 1/18/11 I'm not sure that I like the direction the books are going. *Spoiler Alert*: I hate that Ezra got arrested!!! Why is Spencer so crazy? I don't think she did it. My guesses right now are between Melissa, Ian, and Lucas (although I like the way Lucas treated Hanna in this book). I'm excited to read the next one!
5. The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (109 pages) 1/30/11 I had to read this book for my European Romanticism class. I enjoyed it, because I love the Romantics, but if you do not like reading the innermost thoughts of whiny men, then don't read this!
6. Two Slave Rebellions at Sea The Heroic Slave and Benito Cereno by Willene Hendrick (139 pages) 1/31/11 I had to read this book for my Major American Novels class. It is actually composed of 2 short stories, "The Heroic Slave" by Fredrick Douglass and "Benito Cereno" by Herman Melville. In many of the reviews I read about this book, most people seemed to like "Benito Cereno" better than "The Heroic Slave," but I hold the complete opposite opinion. Although the gothic elements in "Benito Cereno" were cool, I found the story to be pretty dry and boring. However, I really enjoyed the story in "The Heroic Slave" as well as the characters and the elevated language. I loved the ending :)

January 2011 Page Goal: 1,250
January 2011 Page Total: 1,385

2011 Page Goal: 15,000
2011 Page Total: 1,385

Lifetime Page Goal: 1,000,000
Lifetime Page Count: 29,968

I passed my goal for the month of January in terms of pages, and I am ahead of where I need to be to finish my goal of 45 books for the year. On top of that, I read an equal number of non-"fluff" books as "fluff" books this month. Hooray!

message 25: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments February Reads 2011

7. The Art of Description World into Word by Mark Doty (137 pages) 2/1/11 I had to read this book for my poetry class this semester, and I actually really liked it. Doty explains description in a way that I hadn't really thought of, and I think I learned a lot from this book. I guess I will see if my poetry improves!
8. Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1) by James Patterson (435 pages) 2/8/11 I have wanted to start reading a series by James Patterson for the longest time because I wanted to see what the fuss was all about. I was disappointed at some parts of the book because the writing was not very good; however, I assume that Patterson has progressed quite a bit in his writing because he has written so many more books. I will see if that is true as I continue the series. The series is almost as old as I am, and that is pretty impressive! I thought I had the book all figured out, and I was ready for a let down once I reached the end. Fortunately, I was mistaken! The twist at the end of the book was completely unexpected, at least for me, and quite exciting! So if you are starting this book, don't get frustrated with it! Read the whole thing, and I think you will be presently surprised.
9. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (180 pages) 2/9/11 I read this book for the first time as a junior in high school, and I hated it. SO MUCH! However, this time, I absolutely loved it. I'm not sure what changed between then and now other than that I am older and a better reader. Anyway, this book is awesome.
10. Elegy Poems by Mary Jo Bang (87 pages) 2/13/11 I read this book of beautiful poetry as part of a project for my poetry class. Mary Jo Bang wrote this after her son committed suicide. Her writing style flows very nicely. At times, I smiled; most of the time though, I wanted to cry. I know what it is like to lose someone, as many of us do, and Bang writes about her experience with grief in a powerful way. I would recommend this to anyone, even those who do not read poetry. I did not like reading poetry until I found this book. I read it today in one sitting because I just could not put it down.
11. Confessions Of Jean Jacques Rousseau - Volume I. by J. Rousseau (176 pages) 2/13/11 I have to read the first 6 books of Jean-Jacques Rousseau's Confessions for my European Romanticism class, and this is Volume I (books 1-3). Rousseau was definitely an egotistical young man, and sometimes I find reading his Confessions to be annoying. However, most of the time, I just laugh at him. I really enjoy European Romantic literature (from the Romantic era). And while I had fun reading the first volume of Rousseau's autobiography, I don't know that I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't love Romantic literature.
12. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner (259 pages) 2/23/11 I read this book for my Major American Novels class and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a little difficult the first time through, but having class discussions about it helped a lot.
13. Corinne, or Italy by Anne Louise Germaine de Staël (432 pages) 2/23/11 I read this book for my European Romanticism class. Although it was quite long-winded at times, describing nature and portaits and such, I really liked the story.
14. The Robbers A Tragedy by Friedrich von Schiller (120 pages) 2/28/11 I liked this play, but I was frustrated by the ending. I had to read this for my European Romanticism class.

