Love Inspired Historicals discussion

What would you like to tell a Love Inspired editor?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 115 (115 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by JanetTronstad (last edited Sep 30, 2010 11:45PM) (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
In the near future (not sure when yet), Emily Rodmell, one of the Love Inspired editors, is going to visit our Goodreads discussion board and interact with us. She'd like to know what we'd like to see in upcoming Love Inspired books (from all the lines). So let's post our comments so we'll be ready when she gets here.

message 2: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Oh cool thats good.
I would love to see some other locations for Love inspired or Historical. I was on the international writers post after they had a conference in sydney and there were comments there that we would love to see Australia used in settings and other countries.

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrie) | 735 comments Those Love inspired historicals got great covers .. How they picked out the good pictures from any artists that relates with this story of the book. Like Victoria Bylin's book Wyoming Lawman" it is perfect match for this book title and the story.

message 4: by Heidi (last edited Oct 01, 2010 08:01AM) (new)

Heidi | 985 comments I particularly like series books, books set in America in the 1800's and early 1900's, books about immigrants, pioneers, the Amish, mail order brides, and the upper crust Victorians. I dislike war era books, or books with murders, or too many deaths. I confess I prefer my books on the lighter side. I want and need conflict in the books of course, but I prefer the conflicts to come from classism, love struggles, struggles with the elements, or struggles getting to their destination (such as boat trips to America, wagon travel, etc.), solving problems involving going against the rules of the times, etc. Please understand though that I understand that many of the LIH readers like what I dislike. I do not wish to disparage their likes or wants in a book, or the books already writen with these elements in them, rather I am only trying to impart what I like seeing in the line. I really appreciate you taking the time to read my input, and thanks for coming to our board! :)

Oh, one small request. The inserts for the LIH and LI book clubs are quite difficult to read around. If you try and get them out they either leave a part of the insert in the book, or ruin a part of the book. Could you please find a different way to put them in the books that is easy to remove, or perhaps put them at the back of the book, after all of the pages? Thanks!

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily Rodmell | 13 comments Hello, everyone. I'm Emily Rodmell, assistant editor for Love Inspired Historical. Janet asked me to drop by and talk with you all. I'd love to hear what you all love or don't love about LIH and what you'e like to see more of.

To answer the questions that have been asked:

AusJenny, we do allow foreign settings in LIH and would publish a great Australia story if someone sent one in.

Terri, I'm glad you like the covers. For many of them, the art department hires models and takes the pictures themselves. That's why they can match them to the book so well.

Heidi, Thanks for your thoughts on what works and doesn't work for you. It's always gret to see what readers are thinking.

Emily Rodmell
Assistant Editor
Love Inspired, Love Inspired Suspense, Love Inspired Historical.

message 6: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (JillianHart) Emily, I'm a terrible question asker , so I just thought I would say welcome. It's great to see you here. : )

message 7: by Love Inspired (new)

Love Inspired Books (loveinspiredbooks) | 75 comments Hi Emily! So glad to have you here answering questions.

message 8: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Thanks Emily, I really hope someone will write an aussie story.

In the LI range do you have books from other countries besides the states?

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments I agree about the book inserts...they are rather annoying. Although, I understand why you put them in there.

message 10: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I agree also with the inserts. I notice they are not in all books. I notice also another publisher puts one at the back of the book with a survey about the book and also an option to join the club.

message 11: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (JillianHart) Emily, my mom really enjoys the in-line continuities, like the Alaskan Bride Rush currently going on in Love Inspired. She gets very excited and can't wait for the next book in the series. She would like to know if there are more coming out in 2011 in all the lines? Will there be more historical continuities? And how do you go about deciding on what a specific continuity will be about? (That's a lot of questions, suddenly. Sorry!)

message 12: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Oh Jillian great questions. It also makes me want to buy the series.

message 13: by JanetTronstad (new)

Actually, I'm curious, too, about who/how Love Inspired comes up with the location. etc. for the continuity series. I really like that they are doing some contemporary and historical ones that are together.

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily Rodmell | 13 comments Good morning everyone.

Inserts are only placed in books that are sold at retail. They usually aren't in book club books (because why would they want to ask you to become a member if you alread are one). So that's why you'll find some books without them.

Continuities are my specialty, so I can definitly answer those questions. I'm the continuity coordinator for all three Love Inspired lines. We have some exciting new series coming up. For LIH, we have Alaskan Brides (the prequel to LI's Alaskan Bride Rush). That starts in April 2011. For LIS, we have Texas Ranger Justice starting in January. And in LI, we're in the middle of the Alaskan Bride Rush, and our next series will start in July 2011. It's called Rocky Mountain Heirs and follows six cousins who have to return to their small Colorado hometown for a year in order to collect their inheritance.

