Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > Welcome to October 2010!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

This month we have, once again, two excellent Book of the Month selections:

October Fantasy: The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
October SF: Anathem by Neal Stephenson

As always, I'll set up a few starter topics, but please feel free to start more - and if anyone would like to volunteer to lead the discussion, please let me know. I've also set up the polls, so please go vote!

Our schedule for the next few months:

November Fantasy: Little, Big by John Crowley
November SF: Saturn's Children by Charles Stross

December Fantasy: Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay
December SF: The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven

Finally, this month also sees the start of our brand new Short Story Discussions, hosted by Candiss. The first discussion starts on Oct. 5th with PAPER CRADLE by Stephen Gaskell. You can find the Short Story Discussion folder here. A short story takes much less time to read than a novel, so if you find it hard to keep up with the book discussions, please consider participating with the short stories!

And that's it for now. Enjoy!

Stefan

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1357 comments OOOO!! Under Heaven is the December Fantasy. Right on. More incentive to read this, not that I need any

message 3: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments I've got Under Heaven on my TBR - yay! Looking forward to it.

message 4: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2357 comments Mod
I almost NEVER buy hardcovers, but Kay is a favorite and with the discussion here as an incentive, I guess I'll just have to splurge :)

(libraries? what are those?)

message 5: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments I bought Under Heaven a few days ago. Now I have to manage Fugitive Prince and Under Heaven at the same time. I'm not sure how this will go, but I'm going to try.

message 6: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I have a special place in my heart for Guy Gavriel Kay. Part of me wants to sit down and read Under Heaven cover to cover. BUT, there is another part of me that wants to wait. I've read and loved every book he's written. If I finish Under Heaven, for now at least, there's nothing left! For some reason, the idea of no Kay books left saddens me.

Is anyone else as crazy as me, or should I just get over it and read the book already?!

message 7: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments Laurel, I totally understand what you're saying. I feel like that sometimes too. So if you're crazy, I'm crazy too. Book crazy works fine for me. :)

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1357 comments I have to remember to read that in the next month

message 9: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Woohoo! Thanks Kerry!

message 10: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Laurel wrote: "I have a special place in my heart for Guy Gavriel Kay. Part of me wants to sit down and read Under Heaven cover to cover. BUT, there is another part of me that wants to wait. I've read and love..."

I read Guy Kay's first novel the year it came out, and have had to wait for ALL his titles, ever since - Get over it. Read it. His stories are rich enough to be worth thinking over during the wait. ;)