February 2011 Page Goal: 1,250
February 2011 Page Total: 1,826

2011 Page Total: 3,211

Lifetime Page Total: 31,794

message 26: by Kjerstin (last edited Mar 31, 2011 07:02PM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments March Reads 2011

15. Unbelievable (Pretty Little Liars, #4) by Sara Shepard (336 pages) 3/2/11 So far, this was the most intense of the series. I loved it, especially the end. I never seriously suspected you-know-who (I don't want to give it away!) to be A. What's next for the Liars?
16. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (242 pages) 3/9/11 If you have ever been bored by Hemingway or intimidated by him, READ THIS BOOK! This was the book that really put Hemingway on the map as a writer, and I can see why. His writing is spare, concise, and so quirky. I love it.
17. Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2) by James Patterson (456 pages) 3/14/11 I like this series so far. James Patterson definitely keeps my interest while I read the books. My only complaint about this one is that I did not like the ending. I thought it was too easy. Overall good fluff book though.
18. The Last Letters of Jacopo Ortis (Hesperus Classics) by Ugo Foscolo (145 pages) 3/20/11 I read this book for my European Romaticism class. It was similar to The Sorrows of Young Werther, which I read in January for this class. However, there was just something about Jacopo that really bugged me. It was so hard to finish this book! I don't recommend this unless you love Italian Romantic literature or you love listening to whining men.
19. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling (309 pages) 3/25/11 I'm attempting to re-read the whole series before the movie comes out. I forgot how much I read enjoyed this book :)
20. Watching the Spring Festival Poems by Frank Bidart (57 pages) 3/28/11 A pretty good book of poetry by Frank Bidart. I had to read this for a project that I just completed for my poetry class.
21. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (579 pages) 3/30/11 I really loved this book. I had to read it for my Major American Novels class, and it blew me out of the water. I have decided to do my research paper on this book because I love it so much!
22. Wicked (Pretty Little Liars, #5) by Sara Shepard (311 pages) 3/31/11 I sort of felt like nothing was happening during this whole book. It's not my favorite of the series, but the ending makes me want to keep reading.

March 2011 Page Goal: 1,250
March 2011 Page Total: 2,435

2011 Page Total: 5,646

Lifetime Page Total: 34,229

message 27: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments Wow Kjerstin! You are doing awesome!

message 28: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments Thanks Megan!

message 29: by Kjerstin (last edited May 02, 2011 05:58PM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments April Reads 2011

23. A Poetry Handbook by Mary Oliver (122 pages) 4/5/11 I read this book for my poetry class. It is a really good handbook for improving your poetry writing.
24. Undine by Friedrich de la Motte Fouqué (50 pages) 4/6/11 I had to read this for my European Romanticism class. It was okay. I would really only recommend it to people who want to read a story about mermaids. I love mermaids, but this didn't really cut it for me.
25. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling (341 pages) 4/8/11 For a long time, I thought this book was my least favorite of the whole series. However, after re-reading it, I realized that I actually love this book a lot! I don't think I have a least favorite anymore.
26. Blood Meridian Or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy (335 pages) 4/25/11 The amount of horror in this book surprised me, despite the title. At times, I had trouble reading it for that reason. However, McCarthy's writing completely makes up for it. He uses such beautiful language, and there are so many words I didn't know in this book that really intrigued me. If you read this, you definitely need to keep a dictionary with you! Not my favorite book, but beautiful.

