SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Retired Topics > Science Fiction challenge nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith You can nominate 2 tasks each week for three weeks, until we have 25.
Week 1: 1-8 October
Week 2: 9-15 October
Week 3: 16-23 October
Week 4: We will figure it out when we get there :)

Tasks can be anything involving within the science fiction genre, or non-fiction about science fiction: the different sf sub-genres (cyberpunk, space opera, post-apocalyptic, steampunk, alternate history etc.) as well as checking out the various sci fi conventions (time travel, parallel universes, aliens, viruses, etc.). There can also be genre mashups (sci fi and fantasy, horror, crime/mystery), sci fi takes on fantasy creatures like vampires, and of course sci fi award winning novels.

message 2: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I have hardly read any science fiction novels. But the one I read recently I loved! So this will hopefully hold more such gems :)

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I love sf, but I never read as much of it as the die-hard fans, so this is a good chance for me to get better acquainted with the genre :)

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith My two nominations for the week:
- Sci fi based on mythology
- Biopunk. See the definition and book examples here.

message 5: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
My nr 1 - Read a book classified as Steampunk. Definition and examples here.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

So Im really new with Sci Fi, what counts and what doesnt?

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Answered your question on the questions thread Niecole :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

thanks Lauren :)
I went on Wikepedia to look at Sci Fi to hehe

message 9: by Lu (last edited Oct 01, 2010 08:41AM) (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
2. Read a Sci-Fi Thriller. Like Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

message 10: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2453 comments Mod
Read some Space Opera.

message 11: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Crusader wrote: "Read some Space Opera."

Well now i'll have to :)

message 12: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Update:

1. Sci fi based on mythology
2. Biopunk
3. Read a book classified as Steampunk
4. Read a Sci-Fi Thriller
5. Read some Space Opera

message 13: by Crusader (new)

This is more specific, but since it's viewed as the most scientifically accurate sci-fi novels: Read Contact by Carl Sagan.

Read something by Isaac Asimov.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Crusader, the Asimov one is ok, because he at least has a lot of novels, but I think it's unfair to stipulate a specific novel for a task. Imagine it was a vampire romance :)

However, you can nominate hard sf as a task, or something from a specific list of hard sf novels, if you want to go for scientific accuracy. Unfortunately, you'll have to nominate that (or the Asimov) next week, as everyone is only allowed two nominations a week at the moment.

message 15: by Crusader (new)

Well, Asimov can count as my second nomination then. Hard sci-fi wasn't really the goal, but that's actually a good one too.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Ok, cool :)

message 17: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Update:

2. Biopunk
5. Read some Space Opera
6. Read something by Isaac Asimov

message 18: by Lu (last edited Oct 10, 2010 06:27AM) (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Week 2

1. Read a book that has a Alien or Aliens (people from another planet, from space) of some kind in it

Examples:
I Am Number Four
Aliens

2. Read a Sci-Fi Fantasy

Examples:
The Color of Magic
A Game of Thrones
The Lord of the Rings

message 19: by Crusader (new)

I don't think there's a sub-genre that includes fantasy. To me something is either sci-fi OR fantasy. The examples provided all fall into the fantasy genre to me.

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I've heard of a sci-fantasy sub-genre, and there are a few books I might include in it, but it's difficult to define. However, I have to agree that all the examples (or at least the first and the third; I haven't read the second) definitely fall into the fantasy genre and are not sf at all. At most, Twoflower's camera in the Pratchett novel has a touch of science to it, but that's not enough to make it sci-fantasy.

Is there a clear, workable definition we can use?

message 21: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
This is what i could find:

Fantasy is closely associated with science fiction, and many writers have worked in both genres, while writers such as Anne McCaffrey and Marion Zimmer Bradley have written works that appear to blur the boundary between the two related genres.[65] The authors' professional organization is called the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA).[66] SF conventions routinely have programming on fantasy topics,[67][68][69] and fantasy authors such as J. K. Rowling have won the highest honor within the science fiction field, the Hugo Award.[70] In general, science fiction is the literature of things that might someday be possible, and fantasy is the literature of things that are inherently impossible.[13] Magic and mythology are popular themes in fantasy.[71] Some narratives are described as being essentially science fiction but "with fantasy elements". The term "science fantasy" is sometimes used to describe such material.

