Classic Horror Lovers discussion

Book Discussion Threads > The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde *Spoilers Likely*

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 1347 comments Mod
This thread is to read and discuss The Picture of Dorian Gray through the month of October (and possibly beyond).

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

I finished it this past Saturday, and I thought it was a very good book. I like Wilde's writing. This was definitely psychological horror. I liked the aspect of the portrait as a manifestation of the evil of Dorian Gray's soul. I posted a long review, but I won't bore y'all.

Has anyone else read this? Care to discuss it?

What were the things you got out of this story?

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 212 comments Hi Danielle, what did you think of the Lord Henry character's place in the story? I've read the attitude or idea that he was sort of Mephistopheles to Dorian's Faust. I didn't get that, and I don't think Wilde had that in mind either. (The book raised my curiosity about Wilde as there are some decidedly "traditional values" on display here). I thought Dorian was always the villain of the piece (he was willing when we first met him to manipulate Basil) with Lord Henry as a sort of excuse. (the novel he gives Dorian and the ideas he spouts which are shown to be rank foolishness in the book itself at times)... Oops. I've gone on about what I thought, sorry.

Anyway, what was your take on the relationship?

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

For a while, I did feel like Lord Henry sort of acted as the bad side of Dorian's conscience, whereas Basil was the good side. As a final analysis, I'm not sure I'd cast Lord Henry as the villain. Dorian always had choices, and he chose his fate. And he went a lot further down the path of debauchery than Lord Henry ever stepped. I've never read Faust. I would assume that Mephistopheles is more active in his corruption of Faust.

I do think that Lord Henry said some things that Dorian took too deeply to heart; and as a young, impressionable man, a blank slate, took as his motto. However, maturity should have proven that Lord Henry was full of crap, if you wil forgive my crudity.

Ultimately, we cannot blame anyone for our decisions but ourselves. Dorian seemed completely uncapable of taking responsiblity for his actions.
Not sure I answered your question. :)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 212 comments The thing that finally decided me on my thoughts was not only Dorian's early willingness to use Basil but even to the end he continues to vow to change yet never does. When he causes the first death his main concern is for how it will all effect him. He's sorry Sibyl's dead, but only because of how it effects him. I think he's like the thief who's "not sorry he stole, but is very, very sorry he got caught".

I mean to run down more on Wilde himself after reading this book.

How did you like the ending?

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Yeah, Dorian was a very selfish person. Poor Basil. I felt bad for the guy. He was so nice. I thought the ending was very good and justified. Pretty creepy too. :)

message 7: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 95 comments I must download this one- I'm sure its on Project Gutenberg

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 212 comments I also liked the abruptness of the ending, the finality so to speak.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Larry, it is on Project Gutenberg. :)

Mike, the ending was very fitting.

message 10: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 95 comments Yea its also on manybooks.net, as well as another ghost story

message 11: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 14 comments I read this book some years ago. This is a must read. A classic, not just a horror classic.

message 12: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 80 comments Definitely agree, a sure classic.