April 2011 Page Goal: 1,250
April 2011 Page Count: 848

2011 Page Total: 6,494

Lifetime Page Total: 35,077

So I didn't reach my monthly goal for April. I'm almost done with quite a few books that I haven't had time to finish because of school. May will hopefully make up for what I missed in April :)

message 30: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments May Reads 2011

27. Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (287 pages) 5/2/11 I absolutely love this book. Kurt Vonnegut is hilarious, yet extremely deep. This is my favorite book I've read so far this semester.
28. Donkey Gospel by Tony Hoagland (71 pages) 5/10/11 I particularly liked this book of poetry by Tony Hoagland. His descriptions are so new, yet so believable. I recommend this to anyone interested in writing good poetry.
29. Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko (262 pages) 5/24/11 I had to read this book for my Major American Novels class last semester. I didn't finish it until two weeks after school got out! Oops! Haha It was a pretty good book, not a favorite, though.

May 2011 Page Goal: 1,250
May 2011 Page Count: 620

2011 Page Count: 7,114

Lifetime Page Count: 35,697

message 31: by Kjerstin (last edited Jul 25, 2011 08:48PM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments June Reads 2011

30. Killer (Pretty Little Liars, #6) by Sara Shepard (322 pages) 6/2/11 I am starting to get bored with this series. However, the ending of this book, once again, makes me HAVE to read to next one.

31. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling (435 pages) 6/6/11 I liked this book much more than I remember liking it before. One of my favorite in the series!

32. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling (734 pages) 6/22/11 This took me much longer to read than I had hoped, since I'm trying to re-read the whole series before the movie. I didn't like it as much as I had before, but this is probably because it took so long!

June 2011 Page Goal: 1,250
June 2011 Page Count: 1,491

2011 Page Count: 8,605

Lifetime Page Count: 37,188

message 32: by Kjerstin (last edited Aug 02, 2011 10:03PM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments July Reads 2011

33. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling (870 pages) 7/12/11 This book took me so long to read, but I loved the fight scene at the end! It's my favorite of the first five!

34. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling (652 pages) 7/25/11 This is now my favorite in the series! Haha I love this book so much! I tried to read the whole series before the movie, but it's now 10 days past and I just finished book 6. On to book 7!

35. Jack & Jill (Alex Cross, #3) by James Patterson (430 pages) 7/31/11 This was not my favorite in the series, but it was much more complex than the first two. I think that in attempting to make a more complicated plot, Patterson left too many loose ends and parts of the novel didn't seem to fit. Overall though, I still liked the book, and I will continue to read the series.

July 2011 Page Goal: 1,250
July 2011 Page Count: 1,952

2011 Page Count: 10,557

Lifetime Page Count: 39,140

With those two Harry Potter books, I am already past my goal for this month! However, I know I need to get even further past my goal bc school is starting soon! When it does, I will barely have any time for reading. I'm not taking any literature classes this semester either...

message 33: by Kjerstin (last edited Aug 02, 2011 10:04PM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments August Reads 2011

36. The One-Eyed Giant (Tales from the Odyssey, #1) by Mary Pope Osborne (95 pages) 8/2/11 I read this book with the ten-year-old I nanny to make sure that she was understanding the Greek mythology. The author actually does a great job of making the Greek mythology of the story of The Odyssey accessible to younger kids. Ainsley, the ten-year-old I watch, was enjoying it so much that she didn't want to put it down! That is quite a big deal for this kid :)

August 2011 Page Goal: 1,250
August 2011 Page Count: 95

2011 Page Count: 10,652

Lifetime Page Count: 39,235

message 34: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments Way to go Kjerstin!

message 35: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments Thanks Meghan! :)

message 36: by Kjerstin (last edited Dec 16, 2011 09:43AM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments September Reads 2011

37. Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult (447 pages)

38. Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer (378 pages)

September 2011 Page Goal: 1,250
September 2011 Page Total: 825

2011 Page Total: 11,477

Lifetime Page Total: 40,060

message 37: by Kjerstin (last edited Jan 16, 2012 07:59PM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments December Reads 2011

39. The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins (371 pages)

40. Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer (754 pages)

41. Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins (389 pages)

42. Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins (388 pages)

December 2011 Page Goal: 3,523 (the remainder of my page goal)
December 2011 Page Total: 1,902

2011 Page Total: 13,379

Lifetime Page Total: 41,962

message 38: by Mad Scientist (new)

Mad Scientist (madscientist) | 1119 comments Wow, you have a nice variety listed throughout your tracking progress. I love the little paragraphs next to the books :)

message 39: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments Thanks, Mad Scientist! :)

message 40: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments So I didn't make my 2011 goal of reading 50, nor did I make my 2011 goal of reading 15,000 pages. Thus, these will become my 2012 goals, and I am just going to have to work harder to keep up with them!!

