Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > October 2010 book is. . . .

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela Cheney | 255 comments Mod
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson ! So it looks like we're going to enter into the world of Lisbeth Salander this month and see who could be so foolish as to mess with her! Some most likely have already read this book, but be sure to stop by and comment anyway, revisiting this adventure, over the course of this month. Let the reading begin!

message 2: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments I just read this about two months ago and absolutely loved it! I hope anybody trying to read it and can't really get into just keeps on reading because it is a fantastic book.

message 3: by Angela (new)

I also read it about two months ago and thought it dragged a bit in the early part of the book, but once I got into it, I couldn't put it down!

message 4: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo When I catch up with all the books I now have started I might finally get to it since I have the hc of the book. I was saving it because the border's book club was going to read it. But I never heard if they were continuing it after the girl doing it left. She wanted to continue it and would even if we didn't do it though the bookstore but I never got a email so I saw the book last night while looking for something else and Pulled it out so it would be in sight when I wanted it.

message 5: by Angela (new)

I thought you might like to see this info about the author from the Barnes and Noble site (I didn't know that the author had started a 4th book in the series!):

About the Author

• Birth—August 15, 1954
• Where—Vasterbotton, Sweden
• Death—November 9, 2004
• Where—Stockholm Sweden

Born in Västerbotten in northern Sweden in 1954, Stieg Larsson had a professional career that bears a striking resemblance to that of the protagonist of his Millennium thrillers, Mikael Blomkvist. Beginning as a graphic designer for the news agency Tidningarnas Telegrambyrå (TT), Larsson went on to become the chief editor of Expo, the magazine published by the Expo Foundation, an organization he helped establish in 1995 to combat racism and the Swedish right-wing extremist movement.

Inspired by an old joke shared with a colleague at TT, Larsson admitted he started writing the Millennium novels—The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest—just for fun. Describing them as "pension insurance," Larsson said he enjoyed the process of fiction writing so much that he didn't make contact with a publisher until he had completed the first two and had a third under way.

Though Larsson died of a heart attack in 2004 and never saw any of his books in print, all three were subsequently published in Scandinavia and continental Europe to great acclaim. He left behind the unfinished manuscript for a fourth book in the series. (From Barnes & Noble.)

message 6: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments I actually did know that. From my understanding he had an outline for up to the 10th book in the series. And now the big debate is between his parents and the significant other on whether to sell these and have someone else finish the series.

message 7: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo What I heard was a girlfriend has his computer and it's on his computer and she won't give it up. Unless that has changed.

message 8: by Angela (new)

Wow! Some of the back story around these novels is fascinating in itself!

message 9: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (mattnoir) Wow, crazy I just joined this group, and I just started reading this book a few days ago. Good timing on my part.

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 360 comments OMG!!!! I can't believe I found the Nook group by accident and very glad that I have. Hi guys, my name is Linda, I have had my Nook for about 4 mths and I'm loving it!!! :) On my Nook, I am reading Harlan Coben's Plad Dead, this is the first book that he wrote and he recently re released it. I just started reading it today, so not sure how I am feeling about it. So far it is not like his other books, but I will stay with it, I am sure that I will end up liking it, since he is one of my favorite authors. I can't believe you guys are reading The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo, I have had mixed emotions about reading this series.

message 11: by Angela (new)

Welcome, Matthew and Linda! Just to let you know, we start nominating books to read for the next month around the 15th, a poll goes up a week later for voting, and then we start the new book on the first of the month.

But you're just in time for the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo!

I don't usually like the questions posed as the discussion questions that you can find on-line or in the back of books, but this one struck me as interesting:

8. Were you surprised by the book's portrayal of right-wing fanaticism and violence against women in a country known for its liberal views?

I really am surprised! Sometimes it's so easy to have a surface impression of another country and be blinded to its polar opposite/dark side.

Is anyone in this group actually from Sweden and can tell us what you think about this?

message 12: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Oct 07, 2010 02:41PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I watched the foreign film adaptation and enjoyed it, but not enough to want to read the book afterward(even though I'm sure the book was better).

Usually I try to read the book first, but in this case it was streaming instantly on Netflix, so I jumped on it.

I'd be curious to see what the differences are between the movie and book. Has anyone read/watched both? I'm also curious to see how bad/good the American version of this movie is going to turn out.

message 13: by James (new)

James Allen (james_allen) Read this book back in August. One of my favorite. Just finished The Girl Who Played With Fire and it was even better!

Believe me, you don't want to mess with Lisbeth!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.