Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Bary's Late September and I really must get back to school

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments Body Work: Sara Paretsky
Each book, a bit more of Paretsky's politics intrude, but I mostly don't mind because V.I. is such an interesting character toread, and because I tend to learn stuff from the objects of Paretsky's rants. Body work Takes on some of the human toll of Iraq, and as an added dimension, forces VI to look at herself, and her impact on those around her. The mystery is complex, the book multi faceted, and Paretsky does a masterful job of pulling it all together. (A-)

Dexter is Delicious: Jeff Lindsay
Who ever thought that chopping up your enemies could be such a riot? Dex is working so hard at his human qualities, but they kep getting in hte way of what he really wants. (A-)

The Blade Itself: Marcus Sakey
A debut novel, and a very strong one.
There are so many degrees of a life falling apart. Danny Carter thought he had seen enough of them, and put his life together only to have his past catch up, and find himself forced to learn where his limits were. (B+)

Lost Empire: Clive Cussler
Cussler is another author that considers himself a brand, and hires other authors to write his books in a style that vague resembles his original work. Not that Lost Empire is a bad work, but it is not a great one, and not the reason I have bought Cussler's in the past. This brand has slipped from my "buy new" list. (B)

Dog Tags: David Rosenfelt
Unlike humorous authors that start strong and seem to flame out, Rodenfelt has honed his craft and gotten better over the course of his work. He does have this dog hang-up, but uses it well. His m/c is a reluctant lawyer named Andy Carpenter who, in legal thriller tradition, heads into life or death defenses hoping to figure out how to defend his clients. When possible, of course, his clients are dogs. (B+)

Little Green Men: Christopher Buckley
If anybody has "inside the beltway" satire down pat, it is Buckley. His Washingtonians are self serving, greedy and cynical. Into this world, which we migth see every day in the news, he adds alien abduction, just for the fun of it. Trust me, it is fun. (B+)

Every Patient tells a Story: Lisa Sanders
Dr Sanders is the medical consultant for House and writes the diagnostic column for the NY Times. The book is on diagnostic technique, and how your Dr treats you. (B)

Cold Fire: Dean Koontz
I was loaned a few Koontz books this month, so while a departure for me, I'll read through them. As expected, this was a vaguely supernatural story. A manis on a mission to save people, and why he does this becomes the novel. (B)

The Key to Midnight: Dean Koontz
Originally written under a pseudonym, this is not like any genre that Koontz has otherwise done. Think of it as his version of "Seven Days in May" (B)

Spare Parts: Rick Hanson
A slasher sort of tale, but in the manner of a caper. This guy could grow on me. (B)

Hideaway: Dean Koontz
A more classic Koontz tale, an antique dealer dies in a cold creek and is brought back to life, but with a hitch hiker from the land of the dead. (B)

Still Life: Rick Hanson
A caper, older variety (1994) and while not hilarious, it had a few good moments. Hero is an ex cop ex marine sculptor who tends to find trouble. (B)

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments I thought BODY WORK was first rate when I read it. Paretsky seems to get better with each new V.I. book. I finally picked up a copy of DOG TAGS for a good price and am looking forward to reading it!

message 3: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments I have Dog Tags on reserve, but I'm not very high on the list. Could use a fun book right about now.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14981 comments Barry:
I am in the midst of Body Work right now (on audio, so a slower than usual process) and thoroughly enjoying it. I agree that Paretsky's politics are present, and in the last few books she has been quite topical in the statements of her opinions. When I notice them, it is more of an acknowledgement of her intent rather than an unwelcome intrusion. It probably doesn't hurt that I agree with her most of the time, but in general it doesn't jar you out of the story because it is presented so well as being VI's personality. ;)

Barry wrote: "Body Work: Sara Paretsky
Each book, a bit more of Paretsky's politics intrude, but I mostly don't mind because V.I. is such an interesting character toread, and because I tend to learn stuff from ..."

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Great list Barry!

Marcy...if you're looking for a fun one, the new Spencer Quinn is out: TO FETCH A THIEF, A CHET & BERNIE MYSTERY. Not sure if you have tried this series, it is written from Chet (the dog) perspective. Really fun read!

message 6: by Barry (last edited Oct 02, 2010 12:20PM) (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments TO FETCH A THIEF, A CHET & BERNIE MYSTERY. Not sure if you have tried this series, it is written from Chet (the dog) perspective. Really fun read! ...
Looks interesting.

message 7: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments To Fetch A Thief does look good! Thanks for the suggestion.

message 8: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3792 comments why are you going back to school, barry? to work on your spelling?

