Military Readers & Writers discussion

On Call in Hell: A Doctor's Iraq War Story

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:05AM) (new)

Jeff Brailey | 2 comments Mod
I began reading this book the other night and have finished the first three chapters. It's no Red Badge of Courage and is not as descriptive as I thought it would be, but Jadick is very readable so far

message 2: by Johnny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:10AM) (new)

Johnny | 1 comments Try Nathaniel Fick's "One Bullet Away" You can compare it to the journalist's book who rode with him (also serialized in Rolling Stone magazine.) It's the first time I can think of two men in the same squad, if you will, writing about the same experiences.

Also there's a book by a guy named Bing ( ? I think that's his name, he was undersecratary of Defense or something under Reagan back in the day ) about the Marines and the Fallujah campaign. It's like Hammel with the big picture interspersed with the individual accounts. There's another book written about the same tour by a reporter from San Fran or Oakland which is just terrible. -JW

message 3: by Louis (new)

Louis | 3 comments You are thinking of Bing West, No True Glory. For those whose sense of history is a bit longer, he is author of "The Village" based on (I think) his experiences as a marine officer in Vietnam in one campaign. Usually, "The Village" is touted as an example of how to do things right.

Fallujah is also discussed in Tom Ricks "Fiasco", but from a higher level point of view. It seems to mostly point out how the Marines did not want to go into Fallujah I, but were forced to by higher authority, and were pulled out. But had more time to plan for Fallujah II.