Picture of the Day > October's Favorite Pictures

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments
Alfred Gockel
'Endless Love'

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments interesting . . . it kind of reminds me of an artwork we have. I can't remember the name of it. I will check it tomorrow when I go in.

http://www.gockelfineart.com/pages/up...

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments silly stuff --

[image error]
grass pom-poms

[image error]
metal scroll car

[image error]
sad trees

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments
Mezzetin, probably 1718–20
Jean Antoine Watteau (French, 1684–1721)
Oil on canvas

Source: Jean Antoine Watteau: Mezzetin (34.138) | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Mezzetin, whose name means "half-measure," was one of the stock characters of Italian commedia dell'arte. He could be a deceived or a deceiving husband, and could serve his master with devotion or take bribes and betray him. This representation of Mezzetin in his moment of ardor has the effect of a moving performance on the stage. The statue of a female figure with its back turned may imply the reaction of Mezzetin's unseen listener. The painting, usually dated 1718–20, belonged to Watteau's friend Jean de Jullienne. The artist's treatment of the silk costume and the garden background influenced Thomas Gainsborough (1727–1788), who knew paintings by Watteau in British collections.

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-o...

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I love the pastel colors they use in the painting. It has a drream-like quality to it. Thanks, Heather.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments
Artist: Emile Antoine Bourdelle
[French sculptor, 1861-1929]

Title: Hercules the Archer

Date: 1909
Medium: bronze
Dimensions: -

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I love the physicality of this sculpture of Hercules the Archer. I looked at the detail and he has got his foot on the head of the female figure poised fromtwards, and it looks like he has got his knee on someone facing downward. Amazing!

message 8: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I like trees. I like pictures of trees on paper. Beginning in 1826 with Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot's Clump of Trees at Civita Castellana, pen and brown ink and graphite with white heightening on brown wove paper, at the National Gallery in Washington.

At the Met, John William North's Spring, 1888-1890, watercolor.
[image error]

All the rest of these are from the Met's drawings collection too. René Ernest Huet's A Fir Tree in the Forest of the Landes, Aquitane, 1909, black chalk, graphite, pen and ink, and white wash on brown wove paper:
[image error]

W. E. Cyrenius' Goetheweg bei Torfhaus-Brocken, 1921, bodycolor and watercolor:
[image error]

Childe Hassam, The Big Horse Chestnut Tree, Easthampton, 1928, etching:
[image error]

Rockwell Kent, Pine Boughs and Bees, ca. 1950, gouache:
[image error]

Lastly, Milton Avery's Edge of the Forest, 1951, monotype print:
[image error]

message 9: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Bourdelle is a new one for me.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I like Bourdelle too, I also like trees.

message 11: by Sanna (new)

Sanna | 2 comments René Ernest Huet's artwork resembles the work of Pekka Halonen Finnish National Gallery

message 12: by Sanna (new)

Sanna | 2 comments

Artist: Luca Signorelli (c.1445-1523)
Title: Crucifixion
Date: c.1500
Medium: Oil on canvas

message 13: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments Gimme some Luca Signorelli!
If you're ever in Orvieto his work in the cathedral is huge!

description

http://benatlas.com/2010/05/the-fresc...

message 14: by Robin (last edited Oct 06, 2010 01:59PM) (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) The cathedral is stupendous also..

message 15: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments description
Orvieto

description
Wasn't this "well" so interesting to see? How amazing to witness what was done for water and to avoid attack. It's fascinating to see what people accomplished for the pope and their own survival. I'm blessed to have traveled so much!

message 16: by Robin (last edited Oct 07, 2010 02:44PM) (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I'm jealous Monica. I would like to someday go to Italy,but alas no $$ enough to go. It is one thing to see these places in a book, but to actually get to see these places, amazing!

message 17: by Monica (new)

Monica | 909 comments It can be a big schlep. Travel is a lot of work, too!

message 18: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Yes, I hear you.

