Ling Period 8 World Lit. I 2010-11 discussion

Haroun > Practicality v. Imagination: Ch. 1 - 6

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana (last edited Oct 01, 2010 03:47PM) (new)

Diana | 19 comments Mod
Is it more valuable to be practical, or to be imaginative? Why?

Support your thinking with specific references to characters, events, and quotations in Haroun (Ch. 1 - 6). Read, and build on what your classmates say before posting (rather than repeating what's already been said).

I also encourage you to incorporate connections to other stories, fictional and/or real (e.g. historical).

message 2: by J. (new)

J. Ni | 11 comments >We post here right? And we only answer one question or all?

It is more valuable to be imaginative, because imagination leads to invention, and without inventions, we would still be in a cave hovering in front of a fire. In the book, Haroun becomes imaginative when he tells everyone to be quiet on the Arabian Nights Plus One. He inferred that Dal Lake was Moody Land, and so solved the problem of the bad weather by doing this. I don't believe a practical person could've thought of that.

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana | 19 comments Mod
One question.

J. wrote: ">We post here right? And we only answer one question or all?

It is more valuable to be imaginative, because imagination leads to invention, and without inventions, we would still be in a cave hove..."

message 4: by Sami (new)

Sami | 10 comments It is more valuable to be imaginative then to be practical. It is more valuable to be imaginative because it makes you have more of a personality. Also if you are imaginative you can be realistic. Salman Rushdie was being imaginative while writing Haroun, but was also being realistic because he was explaining what was truly happening with him to his son. If you are imaginative then you can accomplish much more. If you are only practical then you cannot accomplish much because you would not be able to imagine much of anything. If you look in the book Haroun, you can see that Rashid is much more successful then Mr. Sengupta. He is much more successful because he is more imaginative.

message 5: by Nick (new)

Nick Blake | 10 comments Actually, differing from most people I believe that a person needs to be both imaginative and practical to succeed in life. I like to think of balance in all aspects of our world to be important and equally valuable. That is why if people are only imaginative, they cannot do things that may help us practically. Also this is very true vice-versa. People need to be both so they can think in different perspectives and that can lead them to solving problems in the true, best, form possible. Practicality can can also lead to inventions. Only imagination can lead you to knew, different things, practical lives need to be established for us to survive. This is why success requires both imaginative and practical thinking.

message 6: by Otis (new)

Otis C | 4 comments I believe that being imaginative is more valuable than being practical. Why? Well, if we are imaginative, we open our minds to let things "come into" our brain. Thus allowing us to create new things that would help our lives be more Practical. As you can see, practicality comes from imaginativeness. In Haroun, like everyone else is saying, Rashid is much more successful than Mr. Sengupta, because Rashid is imaginative, which also gives him practicality, but Mr. Sengupta, is only practical, without imaginativeness. So while Mr. Sengupta is living a normal life with boundaries, Rashid's life has No boundaries.

message 7: by Noam (new)

Noam | 9 comments I think that it is more valuable to be imaginative than it is to be practical...to an extent. Being imaginative leads to new ideas, which in turn lead to inventions, deeds, etc. Not to mention if you have a problem, it is better to be imaginative, to think outside the box to solve a problem. K-S for example, has no imagination, and for that reason he wants everyone to be silent, he is a fanatic and his people are not happy... The Gups though have a lot of imagination and are all happy

message 8: by Anthony (new)

Anthony | 9 comments I think that being imaginative holds somewhat more value than being practical. Being imaginative allows you to joke around and look at life in a more amusing perspective, while being practical makes everything serious and critical. Imagination is what makes life interesting, and makes you seek new opportunities, however, being practical is like going with the flow and living life from an uninteresting point of view. For example, in the story the Gups are very imaginative and live enjoyable lives, while the Chups live in practical, silent, unhappy lives.

message 9: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 10 comments I feel being practical is important because you need to have some distinction between when to be fun or abstract and when to be serious or responsible. But also imaginative is also important because everyone needs to have some imagination or else their life will be so dull and boring. So I think I would choose both. Being imaginative is a great way to live because not only will you have more fun, you will also accomplish more abstract and "strange" things. For example the Gups and Rashid. Those characters are some of the imaginative ones and they both are great characters but when it is to overdone you might want to stick with being practical. Being practical is important too because there is a point when being too imaginative is going to lead to being childish and you do not want it to get at that point. The characters Chups and Mr.Sengupti lead to the practical side and more sinful side.

message 10: by Olivia (new)

Olivia G | 3 comments That's a very difficult question to answer, and I would have to say that neither one is MORE valuable than the other because they both have very different uses. I think in more serious situations you would want to go to someone practical, while you might spend the majority of your free time with an imaginative person because that might be a little more fun. Also, who's to say that you can't be practical and imaginative? I like to think that the value of each trait really depends on the situation. A good balance of imagination and practicality is best, because while it is important to have fun, you need to know when to step back and be serious when necessary. In reference to the book, Chup is clearly the more lacking of the two lands, but Gup isn't completely flawless. For example, when the King's men found Rashid and thought he was a spy, their worst punishment was to make him write "I must not spy" one thousand and one times. In my view, this is not a very practical (or effective) punishment for a spy.
So in short, I think that both traits are equally important to possess, and you should have a good balance of the two, maybe leaning more towards the imaginative side.