The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > Let The Right One In - no Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10125 comments Mod
Please don't ruin the book by talking about spoilers here.

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Phillips | 133 comments I will be joining in on this group read. I downloaded the sample and read that the other day.Looks like it will be an interesting read. Just about done with Fingersmith so I should be starting Let The Right One in later today or tomorrow. From the summary I read this book looks like it will be a great Halloween read!

message 3: by Emmet (new)

Emmet O'Cuana | 8 comments Lindqvist's Handling the Undead is also a great book. Looking forward to reading his latest.

Damn I wish I spoke Swedish so I didn't have to wait for translations.

message 4: by DevonAlyse (new)

DevonAlyse | 75 comments Is Let the Right One In the same as Let Me In? We have Let Me In at the library, and they have the same characters...I've been doing online research trying to figure it out and everything I've looked at seems to be split 50/50. I notice the cover of Let Me In it is on the link for Let the Right One In on this site. I don't know...I'm confused.

Did any of that even remotely make sense?

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Phillips | 133 comments "Very much enjoying the book so far. The character development is fantastic early on and conversely the book has mysterious characters right away also :o)

message 6: by Emmet (new)

Emmet O'Cuana | 8 comments DevonAlyse - blame Hollywood marketing. The original title, Let the Right One In, was considered too confusing for the American remake of the Swedish film. I presume print copies of the book have been rereleased with the amended title to tie-in with the new film.

Pity, as it's a nice reference to a Morrissey song.

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments I finished this book and I LOVED it!!!

I have not enjoyed a Vampire based novel this much since reading Anne Rice. Tracy, your observations are right on and do continue to the very poignant ending.
I found the empathy and depth of feeling unexpected, and deeply moving, particularly for a Swedish Author.

message 8: by Angelica (new)

Angelica | 1 comments Joining! Almost finished with Let Me In. Loooove this book so far!

message 9: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary (romerc) | 31 comments Just finished Sarah's Key. Ready to start this one! Everyone I know who's read it, loves it. My daughter saw the movie and can't wait for me to finish with the book so she can read it!

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Phillips | 133 comments Just finished! Although the book was gory in nature and for that reason a good Halloween read I also found that it had many "illustrations" about survival. Survival alone, within a community, among different species,survival at all costs and instances when survival of many took the precedence over survival of the few.

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments Really good points, Tracy...
Made me re-think my experience!

message 12: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Phillips | 133 comments It always nice to re-think a book through the eyes and perceptions of a fellow reader :o)

message 13: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments :)

message 14: by Elena (new)

Elena I started the book last night and I like it a lot. I had not read vampires in a while and this is just what I needed. Too much "serious" reading lately.

message 15: by Elena (new)

Elena Abookaday... wrote: "Lindqvist's Handling the Undead is also a great book. Looking forward to reading his latest.

Damn I wish I spoke Swedish so I didn't have to wait for translations."

I think it is out. Amazon description has English as the language of the book.

message 16: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary (romerc) | 31 comments I'm about halfway through this book. I am looking forward to seeing what happens to these characters. I find the book very dark. No one is really happy and everyone has some sort of problem. I suppose it is a survival story. I never really thought of it that way. I want to see how they survive their own unique situations.