Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Marcy's September

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Not a great month quantity or quality wise, although I did greatly enjoy To Say Nothing of the Dog. I am finally back listening to The Passage and really liking it as well, but it is sooo long.

Mourn the Living by Henry Perez - A serial killer has been on the loose for years, moving from city to city, but now journalist Alex Chapa is tracking the story after the murder of a colleague. At the same time, he is trying to manage the complications of his personal life which include his 10 year old daughter visiting from Boston and his relationship with a new girlfriend. For me, the story fell flat with characters I never felt I knew and a plot which strained credibility.

Billy Boyle: A World War II Mystery - Billy Boyle, a young Boston cop who has advanced largely due to nepotism, is once again given a break because of his connections. He is assigned to the staff of General Eisenhower (a distant relation by marriage), HQ European Theater of Operations. As a "detective" Billy is asked to discover a spy who has infiltrated an Allied operation to free Norway. One of the chief suspects turns up dead and the story continues from there. This was another Kindle freebie and an interesting read, but nothing I'd strongly recommend. However, I did think the writing and the premise were good and may try the next in the series to see if it is more promising.

The Burning Wire (audio) by Jeffery Deaver - Someone, possibly an eco-terrorist group is using New York City's electrical grid to kill and threaten many people. Lincoln Rhyme and his regular associates are determined to use their many skills and forensic techniques to stop the madness. Although I usually enjoy this series, this time I was incredibly bored by the expansive treatise on electricity and by Deaver's formulaic approach to the story. As much as I like Lincoln, I think we need a little time apart.

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis - I wish I could remember who recommended this sci-fi, time-traveling fantasy in the guise of a Victorian novel to me so that I could thank them properly. What a treat! Ned Henry and his fellow "historians" in the mid-21st century are searching for the whereabouts of the "bishop's bird stump" from the bombed out ruins of Coventry Cathedral and their quest takes them back to WW II London and late 19th century Oxford. The story, very tongue-in-cheek, is part mystery, romance and adventure and was great literary fun. It was so unexpectedly entertaining!

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1653 comments Marcy ~ Looks like you had a pretty "serious" reading month. I need to catch up with a few other Lincoln Rhyme books before I get to The Burning Wire...so I'll take my time ;)

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8264 comments Wow, Marcy, what a range of books you read this month. Sorry they weren't more satisfying but sounds like at least a couple were memorable.

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1232 comments >>To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis<<

I loved the audio version of To Say Nothing of the Dog which was read by Steven Crossley. Her latest book Blackout is set in the same universe but I have not read it yet because I am waiting for the sequel All Clear to be published.

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments It's never a total loss if at least one book was good!

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14988 comments Marcy:
The Passage is a long (very long...) one! DonnaJo and I laughed that we went through withdrawal after we were finally done and no more daily chapter emails. ;) It took over a month, Yikes!
It was worth it IMHO, though we wondered a few times when it wasn't clear where the story was going. I can't decide in retrospect whether the story would have had the same impact if it was shorter or not. The various setups over time and character introductions do add to the length but also add to the depth of meaning later in the tale. Good Luck!

Marcy wrote: "Not a great month quantity or quality wise, although I did greatly enjoy To Say Nothing of the Dog. I am finally back listening to The Passage and really liking it as well, but it is sooo long...."

message 7: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Sandi - Thanks for the Connie Willis info. I'll have to check out Blackout.

Melodie - I love the way you think.

Ann - I'm probably about two-thirds in and am privately guessing about the storyline. I will absolutely keep going. Just wish there were more hours in the day!

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3673 comments I have the Billy Boyle one on my nook it was a free friday book. I don't know when I'll get to it the title sure doesn't make me want to run to read it. But I'm willing it give it a try at some point and it will be trying a new author.

message 9: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments DJ - The main character was very interesting. Despite having gained the system with all his family connections, he has the grace to be insecure and humble.

message 10: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3673 comments Hopefully when I finish the started nook book I'll read that one next.