We do one continuity a year for each line, so three total. In general, it's my job to come up with the concept and setting for the series. I'm just about to start working on the 2012 LIH idea, and we're actually gong to separate that one from the LI continuity, so if you guys have any ideas for settings or time periods that you're dying to see in LIH, let me know. :)

Emily

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily Rodmell | 13 comments As to AusJenny's question about different settings. We generally stick to the U.S. for LI and LIS, though very occasionally we do books set outside. Susan May Warren has an upcoming series in LIS that's foreign-set. But in LIH, we definitly have books set outside the U.S. Off the top of my head, I can think of ones we had set in England, Scotland and Africa. And we're open to more.

message 16: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 518 comments The Alaskan Brides LIH continuity series sounds wonderful. As far as ideas for the future, what about a series around the time of the Civil War? Several of us in this group seem to like that time period. The Depression, the American Revolution, or the Roaring Twenties could also be interesting. I really enjoy the LIH's because historical fiction is my favorite genre, especially if it's Christian.

message 17: by Heidi (last edited Oct 03, 2010 04:38PM) (new)

Heidi | 985 comments A mail order brides series, Victorian era series about women who leave their posh life to lead lives in different situations for love, a series about the Pioneer era and one settlement in particular and do stories about the residents there, a series about different states and the women and men in them during the 1800 and early 1900's, a series about the Harvey Girls, an immigrant series about immigrants from different countries and how they find love and a new life in America, those are some LIH series I would love to see :)

message 18: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments Hi Emily, Welcome to Goodreads! How about a continuity centered around women in medicine? For the contemporary part, the six stories could take place in the same hospital. Continuity elements could include a sick child awaiting a transplant,a hospital chaplain with a faith crisis.

For LIH, I'm imagining three sisters: a midwife, a nurse, a lady doctor with a real medical degree. The LIH series could end with the lady doc founding the hospital where the contemporary series takes place. It could be named "Sisters of Mercy" after the three heroines. For the continuity element, how about an epidemic? Just thinking out loud...

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 518 comments Heidi and Victoria, all of your ideas are great! They all interest me.

message 20: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Barbara wrote: "The Alaskan Brides LIH continuity series sounds wonderful. As far as ideas for the future, what about a series around the time of the Civil War? Several of us in this group seem to like that time p..."

I'm with you Barbara! Even though I am learning to really enjoy some of the LI books, I will always be partial to the LIH line :)

message 21: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Barbara wrote: "Heidi and Victoria, all of your ideas are great! They all interest me."

Thanks :) I like that everyone is discussing what they would like to see in the LIH and LI lines. It's exciting to think of all of the possibilities!

message 22: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments A series starting with the maybe the oregon trail. A bit like Valaries Hansen's one where she featured the wagon train then the next was set where they arrived.
But if you featured the wagon trail and maybe feature on particular trail and on different people on the trail, like the servant girl who is along as a nanny to the children of the wagons. you may have the rich spoilt brat, (not a fan of the socialites) along with the poorer family moving to a better life so they think.
There are many different reasons people leave some may be escaping a hard life or a unwanted romance or just moving for adventure. There may be one lady wanting to minister to the indians. (Of course there could be an indian adventure in the train) I also heard the trains that set aside sunday to worship and didn't travel had less incidents with Indian attacks than the ones who didn't.
It could also be traveling from England to US in early days and the different ones and there stories and could all be set on the same boat.
I like the mail order brides but there have been quite a few books of this sort recently.

message 23: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Kingery (goodreadscomlaurie_kingery) | 137 comments Victoria wrote: "Hi Emily, Welcome to Goodreads! How about a continuity centered around women in medicine? For the contemporary part, the six stories could take place in the same hospital. Continuity elements could..."Ooooh, good idea Vickie. Since my "other life" is at the ER, would love to get in on that!

message 24: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 466 comments Hi Emily, great to see you at Goodreads! Love all the excellent story suggestions for the LI lines, especially those for LIH.

message 25: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Hey Janet good to see you here do you have any books coming out soon?

message 26: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah-banana) | 85 comments Okay, I'm headed to bed, so this will be short and I'll be back tomorrow hopefully, but I wholeheartedly agree with Heidi! I want a mail order brides continuity in the LIH!!!! I LOVED Janet's The Substitute Bride, it was my first LIH and got me hooked. More, more, encore, encore!!

message 27: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah-banana) | 85 comments Victoria!! Your ER books....where are they??? I want them NOW!! ; )

I would totally read 'em!