Here we go!

January 2012 Reads

1. Holy Bible NIV Trimline Bible by Anonymous (1,134 pages) 1/16/12 What a fantastic way to start off the new year! I have been trying to read through the entire bible for about a year and a half, and I finally finished it! I learned a lot about God and the love He has for us, and my faith grew by spending time in His Word. However, I know I also missed a lot. I definitely need to read through it again!

January 2012 Page Goal: 1,250
January 2012 Page Total: 1,134

2012 Page Goal: 15,000
2012 Page Total: 1,134

Lifetime Page Total: 43,096

message 41: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments Mmmmmm....I think I will have to set my self a goal for a one year total...

You are doing great so far this month by the way!

message 42: by Mad Scientist (new)

Mad Scientist (madscientist) | 1119 comments Sometimes little goals help u reach the bigger goals. :)

message 43: by Kjerstin (last edited Oct 29, 2012 02:41PM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments I've been really busy with school and work that I haven't been on Goodreads in quite some time! I don't know if I remember all of the books I've read so far this year, but these are the ones I remember so far!

February-October 2012 Reads

2. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling (309 Pages)
3. Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris (292 pages)
4. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling (341 pages)
5. Don't Date Naked by Michael Smalley (163 pages)
6. My Gal Sunday by Mary Higgins Clark (206 pages)
7. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling (435 pages)
8. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling (734 pages)

February-October 2012 Page Goal: 11,250
February-October 2012 Page Total: 2,480

2012 Page Total:

Lifetime Page Total: 45,576

message 44: by Kjerstin (last edited Dec 15, 2012 09:04AM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments November 2012 Reads

9. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter #5) by J.K. Rowling (870 pages)

10. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter #6) by J.K. Rowling (652 pages)

November 2012 Page Goal: 1,250
November Page Total: 1,522

2012 Page Total: 5,136

Lifetime Page Total: 47,098

message 45: by Kjerstin (last edited Dec 15, 2012 09:21AM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments December 2012 Reads

11. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling (759 pages)

December 2012 Page Goal:
December Page Total: 9,864

2012 Page Total: 5,895

Lifetime Page Total: 47,857

message 46: by Kjerstin (last edited Jan 31, 2013 12:38PM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments WOW! What happened last year?! A lot, actually, but not much of it was finishing books. :(

I am once again attempting the goals of 50 books in a year and 15,000 pages in a year. Let's see how it goes this time around. Third time's a charm, right? ;)

January 2013 Reads

1. The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) by Lemony Snicket (164 pages)
2. Danger in the Shadows (O'Malley #0.5) by Dee Henderson (305 pages)
3. Walks With Men Fiction by Ann Beattie (102 pages)
4. The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2) by Lemony Snicket (168 pages)
5. The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3) by Lemony Snicket (182 pages)
6. Adult Children of Alcoholics by Janet Geringer Woititz (106 pages)

January 2013 Goal: 1,250 pages
January 2013 Total: 1,027 pages

2013 Page Goal: 15,000
2013 Page Total: 1,027

Lifetime Page Total: 48,884

message 47: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) It will be!! You can do this :D

message 48: by Kjerstin (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments Thanks, Zakiya! :)

message 49: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Any time!

message 50: by Kjerstin (last edited Feb 18, 2013 08:59AM) (new)

Kjerstin (kjerstinkaye) | 80 comments I didn't quite make my page goal for the month of January. Hopefully I can make up for it this month!

February 2013

7. Discovery God's Answers to Our Deepest Questions by Will Wyatt (224 pages)

8. Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult (464 pages)

February 2013 Page Goal: 1,473
February Page Total: 688

2013 Page Goal: 15,000
2013 Page Total: 1,715

Lifetime Page Total: 49,572

« previous 1