And this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_...

If you guys don't think its feasible, I'll nominate something else :)

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I have a problem with the definition that sci fi is the literature of things that might someday be possible. For example, one sf convention is FTL (faster-than-light) travel, which comes up in some space operas. I've heard that, as far as we know, this is impossible. I might be wrong, but my point is that sci fi doesn't always make use of exact science and often uses things that are in fact impossible; most people don't know enough science to know what's possible anyway. Rather sf explains things in a logical way based on basic physical laws. Examples from the Wikipedia page you linked Lu: "teleportation by matter-transmitter-beam is science fiction, teleportation by incantation is fantasy. A hand-held cloaking device that confers invisibility is science fiction; a hand-held Ring of Power that confers invisibility is fantasy. Mind-to-mind communication can be "psionics", or it can be an ancient elvish art."
Another problem is alternative history sci fi, which is inherently impossible because those events have already occurred.

I think the distinction between sf and fantasy comes down to the way things are explained rather than whether or not they are impossible.

I wouldn't say science fantasy doesn't exist, but it might be that you can only know what genre it is AFTER you read it and know how things are explained. One of the books I read that I think falls into that category took place in a future society on another planet and included space travel (sci fi) but at the end the main character was revealed to be a mythological creature without any explanation as to how this was possible (fantasy). His Dark Materials mixes science (theoretical physics, electricity, etc.) with fantasy (daemons, angels, souls), but that's not clear from the blurb.

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith My nominations for week 2:

1. Cyberpunk

2. Short stories. SF is a big short story genre, with some of the most exciting, inventive tales out there, so read a collection of sf short stories.
Examples:
Year's Best SF 14 edited by David Hartwell (these come out every year, and they're pretty cheap)
Burning Chrome by William Gibson (includes Johnny Mnemonic)
Rewired: The Post-Cyberpunk Anthology

message 24: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "I have a problem with the definition that sci fi is the literature of things that might someday be possible. For example, one sf convention is FTL (faster-than-light) travel, which comes up in some..."

Yea i understand that it might be hard to define :)
Mmmm will think of a new nomination :))

message 25: by Crusader (new)

Darn Lauren, sci-fi short stories was going to be one of my nominations.

message 26: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
My new nomination then:

Read a Sci-Fi dystopia (As fictional dystopias are often set in a future projected virtual time and/or space involving technological innovations not accessible in actual present reality, dystopian fiction is often classified generically as science fiction, a subgenre of speculative fiction, such as The Giver and The Hunger Games.):

The Hunger Games
The Giver

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Crusader wrote: "Darn Lauren, sci-fi short stories was going to be one of my nominations."

Bugger, if I'd known I would have spent my nomination on something else :)

message 28: by Crusader (new)

Well you could always PM me one of yours to nominate ;)

message 29: by Lu (last edited Oct 11, 2010 08:52AM) (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Update:

2. Biopunk
5. Read some Space Opera
7. Read a book that has a Alien or Aliens (people from another planet, from space) of some kind in it
8. Cyberpunk
9. Short stories. SF is a big short story genre, with some of the most exciting, inventive tales out there, so read a collection of sf short stories.
10. Read a Sci-Fi dystopia

message 30: by Crusader (new)

Ok. My nominations for this week:

Read hard sci-fi: Hard science fiction is a category of science fiction characterized by an emphasis on scientific or technical detail, or on scientific accuracy, or on both.

Examples: Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy - Red Mars

Read military sci-fi: Military science fiction is a subgenre of science fiction in which the principal characters are members of a military service and an armed conflict is taking place, normally in space, or on another planet. A detailed depiction of the conflict, the tactics used to wage it, and the role of a military service and the individual members of that service forms the basis for a work of military science fiction.

Examples:
Starship Troopers
War of Honor

message 31: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I have always wanted to read Starship Troopers!

message 32: by Crusader (new)

I haven't read it myself, that's kinda what gave me the idea. I'll have to see if I can find a copy so I can read it for this challenge. From what I heard it's very different from the movies.