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments I like the Mail ordered Bride series idea and Victoria's idea. Civil War or Regency eras are always a favorite of mine too!

message 29: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I am always so impressed with the LI and LIH. I can't think of anything to suggest, I love it all, and I have about a stack of thirty to get to as it is, hehe. :) To all involved I say thanks a million, and keep up the good work!!! :)

message 30: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Hannah wrote: "Okay, I'm headed to bed, so this will be short and I'll be back tomorrow hopefully, but I wholeheartedly agree with Heidi! I want a mail order brides continuity in the LIH!!!! I LOVED Janet's The S..."

Glad you and Jen like the mail order bride stories too :) I need to order The Substitute Bride Hannah, it looks so good! It never came to my store, so sadly I missed out on it! :(

message 31: by JanetTronstad (new)

Oh, Heidi, you do need to read The Substitute Bride by Janet -- I liked it alot, too.

message 32: by Emily (new)

Emily Rodmell | 13 comments Thanks for all the great input everyone. I'll add your ideas to the list that I'm considering. And while you've given me more ideas than I could ever use in continuities, we'll definitly keep these genres in mind as we contract new authors. And maybe you've given some of our current authors who frequent Goodreads some good ideas for future series of their own.

I do love mail order bride stories as much as you all seem too. In fact, I have one mail order bride book in the schedule for next May from new author Debra Ullrick called The Unexpected Bride. I hope you'll all check it out.

With LIH going to 4 books a month in January, we hope to have lots more variety for you to choose from.

Emily

message 33: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "Oh, Heidi, you do need to read The Substitute Bride by Janet -- I liked it alot, too."

That one is on my TBR list for sure Janet! :) I have been hinting to family about book store gift certificates for Christmas ;)

message 34: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Hansen (goodreadscomvalerie_hansen) | 111 comments Hi, Emily!
And thanks to Ausjenny for mentioning one of my historicals for LI. I happen to love the American West. Except for missing the creature comforts of this current time, I think I'd fit right in back then. Except I'd have to hire a cook to keep the wood-fired stove at the right temps. :)

Now that I live in Arkansas I often think of the Trail of Tears as a basis for a series. I also like the idea of immigrants learning about living in America, partly because we recently took a trip to Norway and saw the places where my Father was raised. Imagining the courage it took to leave everything behind and come to a new land is truly inspirational.

Well, back to work!
Valerie Hansen

message 35: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments I think Heidi and I must read a lot of the same books, I too would like to see victorian era -mail order brides too are really good and what if they were on trail of tears going by wagon train to small commnuity that needs women to help men in their lives. I read most every day and have read one that was about the Harvey girls which was interesting.

message 36: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah-banana) | 85 comments Oh goodness, Heidi....you NEED to read it! I bought it on my Kindle...first book I ever bought on it and do not regret it AT all!! The only thing I regret is that I don't have it in book form...if I came across it, I would most definitely buy it : )

Fabulous, pure genius!

message 37: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Paula wrote: "I think Heidi and I must read a lot of the same books, I too would like to see victorian era -mail order brides too are really good and what if they were on trail of tears going by wagon train to s..."

You have great ideas Paula, and your right, it does sound like we read and enjoy many of the same eras in books! :) It's nice to meet you :)

message 38: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Valerie wrote: "Hi, Emily!
And thanks to Ausjenny for mentioning one of my historicals for LI. I happen to love the American West. Except for missing the creature comforts of this current time, I think I'd fit r..."

Valerie, perhaps with your history, and your travel background, you could be the one to start the LIH immigrants series sometime in the near future! :)

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments I love Irish immigrant stories...maybe because I am part irish. But, there is just something about that culture(and the accents!)

message 40: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Hansen (goodreadscomvalerie_hansen) | 111 comments Heidi, then you should love my next LI historical, RESCUING THE HEIRESS, that comes out in Feb. 2011! The fireman hero and his mother are very Irish. It's set in San Francisco in 1906.

And Jennifer - as for being the one to begin a series, that's not up to me, it's up to my editors. So, from your lips to their ears. :)

Blessings,
Valerie Hansen

message 41: by Emily (new)

Emily Rodmell | 13 comments Funny you guys should mention Irish immigrants. Our upcoming LIS continuity series which I haven't even contracted authors for yet is going to center around an Irish family of police officers in New England. It's present day suspense, but who knows, maybe this family could lend itself to some historical ancestors.
:)
Emily

message 42: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Oh cool I do enjoy the LIS line also. Just cant keep up with so many books and it takes a couple of months to get to australia.

message 43: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Valerie wrote: "Heidi, then you should love my next LI historical, RESCUING THE HEIRESS, that comes out in Feb. 2011! The fireman hero and his mother are very Irish. It's set in San Francisco in 1906.