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments
Stare

Window

Will

"When you focus on something that is really important it creates an altered state of reality and it becomes a sort of trance," says Monks.
"And that is what happens to me as well when I paint these. Neurological books say that people like art that doesn't make sense initially but that coalesces after a moment of confusion. You get the 'aha' moment when things crytallize. And, when you push that, and get the reality right up against abstraction, there is just enough mystery and just enough recognizable reality for someone to get fixated."
"There are easy kinds of facial expressions but I want to get that moment that happens between two states, the emotion that is not quite formed yet," say Monks. "There is a level of ambiguity to them and this helps to create a narrative around what the person might be experiencing, but I want to keep it kind of neutral so I don't fixate on just one kind of experience."

The Collector says "Alyssa Monks paints vapors, drips and bubbles so precisely that you are drawn to her surfaces to see how she has mastered this evanescent illusion. I think there is a combination of awe and suspicion mixed into your curiosity because on some level you would like to see her fail at this legerdemain. But she doesn't. Harder scrutiny only gives you greater pleasure. There is no weakness. There is no dismissing her paintings." Eric Fischl

AMERICAN ART COLLECTOR MAGAZINE

message 20: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) These painting look so life like, at first I thought they were photographs. She does an excellent job in evoking what she set out to do.

message 21: by Heather (last edited Oct 11, 2010 07:51AM) (new)

Heather | 4 comments

The Kiss of the Saphinx
Jean Delville

“The essential attribute of symbolist art consists in never fixing or directly uttering an idea as a concept”, wrote the poet Jean Moréas in 1886

Symbolism's exponents were linked not only by the artistic manner of expression, but first and foremost by an intellectual attitude, in which the power of the imagination plays a key role. Symbolism is informed by the constant confrontation with the boundaries between reality, dream and doubt; with endurance and decay, with redemption and downfall. A close interconnection of poetry and the visual arts, the tendency towards the Gesamtkunstwerk – the total work of art – also characterize symbolism, which embraces painting, jewellery, works on paper, the decorative arts and furniture. Costly materials in the most consummate and elaborate workmanship, an elegant, linear language of forms and a melancholy and dreamy overall mood mark this art trend, which has such a close affinity to art nouveau.

Art Knowledge News

message 22: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) its very celestial looking and I love the vibrant colors being used. A very dream-like quality, very nice, Heather.

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments Thanks, Robin!

Marc, Franz

Franz Marc was born on February 8, 1880, in Munich, Germany. He studied at the Munich Art Academy and traveled to Paris several times where he saw the work of Gauguin, Van Gogh, and the Impressionists. With Kandinsky, he founded the almanac "Der Blaue Reiter" in 1911 and organized exhibitions with this name. He was a principal member of the First German Salon d'Automne in 1913. At the beginning of World War I, he volunteered for military service and he died near Verdun, France, on March 4, 1916.

Franz Marc was a pioneer in the birth of abstract art at the beginning of the twentieth-century The Blaue Reiter group put forth a new program for art based on exuberant color and on profoundly felt emotional and spiritual states. It was Marc's particular contribution to introduce paradisiacal imagery that had as its dramatis personae a collection of animals, most notably a group of heroic horses.

Tragically, Marc was killed in World War I at the age of thirty-six, but not before he had created some of the most exciting and touching paintings of the Expressionist movement.

Dog Lying in the Snow
1910-11 Oil on canvas, 62.5 x 105 cm; Stadelsches Kunstinstitut, Frankfurt

The Yellow Cow
1911 Oil on canvas, 140.5 x 189.2 cm; Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York

Deer in the Woods II
1912 Oil on canvas, 110.5 x 80.5 cm; Stadtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus, Munich

Tiger
1912 Oil on canvas, 111 x 111.5 cm; Stadtische Galerie im Lenbachhaus, Munich

The fate of the animals
1913 Oil on canvas, 196 x 266 cm; Kunstmuseum, Basle

Foxes
1913 Oil on canvas, 87 x 65 cm; Kunstmuseum, Dusseldorf

The Lamb
1913-14; Museum Boymans-van-Beuningen, Rotterdam

Fighting Forms
1914 Oil on canvas, 91 x 131 cm; Staatsgalerie moderner Kunst, Munich

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments Just in time for Halloween!

