September 2010: The Year of Living Biblically

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 31 comments Mod
September/October 2010

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 31 comments Mod
I should have posted up my review right away but considering it's been a few months since I finished the book, I'm having a hard time remembering the details. But I can say that I really enjoyed reading the book. I don't think I've yet read a book in our book club that I despised, but this was one of the most interesting books. It had a slow start, and I was afraid I may not enjoy it as much, but as I read more, I began to really enjoy the author's viewpoints and experience. I got annoyed with him several times when he mentioned his first book and how much he checks amazon reviews, but I guess he's only human. I tried not to think that he was promoting his other book as well (which by the way I'd like to read also). In the end, I'm glad he went through with it. I could have never done it myself and was glad someone was intense enough to share the experiences.

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 3 comments I was skeptical at first but I came to really enjoy this book and recommend it to other friends as well. As a Christian, I did believe that many of the Biblical points he focused on weren't as important as others he either ignored (such as accepting the divinity of Christ) and that he misunderstood others by taking them literally in 21st century America but it did make for some amusing commentary. One could question the point of Jacobs's book, following the Bible and its teachings without accepting the divinity of Christ, but I was surprised to see that there was this subtle transformation that the author made during his year. As Jacobs says, "I pretended to be a better person and I became a little bit of a better person."

The book succeeds because Jacobs is a witty writer and possesses a self-deprecating sense of humor. The book also takes a more serious twist in the end with the death of his neighbor and the birth of his twins.

(As an aside, I also enjoyed his jokes about Brown University. He wrote (loosely paraphrased) that Brown University was the sort of school where one could write an essay about the symbolism of bong studies in literature and get a B. I'm surprised he didn't get an A)

AJ Jacobs's TED lecture on the book can be found here: http://www.ted.com/talks/a_j_jacobs_y...