And Jenn..."

Oooh! That sounds like a great book Valerie! I will be looking forward to reading it! :)

message 44: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah-banana) | 85 comments Emily,
It's set in New England!? They're never set up here!! Lol...awesome! I'm super excited about those ones, folks! They should definitely come to Vermont....

: )

message 45: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 518 comments Valerie, I'll be watching for your book. It sounds great!

message 46: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments Emily wrote: "Funny you guys should mention Irish immigrants. Our upcoming LIS continuity series which I haven't even contracted authors for yet is going to center around an Irish family of police officers in Ne..."

:) I like it!

message 47: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (texasaggieteacher) | 4102 comments Valerie wrote: "Heidi, then you should love my next LI historical, RESCUING THE HEIRESS, that comes out in Feb. 2011! The fireman hero and his mother are very Irish. It's set in San Francisco in 1906.

And Jenn..."

oooh I want to read it! lol

message 48: by Crystal (new)

Crystal  | 24 comments I love Irish, Scottish and Swedish immigrant stories, and loved Robin Lee Hatcher's Coming to America series, so I would love a series in LIH like that--"Coming to America." I also love historical romances that have Native American scenarios in them with an interaction between those homesteading and who lived here first.

I truly love historical romance to read, so I have liked any era and love it that the LIH series includes a wide variety of settings and time periods. I'm looking forward to Susan May Warren's series because The Heirs of Anton that she and Susan Downs published with Barbour was a favorite of mine.

I would love any of the series to be set in Savannah, Georgia. I think that area is very romantic and it is our most historical city. It is artsy, too, rich with culture and the South. Plus, the food! It has a bit of small town "feel" with neighborhoods and the extension of the islands close by, too. But from LIH, to LI to LIS, I could see any of those set there.

message 49: by Emily (new)

Emily Rodmell | 13 comments Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. I'd love to hear more about what books really resonated with you. What are some of your favorite LIH books and why?

message 50: by Heidi (last edited Oct 06, 2010 06:46PM) (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Emily wrote: "Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. I'd love to hear more about what books really resonated with you. What are some of your favorite LIH books and why?"

I've loved Jillian Hart's Button's and Bobbins series. The characters, the town, and supporting characters, are just described so well! By the time you are finished with one of the books you feel as if you know the characters personally, and have been to the town!

The Brides of Amish Country by Patricia Davids, especially the first book, Katie's Redemption, is another favorite. As well as the series Hannah's Daughter's by Emma Miller (another Amish Series), and the first book Courting Ruth, was wonderful. I know these aren't LIH books, but they feel historical, and I thought they were worth a mention :) I just love the way these books make you feel. They have a real homey nature about them. The stories are also great. It's interesting to see how the struggle between modern day things and traditional Amish ways are resolved.

I also loved A Bride of Honor by Ruth Axtell Morren, which wasn't classified as an LIH book, but it was inspirational and historical, and a Steeple Hill book, lol, so I think it qualifies ;). This book kept me on my toes and guessing as to how the story would turn out, and I loved that.

The After the Storm LIH series books, High Plains Bride by Valerie Hansen, Heartland Wedding by Renee Ryan, and Kansas Courtship by Victoria Bylin, were each great books, and a very memorable and enjoyable series as well. The stories tied together so well, even though each was by a different author. I couldn't wait to see what would happen in the next book, and that is really what makes for a good series to me :) I wanted this series to continue. There were so many more characters I wanted to find out about and see what happened to them!

The Women of Swan's Nest, and the first book in the series, The Maverick Preacher By Victoria Bylin, was a book that really made you think about the life of women in those days, and in particular the choices a single woman had. I'm really looking forward to reading her newest in that series, Wyoming Lawman, too!

Winnie Griggs book, Hand Me Down Family, really moved me as well. It is such a heartwarming story about what family really means.

Second Chance Bride by Jane Myers Perrine was a book I really enjoyed, as I love stories about second chances in life, and seeing the process of a life in transition.

I also like Janet Tronstad's Dry Creek LIH books. She really makes a book come alive!

I love so many of the LIH and LI books, and authors, that I could go on and on! These are just a few that were favorites though :)

« previous 1 3