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Sherry wrote: "why are you going back to school, barry? to work on your spelling?"

When I was in junior high, I often changed the spelling of my name. I was also lucky enough to have an i in some of those spellings and could experiment with different "dots" for the i. You can try Bari or Barrie, too.
SmileyCentral.com

message 10: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments The spelling is hopeless. The thread is just channeling Rod Stewart. School is where I teach. I'm writing my first "soft skills" course. (How does that make me feel?) Give me machinery any day.

message 11: by Ann (last edited Oct 02, 2010 12:44PM) (new)

I have a training course (software upgrade) that needs to be written this weekend too and unfortunately the IT guys at work didn't get my copy of Captivate software to help ease the process loaded on my laptop yesterday. :(
I will be scrambling Monday and Tuesday to complete it. Good Luck with yours!
... picturing what soft skills are being promoted at the power plant ;)

Barry wrote: "The spelling is hopeless. The thread is just channeling Rod Stewart. School is where I teach. I'm writing my first "soft skills" course. (How does that make me feel?) Give me machinery any day."

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8263 comments Sherry wrote: "why are you going back to school, barry? to work on your spelling?"

Good one, Sherry!

message 13: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments picturing what soft skills are being promoted at the power plant...
Critiquing skills, the art of telling somebody that they suck.

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14981 comments Ahhh! this revelation should add interest to the comments on this thread! ;)

Barry wrote: "picturing what soft skills are being promoted at the power plant...
Critiquing skills, the art of telling somebody that they suck."

message 15: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3792 comments Barry wrote: "picturing what soft skills are being promoted at the power plant...

rofl. sounds like fun.

message 16: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments "picturing what soft skills are being promoted at the power plant...

I guess an unhappy employee at a nuclear plant is everyone's nightmare.

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8263 comments Daniel wrote: "
I guess an unhappy employee at a nuclear plant is everyone's nightmare. ..."

Good point. I can't decide which is worse, a disgruntled employee at a nuclear power plant or an incompetent one....

message 18: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 180 comments Melodie wrote: "I thought BODY WORK was first rate when I read it. Paretsky seems to get better with each new V.I. book. I finally picked up a copy of DOG TAGS for a good price and am looking forward to reading it!"

Gosh, I can't figure this out. The last one of hers I read I thought was awful and vowed never to pick up another one. I need to look it up. Can't remember the title.

message 19: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments My friends have had a very mixed reaction to the non-VI books. I loved them all. Before Bleeding Kansas, nobody would believe me about the red heifer.

message 20: by Ann (last edited Oct 05, 2010 09:34PM) (new)

I was well under way in Bleeding Kansas (and really enjoying it) and came across a serious spoiler. I put it aside until my disgruntlement could subside, someday will pick it back up again. The Red Heifer was interesting and new to me with this book.
I have enjoyed both the VI books and the non series Paretsky books too. Writing in an Age of Silence was another favorite.

Cathy - was it Hardball that you refer to? It had connections to Civil Rights and VI's father. I enjoyed it, but we all have our own opinions.

Barry wrote: "My friends have had a very mixed reaction to the non-VI books. I loved them all. Before Bleeding Kansas, nobody would believe me about the red heifer."

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14981 comments Carol:
Barry can close his ears (!)
I keep thinking about Homer Simpson! ;)

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Good point. I can't decide which is worse, a disgruntled employee at a nuclear power plant or an incompetent one.... ."

message 22: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 180 comments Ann wrote: "Cathy - was it Hardball that you refer to? It had connections to Civil Rights and VI' father. I enjoyed it, but we all have our own opinions... i>

Ann, it was Firesale or something like that.

message 23: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments ...I keep thinking about Homer Simpson! ;)

Doh!

message 24: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3644 comments Cathy (Catsluvbooks) wrote: "Ann wrote: "Cathy - was it Hardball that you refer to? It had connections to Civil Rights and VI' father. I enjoyed it, but we all have our own opinions... i>

Ann, it was Firesale or something l..."

I really liked FIRESALE.