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim | 147 comments Heather wrote: "Thanks, Robin!

Marc, Franz

Franz Marc was born on February 8, 1880, in Munich, Germany. He studied at the Munich Art Academy and traveled to Paris several times where he saw the work of Gauguin, ..."

Love the Tiger
as usual, war's insanity deprives us of what Marc could have done over time

message 26: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I like Franz use of colors they are almost surrealistic to me.

message 27: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Patricia Piccinini. The Young Family, 2003:

Phillip, 2005:

http://www.patriciapiccinini.net/

message 28: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) the patricia piccini the second one is certainly scary looking.

message 29: by Ruth (last edited Oct 14, 2010 08:54AM) (new)

Ruth | 1948 comments She's a new one to me.

Creepy.

message 30: by Pete (new)

Pete daPixie | 52 comments Apologies for being slow and behind things. Story of my life. Regards the Jean Delville 'The splendour of the Angel'.
'The kiss of the ? Saphinx'?
Ich habe keine ahnung.

message 31: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments It makes me think of photographer Phillip Toledano's "baby suit" from his "Hope and Fear" collection.
[image error]

a favorite from "days with my father"

http://www.art-dept.com/artists/toled...

message 32: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) The babysuit looks interesting, Carol.

message 33: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I wouldn't have guessed that covering yourself in babies would make you look like a Yeti, but it does.

message 34: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1948 comments Oh lord. There were days in my youth when I felt like that. Thankgawd they grow up.

message 35: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments Please tell me, at what age do they grow up?

message 36: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1948 comments Reality starts to dawn when their own kids give them trouble.

message 37: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I remember those days all to well. And I have just the one.

message 38: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments OMG Ruth. My three are 24, 23 and 20. I was hoping that it would occur soon -- they are all still living at home.

message 39: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments [image error]
detail image of the kitty

Churning butter, Jean-Francois Millet, 1866-68

message 40: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Very nice Millet. Thanks, Carol

message 41: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments
Diego Rivera, Flower Vendor, Norton Simon Museum

message 42: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I love the colors Diego used in his painting. Are the flowers anthuriums? That is a huge amount of flowers.

message 43: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1948 comments They look like calla lilies to me.

message 44: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I was leaning towards that observation also. Thanks Ruth

message 45: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments I saw many posters of this artwork in restaurants in CA. I love the flowers and the young girl but I find how Rivera depicted her feet interesting. I feel as though her thighs are side by side, but then her feet can't really be toes to toes-- right?

message 46: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments Ingres' ladies -- such talent . . .

Mademoiselle Jeanne Suzanne Catherine Gonin, 1821, Taft Museum

Madame Marie Marcotte, 1826, Louvre

Louise de Broglie, Countess d'Haussonville, 1845, Frick Collection

Princess Albert de Broglie, 1853, MET

message 47: by Ruth (last edited Oct 21, 2010 02:32PM) (new)

Ruth | 1948 comments Carol wrote: "I saw many posters of this artwork in restaurants in CA. I love the flowers and the young girl but I find how Rivera depicted her feet interesting. I feel as though her thighs are side by side, but..."

Artistic license, done for design's sake. Those calla lily stems wouldn't bend in that neat ballet, either.

I find those feet endearing.

message 48: by A. (new)

A. (almas) | 232 comments Carol, I came to this thread just to post the Flower Vendor and was surprised that's it's here before me :)

is that a book in the left corner?

message 49: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 1140 comments Possibly -- if you look closely at it there are 2 lines across -- the first line I believe is his first and last name but I can't make out the second line.

message 50: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I was wondering about the flower vendor also, she must have been very flexible.

« previous 1