Outlander Series discussion

Archived > ABoSaA ...Ian & Brianna's Trip

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (lchacha) | 59 comments Can anyone tell me the purpose of Ian taking Brianna on the 3 day trip to see the mammoth bones?

I love Ian, I wish DG would put him in more story lines.

message 2: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments I'll give it a try: The obvious reason is to show Brianna the skeleton of the mammoth, which Ian thinks to be a "ghost " of some kind, because Rollo shows no reaction to it whatsoever. The other reason is his stillborn girl daughter and his worries, because he did not have her baptized. (The real reason for it we being informed what happened to Ian's merriage with Emmily, as I suppose.)

message 3: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Yes, I think the true purpose of it was that Ian wanted to tell Bree what he has been keeping to himself (I guess he wasn't really keeping it "secret" but wasn't ready to talk about it, rather) and why he would disappeared into isolation, for days at times. He had not told anyone, not even Jamie, about what happened with his Mohawk life, wife, his still born daughter, and the whole baptize issue. This part makes me angry that the Mohawks blamed him for it. Poor Ian.

message 4: by Candice (new)

Candice | 13 comments i just read this part! i think ian took brianna on this journey for the following reasons:

1) to show brianna the mammoth bones and to have brianna tell him what they were.

2) to finally tell someone (obviously brianna) what he experienced as a mohawk...get it off his chest, so to speak. sometimes people just need to talk.

3) to find peace regarding his separation from emily. he needed to know if he committed a grave sin for not bapitzing his daughter and if he was responsible for the miscarriages.

4) to receive guidance from brianna regarding whether he should return to the mohawks or stay at the ridge.

poor ian. he's gone through a lot!

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (susieq69) | 3 comments I think it's also that Ian needed to take Brianna specifically because he knows she's from a different time.
Ian has to reconcile his two worlds: the Mohawk type of spirituality and the 18th century Catholic type. Bree may be Catholic, but she's a different kind of Catholic because so many scientific advances had been made between Ian's time and Bree's true time. He needs not only to know where the mammoth came from and what it is (which Bree may be able to answer because of her different knowledge of the physical world), but he also wants Bree to help him answer the question of where his daughter is ( because of her different grasp of spirituality). It's not that he couldn't speak with Jamie about the spirituality aspect, but Bree has a distinctly different take on it.

message 6: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I agree, and also it's that Bree and him are peers. Jamie is more of an authority figure. Sometimes it's just easier to talk to a peer or friend then it is to talk to a 'parental figure'.