Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

I Heart You, You Haunt Me
This topic is about I Heart You, You Haunt Me
I Heart You, You Haunt Me > Ava's parents

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Although Ava is close to her parents, she never tells them about Jackson's ghost. Why do you think this is the case? If you thought you were being haunted by a loved one, would you tell anyone? Why or why not?

Miss Bookiverse (missbookiverse) Maybe it's because she's afraid they won't believe her. I remember when I was heartbroken because of a break-up my mom was really worried and I was feeling horrible. If I had told her I was seeing his ghost I think she would've been even more worried about my (mental) health. Also Jackson's presence is probably something Ava wants to keep to herself and not share with anyone.

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 77 comments Infinite Playlist wrote: "Also Jackson's presence is probably something Ava wants to keep to herself and not share with anyone."

I think Infinite Playlist has some good points, but the last line was the best. And very insightful too, I might add.

I think Ava was trying to deny reality. Even though the ghost was real, it was still a fantasy--the fantasy that they could still be together, the fantasy that maybe she could die too. Talking about the problem and the ghost would destroy that fantasy.

Courtney (cklueh) I agree that Ava didn't want her parents to think she was crazy. Plus, if they did believe her, they would have encouraged her to let go of him. Ava had to come to that decision on her own. She didn't go to a counselor until after she had let go of Jackson. She was learning to cope with life after Jackson, so until she had let him go completely, she couldn't move on with her life. Now, she is learning how to be a person again without her other half.

Amanda (snugshelf) I agree with what everyone's said, plus Ava at first wonders herself if she's crazy, so she probably thought her parents would think that also. And they were already so worried, she wouldn't want to make it worse.

I probably wouldn't tell, for much the same reasons as I think Ava didn't: people would think I'm crazy, and it's just something I'd like to keep to myself, not destroy the illusion, sorta.

Christie | 37 comments I agree with everyone too, but Ava also tried to tell one of her friends and that did not work out for her as well as she thought and I think that she did not want her parents to think that she was crazier then she thought they thought she was.

I also think that Ava was still trying to figure out how real it all was. More of a like what is happening to me and where do i go from here kinda thing.

And Jackson did not appear when her parents were around so would he disappear for good if she told them about him?

message 7: by Amanda (last edited Oct 16, 2010 06:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amanda (snugshelf) And Jackson did not appear when her parents were around so would he disappear for good if she told them about him?
^
Very good point. :)