[asmb] Book Club discussion

Archives > The Satanic Verses - Spoiler Edition

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (last edited Sep 30, 2010 10:25AM) (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) | 703 comments Mod
Spoil away!

Synopsis:
An erudite study of good and evil, a feast of language served up by a writer at the height of his powers, and a rollicking comic fable. The book begins with two Indians, Gibreel Farishta ("for fifteen years the biggest star in the history of the Indian movies") and Saladin Chamcha, a Bombay expatriate returning from his first visit to his homeland in 15 years, plummeting from the sky after the explosion of their jetliner, and proceeds through a series of metamorphoses, dreams and revelations.

--------------------
Stats

Book: The Satanic Verses
Author: Salman Rushie
Pages: 576
Genre: Fantasy?
Nominator: ApolloDavid
Month: October 2010
BotM Number: 3

message 2: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) | 703 comments Mod
If you've already read this, what was your favorite thing about the book?

message 3: by Katt_goddess (new)

Katt_goddess | 267 comments Finally finished it.

While it was an ok book, I felt that it started slow, took forever to really get into, and didn't seem to coagulate until at least halfway through [which is a pitiful thing when halfway through is like 300 pages]. If it weren't for the name itself and the whole idiotic controversary attached to it, I don't think it would have sold half as well as it has.

And maybe I'm just used to most Pagans having a sense of humor about much of the things in their various belief systems but once again, I'm probably going to have to go do actual research as to what specific parts in the book required a call to jihad. Because if the biggest thing they have is the thread of "Doubt" weaving through the novel, they really need to get out more. If the Islamic Fundie-Psychos wanted to kill this book, they should have just tried shutting their mouths and ignoring it. :P