Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Fantasy Romance > Know any good books?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (TaylorKat3) | 16 comments Hey guys, I'm bored to death... do any of you guys know any really good books?
I don't care what it's about- Angels, Vampires, Warewolf guys just throw anything unreal my way. But please, it has to have romance in it!!!! Thanks!

message 2: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (millaz) Hey Taylor.. I definitely know that feeling.. What about doing the explore/books here on Goodreads, and then you can search for romance, or paranormal romance, whatever you like, and see which books other people have read in those categories?

I do that sometimes, if I'm looking for new books.. :)

message 3: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Oct 01, 2010 12:08AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Tairen Soul! It's fantasy and romance (and a very good romance at that). Plus, it has a nod to PNR with a hero that is half Fey/half Tairen (shapeshifter cat that can fly).

Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul, #2) by C.L. Wilson King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3) by C.L. Wilson Queen of Song and Souls (Tairen Soul, #4) by C.L. Wilson Crown of Crystal Flame (Tairen Soul, #5) by C.L. Wilson

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Listopia's is a good way to find good books.. I always add a bunch to my to read list everytime i find a good listopia..

message 5: by Tania (new)

Tania Sign up for a challenge and then use that to pick some new books. That's what I'm doing to get myself out of my reading funk. So far I've discovered three great authors who'll I'll definately be reading again.

Otherwise check out what some of the readers on this board have rated five stars.

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments I'm currently in the middle of a romance that I am really enjoying. It doesn't have the more traditional vampires, werewolves, etc. of PNR, this one stars characters with psychic abilities. The series is called Arcane Society and it is by Amanda Quick, pseudonym for Jayne Ann Krentz. The first book in the series, the one I am currently reading, is Second Sight.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments The Mortal Instruments - Cassandra Clare (City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Angels and then the prequel, Clockwork Angel). My granddaughters loved it but so did my brother (he and I are adults, obviously) and so did both of my sons and my one daughter in law who read them.

Any of Juliet Marillier's books (Sevenwater series, Bridei Chronicles etc). They have the Druid and fey aspect in them and my favorite author of all. Romance for sure - not YA but not graphic either.

message 8: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments Joseph wrote: "I'm currently in the middle of a romance that I am really enjoying. It doesn't have the more traditional vampires, werewolves, etc. of PNR, this one stars characters with psychic abilities. The ..."

Jayne Ann Krentz also writes futuristic romances under the name Jayne Castle. Some of her contemporary novels under her JAK name are about the Arcane Society, too.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

The study series is really good, and have some romance in it..not the most romance but really good books..the glass series are also a really good series, and have more romance.

The study series:
Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder

The glass series:
Storm Glass (Glass, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Sea Glass (Glass, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Spy Glass (Glass, #3) by Maria V. Snyder

There is also the Black Dagger brother hood by J.R. Ward. Really good, wich alot of romance ;)

Georgina Kincaid series by Richelle Mead ,is one of my favourite series and has alot of romance:

Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead Succubus on Top (Georgina Kincaid, #2) by Richelle Mead Succubus Dreams (Georgina Kincaid, #3) by Richelle Mead Succubus Heat (Georgina Kincaid, #4) by Richelle Mead Succubus Shadows (Georgina Kincaid, #5) by Richelle Mead Succubus Revealed (Georgina Kincaid, #6) by Richelle Mead

And there are many more... ;P

message 10: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 209 comments YA, I would go with VAmpire Academy by Richelle MEad
Adult - PSY/Changling series by Nalnin Singh

you also have the Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward

The Dark Hunter Series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Lords of the Underworld by Gena Showalter

so many to choose for from!

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  G (paranormalhaven) | 81 comments Angel Slayer by Michelle Hauf is such a great book. I wish more people would read it!

message 12: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 209 comments Paranormal wrote: "Angel Slayer by Michelle Hauf is such a great book. I wish more people would read it!"

I never heard of it, I will check it out.

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  G (paranormalhaven) | 81 comments I never heard of it until someone suggested it to me then I was lucky enough to win a copy that same week. I'll be getting the next book in the series when it comes out in February.

message 14: by ஐAndreaஐ (last edited Oct 01, 2010 08:09AM) (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments Is really all depends what your looking for.

My Favorite Series is:
Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost

These are also great series (1st books):

Adult:
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) by Karen Chance Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent

Teen:

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) by Rachel Caine City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

message 15: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (lush26) | 18 comments i have tons of good books for you to get lost in. add me as a friend and check out my shelves :)

follow me on twitter lush26
lushbookreviews.wordpress.com

Martina the Book Fairy (book_fairy) | 442 comments Hi Taylor,

From your bookshelf, it looks like you're reading a lot of young adult urban fantasy & romance. I think you should try reading the Soul Screamers series by Rachel Vincent. They're about a teenage bean sidhe (banshee) and are the first YA series to REALLY impress me since Mead's Vampire Academy series. I highly recommend them!

