Book Bridges discussion

Pope Joan discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tex (new)

Tex (tex2flo) I have been reading a terrific book, Pope Joan. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27...
I had heard of the myth/rumor that there had once been a woman Pope, but had never read anything about it. Set even before the Middle Ages, it discusses some of my favorite topics of life, medicine, and religion at a period of time that we now consider primitive.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Rowland | 138 comments Mod
I have been trying to finish Knight's Hill so I can give it back to a librarian friend who loaned it to me. It has been a slow read for me and at a time when I have not had as much time to read as usual. I am looking forward to having more to post here, and adding Pope Joan to my list. Is this fiction or non?

message 3: by Tex (new)

Tex (tex2flo) It's fiction, but based on the myth. It's an interesting approach to how it all could have happened.
Is your Knight's Hill set in the middle ages? I LOVE to learn more about that period!

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda Rowland | 138 comments Mod
I met the man who wrote this at a book club meeting. It is the story of his family during WWII. I meant to ask you about your dad and the ship he was on. There was a mention of USS Maryland and Kwajalein Atoll in early 1944. I remember something about him and Kwajalein.
This is an interesting look at rural Texas life for families during the war as well as the stories of his brothers.

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Moore (suzeq) | 20 comments Linda wrote: "I met the man who wrote this at a book club meeting. It is the story of his family during WWII. I meant to ask you about your dad and the ship he was on. There was a mention of USS Maryland and ..."

The author is Bill Knight .. hence "Knight's Hill." He is a very good story teller, former Mineola ISD Superintendent, who served on our library board.