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Yeah, I've also heard that it's very different - the focus is more on the politics and philosophy, I think.

message 34: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniqueurbanisedgeek) read a sci-fi that a prominant movie was based on.

message 35: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Oooooohh i like it

message 36: by Lauren (Sugar & Snark) (last edited Oct 15, 2010 08:43AM) (new)

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1262 comments Mod
In time before this week ends
I nominate

1. Read Romance and Sexuality in sci-fi
2. Read a sci-fi published between 2000-2010

message 37: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Update:

2. Biopunk
5. Read some Space Opera
7. Read a book that has a Alien or Aliens (people from another planet, from space) of some kind in it
8. Cyberpunk
9. Short stories. SF is a big short story genre, with some of the most exciting, inventive tales out there, so read a collection of sf short stories.
11. Read hard sci-fi: Hard science fiction is a category of science fiction characterized by an emphasis on scientific or technical detail, or on scientific accuracy, or on both
12. Read military sci-fi
13. Read a sci-fi that a prominent movie was based on
14. Read Romance and Sexuality in sci-fi
15. Read a sci-fi published between 2000-2010

Remember tomorrow is a new week!

message 38: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
New Week!

1. Read a sci-fi that has Robots/Companion bots etc. in them.

Example:

I, Robot (Robot, #1.0) by Isaac Asimov Girl Parts by John M. Cusick

2. Read a Sci-fi that has a authoritarian state/government

Example:

Matched by Ally Condie Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld

message 39: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniqueurbanisedgeek) other suggestions for your number 2, Lu...
The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry

message 40: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniqueurbanisedgeek) Read a Sci-Fi set on both Earth and another planet.

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1262 comments Mod
Read a YA Sci-Fi

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

message 42: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith 20. Read feminist sci fi.
Beginner's reading list here: http://www.feministsf.org/bibs/recomm... (please note that not everything on that list is a novel, and a few are fantasy, so just check before you choose).

21. Read sci fi that's won either the Hugo or the Nebula award.
Hugo: http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-his... (Winners are in red. Please pick only novels, not novellas or short stories).
Nebula: http://www.nebulaawards.com/index.php... (Again, please pick only novels. Some fantasy novels won the award as well, but they don't qualify for this challenge).

message 43: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Update:

2. Biopunk
5. Read some Space Opera
8. Cyberpunk
11. Read hard sci-fi: Hard science fiction is a category of science fiction characterized by an emphasis on scientific or technical detail, or on scientific accuracy, or on both
12. Read military sci-fi
13. Read a sci-fi that a prominent movie was based on
14. Read Romance and Sexuality in sci-fi
15. Read a sci-fi published between 2000-2010
16. Read a sci-fi that has Robots/Companion bots etc. in them
17. Read a Sci-fi that has a authoritarian state/government
18. Read a Sci-Fi set on both Earth and another planet
19. Read a YA Sci-Fi
20. Read feminist sci fi
21. Read sci fi that's won either the Hugo or the Nebula award

message 44: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Almost there :)

Maybe Lauren and Novel will think of another one and Crusader will nominate :)

message 45: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments Hmmm... what about:

1. Read a sci-fi book which involves or includes elements of nature (i.e. plants or animals)

2. Read a sci-fi book which involves or includes time travel.

message 46: by Crusader (new)

Read an alternate history novel.

message 47: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Can I change my feminist sf nomination (no.20) to this: Sci fi about an ecological disaster (on Earth or any other planet)?

message 48: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Crusader wrote: "Read an alternate history novel."

Crusader, would you say World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War counts as alternate history? Some people have shelved it as such, but I'm not too familiar with the genre.

message 49: by Crusader (new)

I think that rather falls into horror or the like. Alternate history deals with what things would be like if something happened differently.

What if Russia won the space race? What if Neaderthals developed alongside humans etc.

message 50: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Yeah, I thought perhaps the Zombie War thing was a little too recent too, so it doesn't really count as history.

I think I'll check out The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Micahel Chabon.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.