My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers, Prequel) by Rachel Vincent My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) by Rachel Vincent My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers, #2) by Rachel Vincent My Soul to Keep (Soul Screamers, #3) by Rachel Vincent

If you're looking for vampires, perhaps try the Morganville Vampire series by Rachel Caine. IMO, they aren't as fabulous as VA or Soul Screamers, but they're still a pretty darn good read.

message 17: by Cona (new)

Cona Hartwig | 49 comments I just finished You Slay Me (Aisling Grey Guardian, #1) by Katie MacAlister , Fire Me Up (Aisling Grey Guardian, #2) by Katie MacAlister , Light My Fire (Aisling Grey Guardian, #3) by Katie MacAlister , Holy Smokes (Aisling Grey Guardian, #4) by Katie MacAlister . I loved it. Aisling Grey is a Guardian, demon lord and a wyren (Dragon) mate. It was funny with lots of romance.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 429 comments I love the aisling grey series! Drake is yummy and Jim is hilarious. Gabriel has his own series and aisling and Drake and Jim are in it as well!

message 19: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Smith (kathi7472) | 3 comments Taylor wrote: "Hey guys, I'm bored to death... do any of you guys know any really good books?
I don't care what it's about- Angels, Vampires, Warewolf guys just throw anything unreal my way. But please, it has ..."

Hi Taylor, my name is Katherine. If you haven't read the "Brotherhood of the Blood" series by Kathryn Smith I strongly recommend them. I'm in love with all the characters in all 5 books. It really set the bar for me though, I can't find a new series(hot vampire world) to escape to. Be Mine Tonight (Brotherhood of Blood, #1) by Kathryn Smith Let the Night Begin (Brotherhood of Blood, #4) by Kathryn Smith Taken by the Night (Brotherhood of Blood, #3) by Kathryn Smith Night of the Huntress (Brotherhood of Blood, #2) by Kathryn Smith Night After Night (Brotherhood of the Blood, #5) by Kathryn Smith

message 20: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (TaylorKat3) | 16 comments Oh wow! Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate your help and all the books/ series, sound awesome! I'll just have to check out wheter their available at the library (I'm crossing my fingers that they are)! Thanks again! :)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I would recommend trying these:
Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville, #1) by Carrie Vaughn The Morganville Vampires Volume 1 (The Morganville Vampires, #1-2) by Rachel Caine Existence (Existence Trilogy, #1) by Abbi Glines My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) by Rachel Vincent City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare Beg for Mercy (Cambion, #1) by Shannon Dermott

message 22: by Kris (new)

Kris (marketing_gurl) | 23 comments A few of my faves are free for a few days only...until Saturday night, I think. Might as well grab them while they're free. ;-)

Enchantment by Charlotte Abel http://amzn.to/ChannieJosh

and the sequel that was just published like a week ago

Taken by Charlotte Abel http://amzn.to/ChannieSeries2

message 23: by GoodGlory (new)

GoodGlory (jimmiesgurl85) | 15 comments Falling Under Falling Under (Falling Under, #1) by Gwen Hayes
Dreaming Awake Dreaming Awake (Falling Under, #2) by Gwen Hayes

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather Boustead (ReflectionsofaBookWorm) | 230 comments I just finished the hundred thousand kingdoms such a good book! Thought I would share :)

Heather-
http://bookwormrflects8.blogspot.de/2...

message 25: by Christal (new)

Christal | 83 comments I really enjoyed the romance in the Night Huntress series that was mentioned above and in the Stormwalker series by Allyson James.

Stormwalker by Allyson James Firewalker (Stormwalker, #2) by Allyson James Shadow Walker (Stormwalker, #3) by Allyson James Nightwalker (Stormwalker, #4) by Allyson James

message 26: by Abby (last edited Apr 09, 2012 10:11AM) (new)

Abby  | 353 comments I know it's not paranormal or UF but Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard is actually a really good story... It was once a fanfic but it's been completely edited and you can't even tell they're based on fandom characters... I really enjoyed it more then the unpublished version...

message 27: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 73 comments Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout White Hot Kiss (The Dark Elements, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Something Witchy This Way Comes (Something Witchy, #1) by Veronica Blade My Wolf's Bane (Shapes of Autumn, #1) by Veronica Blade Prince of Wolves (The Grey Wolves, #1) by Quinn Loftis Elfin (The Elfin, #1) by Quinn Loftis Captured (The Captive, #1) by Erica Stevens Bound (The Crystor, #1) by C.K. Bryant are books I like that you might want to try.

message 28: by Josephine (new)

Josephine McNabb | 17 comments Try the Shifter series by Rachel Vincent, Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews.. Different take on vamps and the shifters are yummy. Or you could try my own book Fire and Fangs