What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > Teen Welsh nationalists

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gilly (new)

Gilly (gilana) | 1 comments OK, I read this in probably the late 70s or early 80s from the YA section of my library, and I've been trying to find it for years now, but I don't remember much. It was about an American girl, I believe, who ended up in Wales for school, I think college. I remember her learning the phrase "bore day" (good morning) from a teacher, and I remember some of the other teen characters being Welsh nationalists, but that's about it. Anyone have any guesses? Thanks!

message 2: by CLM (new)

CLM | 302 comments Not sure, but could it be A String in the Harp by Nancy Bond? The characters are younger: three teenagers move to Wales unwillingly (if I recall correctly, their mother had died and the father was a professor and thought they all needed a complete change of scenery). Extremely good in a Susan Cooper-ish way.

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 52 comments Probably others will remember this better and tell me it's not it, but how about Catrin in Wales by Mabel Esther Allan? I don't remember many of the details, but Catrin is a stranger to Wales, I think, though I'm not sure if she's British or American, and I remember some young men characters, though not whether they were nationalists.

message 4: by CLM (new)

CLM | 302 comments I don't own this Allan (although own about 30 of her books, amazingly) but here is the description, and I think Wendy is right:

When 16 year old Catrin went for a short visit to Wales before settling down for work in London, she little suspected she would stay for the summer and longer because of a sick aunt. How she coped with the situation, became the custodian of an historic building, overcame the wariness of the villagers, participated in the Welsh national life, and found friendship and romance in the colorful, picturesque community, make for another fine teenage story..."

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40197 comments Mod
Catrin in Wales for Wendy's link.

Gilly, was that your book?

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21024 comments Looking at the Google Books snippet view, it does contain "bore day" and the characters talk about Welsh nationalists.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40197 comments Mod
Gilly, are you still looking for this or did you find it?